• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best M-422A Repro

tda003

There seem to be several people/companies making reproduction M-422A flight jackets. Getting one to wear is on my list. However, I am not well informed enough (nice way of saying that I'm totally ignorant) of the makers . The price range is from around USD $1200+ to less than USD $300. That's quite a spread. All are stated to be goatskin with mouton collars and appear, to me, to be the same. What's a good M-422A for just wearing about occasionally? Thoughts?

FWIW, I have my G-1 being restored. The purpose of this jacket is an homage to my Father's jacket and the memories of it from my early childhood.

mulceber

For any Navy jackets, you can't do better than the VLJ's own Dave Sheeley. He is to Navy jackets what John Chapman is to A-2 jackets.

Kermit3D

John Chapman also makes beautiful M-422 :
(In a typical John Chapman pose : the right arm slightly bent, looking at the horizon :cool:)

M422A_Ed_Church.jpg

M-422_Monarch.jpg

Monarch_M422_Jacket.jpg

gf_m322a.jpg

MaydayWei

Don't forget Headwind's new Church.
650 USD. And IMO, Jay absolutely nailed the vintage USN goatskin. Looks exactly as the originals should.

usn-goat-jpg.60239

Spitfireace

For the cost of a GW or an ELC I'd rather hunt down an original and restore it if need be. Not to put down a GW. If you want a repro of course it is the best. Yes, I realize we are talking repro. I notice that particular contract that you are wearing Nick does not have a pen/pencil slot in the left pocket. I see the four JC pics are different contracts?

tda003

Still weighing options. If I decide to have an original restored, who do I use? Sorry to pepper with questions, but I'm both new and uninformed.

Spitfireace

Good Wear and Eastman Leather Clothing. The two top tier makers. GW is the generally regarded as the best in the business. A long wait time to get the jacket as he is a one man show, and also not cheap. Worth it, but you have to be dedicated to waiting a long time and shelling out top dollar. ELC is overpriced in my opinion. That Fried Osterman is going to need a total restoration so $500 US is probably a couple of hundred dollars too much. I can see that the two sides of the zipper don't line up so it looks like it was replaced at some point, the whole thing needs to come apart to restore it. Maybe look for a better example. Take your time and don't be in a rush.

tda003

Spitfire,

Thanks very much. I'll keep looking. Seller probably knows he's over priced. Came down $100 dollars without my asking or saving.

Nickb123

For the cost of a GW or an ELC I'd rather hunt down an original and restore it if need be. Not to put down a GW. If you want a repro of course it is the best. Yes, I realize we are talking repro. I notice that particular contract that you are wearing Nick does not have a pen/pencil slot in the left pocket. I see the four JC pics are different contracts?

interestingly, it’s actually a Willis and Geiger M-422 rather than a 22a. Sorry for failing to specify.

tda003

Just for the record, my father was directly commissioned as a 1st lt. into the Marine Corps reserve in early 1941. When I saw his flight jacket, I was about 6 which would have made it about 1951. I don't know that I ever saw the label and it wouldn't have made an impression upon me anyway. What did was the collar which had considerably more pointed collar tips than mine. Thus, I'm guessing it to be an M-422A. If early G-1 jackets had those pointed collars, it could have been an early G-2 since I don't know when it was issued to him. Plus, I don't know about when the collar shape changed. It's strange how certain things stand out. For instance, my earliest memory in life is seeing the cadets at West Point on their Saturday parade. They were coming up a rise and I remember the plumes of the cadet officers starting to appear before I saw the cadets themselves. Inasmuch as I was still a babe in my mother's arms, this ought not to be so and yet it is so. Today I don't even remember why I have walked into a room (bathroom excluded).

mulceber

If he joined in 1941, then it’s either M-422 or 22a. I’m not an expert on Navy jackets, but my impression is that 1941 is around when the 22a was just starting to be issued, so I’m not sure there’s any way to know whether he was assigned one of the new jackets or one of the old jackets.