• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B10: Winter and Fall

better duck

Hi guys,

Winter is not only beautiful snowy landscapes, cozily sipping wine by the fireplace and fun. Yesterday I took a nosedive when my bicycle violently slid from underneath me on a sneakily frozen road. I can tell you, when falling with a bike, you fall a long way and asphalt is tough stuff. I was wearing my new ELC B10, and it took a pretty beating too, the most damage being done to the pocket as you see here.

IMG_5885.jpg

Apart from a few bruises, a painful knee and a slightly sprained wrist (I was wearing my GS ELC A10, which saved my hands from roadrash) I am alright.

Now to the question: any ideas as to how to repair this? Something similar must have happened to the original jackets too: anybody seen any period repairs on cloth jackets, that I can take a lead from?
Of course I can always contact ELC about fixing it, maybe with an entirely new pocket, but that's the expensive route.

joeson

The usual way is to place a piece of cloth underneath the damaged area and then zig-zag back and forward over the hole/tear with a sewing machine.I have a few jackets with this kind of repair on them,and also lots of vintage denim.I actually like this kind of repair as it adds character.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
joeson said:
The usual way is to place a piece of cloth underneath the damaged area and then zig-zag back and forward over the hole/tear with a sewing machine.

Yes, my local surplus store has a row of GAP M-65's, different colours, and all pre-repaired like that in the same places ... they look great.

Glad you came out okay, Peter, and still chirpy enough to write a snappy title. :cool:

better duck

deeb7 said:
Glad you came out okay, Peter, and still chirpy enough to write a snappy title. :cool:

Thanks, Dave, me too! When I got up I was really worried about major damage to myself and the jacket. Luckely the both of us are made of sturdier stuff. And yep, I like playing around with language, be it in my native Dutch, or my much beloved English. Glad you appreciate it!

greyhound52

I don't think a new pocket would look right on the jacket but you could ask perhaps they could weather it a bit before they put it on. They did that for the original Doniger I have which really turned out well. You can barely tell the difference.

havocpaul

I recall my favourite original B-10 I had back in the early '80's had the pocket repaired from behind, done during the war. When you look at original photos of wartime B-10's they sure took a pasting and were often torn, stained and battered, all the better for it IMO! I'm sure it won't be long before BR or the like start wear-ageing their cloth jackets, after all, Levi's has been 'attacking' their denim for the aged-look for a long time. Maybe you just accidently got yourself a 50.Cal B-10!!

Steve27752

Ouch! Glad you are okay though.................As for the pocket, I would contact Gary and see hhow much it would cost too fix.

dujardin

wowwwwwwwww Peter,

happy you're okay after this accident.
your jacket will have some caracter with a small repair.
you don't speak about the damage on the ''machine''; i hope it's not too serious.

pitty the tear on your jacket is not located on the breast; just a patch and it was forgotten.

see you later

marcel

Steve Canyon

Sorry for the accident. But, talking about the ELC B-10. Since summer 2009 I have a B-10 too; despite the repair, how to clean this twill-cotton jacket?

My wife dislikes me wearing a B-10, because of removing potential stains, and how does the B-10 behave when it snows, etc.
Leather is far more easy to clean and has less problems regarding some rain and snow...
I now wearing the B-10 during dry and cold weather, or in the car.
(I have an ELC B-3 too, however temperatures are too often about zero degrees, even this winter.)

Peter Graham

Steve Canyon said:
My wife dislikes me wearing a B-10, because of removing potential stains, and how does the B-10 behave when it snows, etc.
Leather is far more easy to clean and has less problems regarding some rain and snow...
I now wearing the B-10 during dry and cold weather, or in the car.
(I have an ELC B-3 too, however temperatures are too often about zero degrees, even this winter.)
I wouldn't worry too much. I've worn my original B-10 in pouring rain and heavy snow with no ill effects. Peter, I reckon, as suggested, a military style criss cross repair would be the best option and will add character to the jacket.

better duck

Peter Graham said:
Peter, I reckon, as suggested, a military style criss cross repair would be the best option and will add character to the jacket.

Yeh, I'm thinking along this line too: no use pampering those jackets, and keeping them like new is not the way (a loosing battle anyway) I'll keep you guys posted!

Steve Canyon

Curahee said:
Why not just send it back to Eastman for repairs ?
Including shipping (twice), total cost could be about 150 bucks.
As far as I know, the ELC B-10 is made in China. And I don't know, ELC has sufficient repair-expertise. Last year for instance, my '90s ELC horsehide A-2 needed replacement of the (rather fragile) knits (cuffs, waistband), and ELC applied new stichholes, now my A-2 is about 1 inch shorter... :evil:

better duck

Steve Canyon said:
Curahee said:
Why not just send it back to Eastman for repairs ?
Including shipping (twice), total cost could be about 150 bucks.
As far as I know, the ELC B-10 is made in China. And I don't know, ELC has sufficient repair-expertise. Last year for instance, my '90s ELC horsehide A-2 needed replacement of the (rather fragile) knits (cuffs, waistband), and ELC applied new stichholes, now my A-2 is about 1 inch shorter... :evil:

Apart from all that, I'd like it to look like a (semi) professionally done fieldrepair. After all, it must have happenend countless times with the cloth jackets: little accidents in and around planes and on and off base, a protruding piece of metal or equipment, a nail in the barracks and what not (even falling off bikes in wintry England!). My guess would be, that these tears would be repaired quickly (if at all) without replacement of panels, pockets or whatever damage there was.
It is a pity I damaged my jacket for sure, but I regard them as objects to be used and enjoyed, and I will still do that with a little damage to the jacket. All in the game.
Once I get it repaired, I'll post pics!

BTW Steve, sorry to hear about your bad experience with ELC. The jobs they have done for me, replacing zippers and cuffs were perfectly done.

better duck

"I'd like it to look like a (semi) professionally done fieldrepair" I said in my previous post on this topic.
Well gents, here are the results; up to you to judge this satisfactory and up to standard - or not.

Two close-ups:

IMG_5920.jpg

IMG_5921.jpg

And one from about three feet:

IMG_5922.jpg

I'm happy with the result, and started wearing my B10 again! Love the jacket, fitwise even more than the also great B15

dujardin

repair looks great Peter.
not a problem for a cotton jacket to be repaired like that.
as you mention, many of genuine jacket were damaged and repaired this way .
this is now your personnal jacket; you can recognise her anywhere.

byeeeeee marcel

CBI

Looks good. Commenting on an earlier post of this thread..........

Do any of our wives like us wearing any of our flight jackets? :evil:

Perhaps better as a different thread ;)