• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best M-422A Repro

mulceber

Looks to be generally in pretty good condition. Good purchase! Once you get it, I'd look it over and see if there are any obvious parts of the jacket that need work. Conditioning you can do yourself, but much beyond that, it would be worth your while to contact Sheeley, who also does restorations. He replaced the knit cuffs on my original AN-J-3 from WW2, using the original stitch holes and managing to perfectly match both the thread color and the knit color to what was already on the jacket.
0550C6CE-2DA8-43D6-9CEF-09226E0E7D49_1_105_c.jpeg

2B754C30-067C-44D6-9925-6B72B4E36D9D_1_105_c.jpeg

tda003

Thanks. After I get it, I'll look it over, clean and condition the leather. I've always used Lexol, but I understand petroleum jelly is the thing to use. Works on me.

mulceber

Yep, I've yet to hear of anyone having problems with it. You just want REALLY light coats: get a little bit of it on your fingers, rub it between them until your fingers are just greasy, then massage the jacket with them. Keep re-greasing your fingers and massaging the jacket until it's entirely coated. You can always apply another coat later, but removing it if you apply too much is a lot harder. ;)

AlexLutov

Looks to be generally in pretty good condition. Good purchase! Once you get it, I'd look it over and see if there are any obvious parts of the jacket that need work. Conditioning you can do yourself, but much beyond that, it would be worth your while to contact Sheeley, who also does restorations. He replaced the knit cuffs on my original AN-J-3 from WW2, using the original stitch holes and managing to perfectly match both the thread color and the knit color to what was already on the jacket.
View attachment 63186
View attachment 63187
Wow!! perfect fit, I thought these jackets from the time of the war and did not remain at all...this is amazing!! to be honest, AN-J-3 is more interesting to me than g-1, although I do not mind having all types of jackets)))

tda003

The M-422A and G-1 are a part of my personal history as is WWII (my Father) and Viernam (me) and the Marine Corps (both), whereas the others, although quite interesting, don't have that same affection.
Of course, having said that, I own a B-3, which is decidedly not USMC and live in Florida which will likely never get cold enough to warrant wearing it. I guess when it comes, I'll just put it on, sit in the beer cooler at my local convenience store and watch "Twelve O'Clock High" on my laptop.

B-Man2

The M-422A and G-1 are a part of my personal history as is WWII (my Father) and Viernam (me) and the Marine Corps (both), whereas the others, although quite interesting, don't have that same affection.
Of course, having said that, I own a B-3, which is decidedly not USMC and live in Florida which will likely never get cold enough to warrant wearing it. I guess when it comes, I'll just put it on, sit in the beer cooler at my local convenience store and watch "Twelve O'Clock High" on my laptop.
Ahh… another Florida b-3 guy :)
It’s tough to get much use out of shearling jackets down here, but that doesn’t stop us from liking them, does it ?
Ive found that it’s kind of hopeless trying to wear one unless you live in Northern Florida or the Pan Handle in the winter time . I found that traveling to the mountains of Northwest Georgia occasionally at winter let’s me get a few days a year wear out of mine .

tda003

My M-422A is due to arrive on Thursday, probable late PM. I'll wait for Friday sun (fingers crossed here) and take and post pictures. Thoughts on which area of the forum to post them? If not on this thread, I'll post here saying where. It could actually be Saturday when I can post. (Family coming for birthday celebration and cleaning up little tufts of soft dog hair and paw prints could take some time, but a worthwhile undertaking.)

entertainment

My M-422A is due to arrive on Thursday, probable late PM. I'll wait for Friday sun (fingers crossed here) and take and post pictures. Thoughts on which area of the forum to post them? If not on this thread, I'll post here saying where. It could actually be Saturday when I can post. (Family coming for birthday celebration and cleaning up little tufts of soft dog hair and paw prints could take some time, but a worthwhile undertaking.)
Probably worth starting a new thread in the "Vintage" forum, unless there is already an appropriate thread there.

tda003

Got the M-422A today. Cleaning house for folks coming by this evening and there is a lot of little silky hair left for me by my setter., so I'll take pictures tomorrow and post in the Vintage forum and note it here for anyone interested. It's really quite good Probably some mending in a spot on the waist band when I find someone to do it properly. A small bit of wear to the collar which I like as it gives it extra panache. After all, I'm about the same age and need all the panache that I can get. Back to work.