• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best M-422A Repro

bseal

There seem to be several people/companies making reproduction M-422A flight jackets. Getting one to wear is on my list. However, I am not well informed enough (nice way of saying that I'm totally ignorant) of the makers . The price range is from around USD $1200+ to less than USD $300. That's quite a spread. All are stated to be goatskin with mouton collars and appear, to me, to be the same. What's a good M-422A for just wearing about occasionally? Thoughts?

FWIW, I have my G-1 being restored. The purpose of this jacket is an homage to my Father's jacket and the memories of it from my early childhood.

What size are you?

tda003

Thomas.m: Thank you for the video. It's quite informative. I had to watch it several times. Being a Southerner, I had trouble with his accent.

bseal: Currently 44. If I were buying now, I'd probably remeasure depending on maker.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

If you happen to go for an original, make sure to check the measurements, I find that they normally run 1 size larger. My 40 runs like a 42, and both of my 42's run like a 44.

Size: 40
F9B9CCA0-8544-4209-960B-8A2B8E75F21B.jpeg

Size: 42
180EF999-9A36-4729-8204-46D3A5F96F16.jpeg

tda003

Torn. Would prefer an original. However 2 in my size (44, original) are sad. One has nothing left useable except the leather itself. Cuffs, collar, waistband, lining and label are perished. Even at a reasonable price, restoration would set me back a packet. The other is generally in better shape except the back by the collar is damaged. looks like someone scuffed/pealed the skin off in about a 2"x3" patch, which puts that one in need of a whole back panel. To me, they seem over priced for what's there.
Fried Osterman Co. US Navy Flight Leather Jacket M-422A 1406-A | eBay
Original WW2 M422A Navy Flight Jacket - Rare Large Size | eBay

Anyone's thoughts?

bseal. Budget is flexible. However, it appears to me that the cost of an upper end repro approaches what a full blown restoration of an original would run. That seems like a lot of money to honor a memory with a jacket that I'll rarely wear. If there is a decent quality for a more reasonable price, I'd be more amenable. Otherwise, I'll keep looking for a restorable original. I'm not concerned with sleeve length. The jacket can always be shortened. What sleeve length did you have in mind?

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Yes, originals can be a bit pricey, but another good option would be a pre-owned high end reproduction. Keep checking on ebay, you just have to be patient. Also, you can try some flight jacket related facebook groups. (Suit up!, Original & Reproduction USN/USMC Flight Jackets, etc.)

tda003

Should fit well. Will post pictures when it arrives. Also pictures of my restored G-1 when it arrives and my restored B-3 when it arrives. Additionally, I have an A-2 by Cooper which I had repaired and a name tag for my daughter being sewn on. I'll show pictures of the repair before I send it off to have her business logo painted on front and back as a Christmas present for her. (Don't let the cat out of the bag.)

leper-colony