• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Belstaff returns to England

ghq1

This comment following the article provides a delicious counterpoint to the triumphal return:

''This autumn, the company that manufactured the world's first waxed cotton jackets' Er no. As is pointed out later in this atrociously written and abysmally ill informed piece the company was founded in 1924. Barbour were founded in the previous century and it was they who were responsible for waxing cotton and turning it into clothing. Most of Belstaff's product (a few motorcycle jackets excepted) has long been regarded as utterly naff and gruesomely overpriced. It's good to know they are going back to their rugged British roots but it is doubtful they will produce anything as tough as they once did or as Barbour still do. This really is head-up-the-arse writing.

Gruesomely overpriced -- too apt! (*cough* Rickson . . .*cough* ELC elite etc)

John Lever

I think some of the first wax cotton jackets were made from sail cloth in New Zealand, the precursors of Backhouse [?]

havocpaul

It will take some convincing for them to return from their 'fashion-brand' jackets of recent times to proper motorcycle clothing such as they made in the 50's and 60's, I have an early 1960's red label Sammy Miller Belstaff that, despite being owned and worn daily by a biker since then until he sold it to me 2 years back, is still as tough as nails.

m444uk

ghq1 said:
''This autumn, the company that manufactured the world's first waxed cotton jackets' Er no. As is pointed out later in this atrociously written and abysmally ill informed piece the company was founded in 1924. Barbour were founded in the previous century and it was they who were responsible for waxing cotton and turning it into clothing.

When did Barbour actually start using wax cotton though ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waxed_cotton

m444uk

The rent on the Belstaff New Bond st. store is £3 million pa for 25,000 sq. ft. according to the Evening Standard business section. The third most expensive rent in the UK. Definitely high end fashion not a utility brand !