• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-6 ELC vs AERO

Serghei87

Dear All,

I hope you all had a nice xmas evening with lots of good food drinks and gifts!

I am starting of thinking already of my next jacket and the one that caught my attention was the B-6 model.

Which are the good and bad difference between the ELC and AERO in your opinion? Which would you choose in terms of quality?

I live in Luxembourg and here normally the temperature is never below 0. But now the temp is around 5 degrees.

Is this jacket warm enough for luxembourgish weather? Or i need a B-3?

If someone has it, how would you describe it to me in terms of comfort, practicality?

Thanks!

tjoenn

I have an ELC B-6 Roughwear. Winters in Stavanger are normally pretty mild, so I wear the B-6 probably about 80% of the time. Did a two hour walk/hike today, it was around 1C and the B-6 was warm enough, but just barely (with just a long-sleeve shirt under). Normally I wear my ANJ-4 when it dips below 3-4C, especially if it's windy. At temps below negative 2-3C, I break out my all time favorite, B-3 mixed batch Perry. I think you'll be very happy with a B-6 in Luxembourg. Don't know about the AERO, all of my repros are Eastman, and the broken grain hide on the RW is awesome. Glad I got my repros before the price increase though!!

Serghei87

I have an ELC B-6 Roughwear. Winters in Stavanger are normally pretty mild, so I wear the B-6 probably about 80% of the time. Did a two hour walk/hike today, it was around 1C and the B-6 was warm enough, but just barely (with just a long-sleeve shirt under). Normally I wear my ANJ-4 when it dips below 3-4C, especially if it's windy. At temps below negative 2-3C, I break out my all time favorite, B-3 mixed batch Perry. I think you'll be very happy with a B-6 in Luxembourg. Don't know about the AERO, all of my repros are Eastman, and the broken grain hide on the RW is awesome. Glad I got my repros before the price increase though!!
How does it behave under rain?? What about the fit? Did you choose a more body tight fit because of how the arms and the back are made ? Or more large? Thanks for the feedback :) can you send me some photos to see how it looks after some years of use?

interbak

A B-6 will be plenty warm for temps in the range of 0C. I wear a D-1 (same weight fleece) easily in -5 to -10C Canadian winters with a wool sweater. The B-3 almost never needs to come out.

B

Officer Dibley

How does it behave under rain?? What about the fit? Did you choose a more body tight fit because of how the arms and the back are made ? Or more large? Thanks for the feedback :) can you send me some photos to see how it looks after some years of use?

Bearing in mind the B-3 was never designed for wet weather - strictly the inside of an aircraft - i’m not sure why you’d want to wear it in more than a quick shower ..... the collar alone will soak up water

Serghei87

Bearing in mind the B-3 was never designed for wet weather - strictly the inside of an aircraft - i’m not sure why you’d want to wear it in more than a quick shower ..... the collar alone will soak up water
It is because here in Luxembourg rains very often and unpredictably.. so i wonder if i am caught under rain how it responds..but i do not pretend to wear it under rain of course :)

A2 B3au

B6 jackets are great for an everyday wearer in cooler climates, I’m pleased with my aero redskin version but I’d love an Eastman mixed batch type

adfrost

LOVE the Redskins!

An Aero redskin caught by eye, but it’s been really tough to tell how red they actually are. Some photos, they look almost bright red, and others, almost tan. Makes me a little gun shy, not knowing how red it actually is.

For instance, in this photo, it's a lovely brownish color:
14253ad29ec124c3_2b3-500.jpg

But in this photo, it's quite red, which is not as much to my taste.
aero_b3_redskin_51.jpg

Last edited:

adfrost

I can't speak to Eastman, but I've had an Aero B-6 since '06 and it's pretty much been my daily winter driver since. If it's never/rarely gets below zero it's honestly probably the perfect jacket for you. The pockets are convenient and work well as hand warmers - something the B-3 and Irvin do not have. The pile thickness on the shearling is just enough to be warm and wearable, and was supple pretty much from the day I got it. It's developed some surface wear since, but it probably adds character, if anything. I will say the along zipper broke two years into my ownership, but Aero replaced the zipper at no charge and it has been perfect since. One downside I see to the jacket design in general - and its a small one - is that it does not have a windflap, so that is the one area where wind can penetrate if it's cold and windy enough. The thickness (or lack thereof) will also become a problem at the cuffs over the years, as it pretty much gets worn off.

Shearling Wear
by Aaron Frost, on Flickr

Cuff Wear

Back

Front Unzipped

Front Zipped

Full photo album is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/88005189@N05/albums/72157712124901238/with/49190337523/

B-Man2

Unless you’re going to be working outdoors in a very cold climate the B-3 can be burdensome. You get overheated wearing it in and out of buildings, and going to and from your car. if you take it off, it becomes cumbersome trying to carry it around with you. If you travel and fly often, it’s a pain trying to stuff into the overhead bin only to have some dipshit stuff his carry on bag on top of your coat and then try to force the door closed crushing your jacket in the process.
It’s a great jacket for spending long periods working outside in freezing climates . Now .... having said all that ....I have one and I live in Florida .. so what the hell do I know :rolleyes:

Last edited:

crism1

I can't speak to Eastman, but I've had an Aero B-6 since '06 and it's pretty much been my daily winter driver since. If it's never/rarely gets below zero it's honestly probably the perfect jacket for you. The pockets are convenient and work well as hand warmers - something the B-3 and Irvin do not have. The pile thickness on the shearling is just enough to be warm and wearable, and was supple pretty much from the day I got it. It's developed some surface wear since, but it probably adds character, if anything. I will say the along zipper broke two years into my ownership, but Aero replaced the zipper at no charge and it has been perfect since. One downside I see to the jacket design in general - and its a small one - is that it does not have a windflap, so that is the one area where wind can penetrate if it's cold and windy enough. The thickness (or lack thereof) will also become a problem at the cuffs over the years, as it pretty much gets worn off.

Shearling Wear

Cuff Wear

Back

Front Unzipped

Front Zipped

Full photo album is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/88005189@N05/albums/72157712124901238/with/49190337523/
What a great jacket!

Serghei87

Shearling Wear

Cuff Wear

Back

Front Unzipped

Front Zipped

That was a very nice review :) thanks for taking your time :)) very helpful

adfrost

That was a very nice review :) thanks for taking your time :)) very helpful

I hope you found it helpful! Regardless of who you get one from, the basic design of the B-6 ensures you’re going to get a great jacket you can wear in a wide variety of fall/winter situations.

tjoenn

The weather here is pretty unpredictable as well, so I have been caught in the rain a couple of times and it's not been a problem. The hide acually repells the water fairly well (not like the veg-tanned A-2 which absorbs water like a sponge). The collar soaks up the water of course, but being fairly small and not very thick, it hasn't bothered me. I haven't been completely soaked though, the rain here is normally not very heavy.
I don't like to wear anything but a shirt under my jackets, so I tend to buy them fairly fit. The bi-swing back didn't change the fit for me. I wish I had gone for one size larger though, both because I could use just a little longer sleeves and I could use a sweater under it when temps drop below 0. I'll try to get some pictures when I get back to normality after my little Christmas vacation. Honestly it looks pretty much like new, except for sleeves starting to crease.

bfd70

I have an Aero D-1 and find it comfortable C -6 thru 2 depending on sun and wind. This is with a sweater. They also layer pretty easily. I have a shearling vest i add under as needed. Regarding Aero vs Eastman, and this is of course purely subjective. Eastman looks better, but the only sizing adjustments are long and extra long. Aero can be fully customized and is a bit less expensive.

Griffon_301

Finally there is some time to answer to this thread:

first of all - I love my B-6!
but, before heading out and getting one, I asked myself if I really needed it (well, useless question for members of this board anyhow but...) because you dish out some significant dineros to get one, no matter which maker;
if you want a jacket that keeps you warm during the worst the weather can throw at you, including rain, snow or other wet stuff, I would go for a N-1 deck jacket; easily as warm and way better in rain and wet conditions;
if you want a really warm jacket that keeps you warm through the coldest the weather can throw at you, get yourself an Irvin or an N-3B Parka; (I have worn the Irvin in temperatures down to -25°C (the doggies wanted out at night during our stay in the Tyrol last year, and yeah it was that cold there..);
advantage of the Irvin is that you can wear it with a light shirt underneath in below zero conditions and it still keeps you warm and comfy plus the Irvin has the best design of all shearlings in my opinion due to its windflap and collar design;
wear one of those rollneck sweaters underneath and you are set for any temperatures below zero you may encounter in Luxemburg; btw, when I did my Cargolux training there in November three years ago, I was happy to have my B-3 and B-10 with me, it was really cold there, even more so on the cargo terminal apron in the open hold of the 747;
before going for a B-6, you may also consider going the Alpaca way and get yourself a B-15A or B-10 (my preference lies with the B-15A due to its better pockets and I like that angled zipper); cheaper, lighter, just as warm and you can move around in a B-15A freely - in my opinion probably the best of the B-series jackets to come out of the war;

well, till now, I have provided only arguments against the B-6

BUT: if you want a jacket that looks great, feels great and can be worn in anything between -5 and +10 (and maybe even lower if you fit some pullover underneath), go for the B-6;
it has the additional advantage that in "higher" temperatures sheepskin feels way nicer than the alpaca lining in B-10/B-15s while lower down, the alpaca jackets work better IMHO;

again, the B-6 can be easily worn in snowfall or light rain, but I would not choose it in a downpour or heavy rain - did I mention that the N-1 is way better suited for such conditions?

FIT: if you want a very trim fit, go one size down from your usual sizing; if you want to be able to wear a sweater/pullover or even your A-2 underneath, stay with your jacket size;
I wear a 46 and this one fits easily over my A-2 (ELC RW27752) or any thicker pullover, giving me some more options when it gets really cold or windy;

AERO vs ELC: having owned both (the Aero only shortly though) I would opt for the ELC; the hide they use on their RW version is just great and the jacket looks awesome; the Aero was nice too, but the I did not like the hide (plus they sent the wrong size) so the decision to send it back was easy;
do not get me wrong: the Aero looked very nice too and if it had been in the right size, who knows; the ELC costs signicantly more now so an Aero might be a good option; their customer service is top notch and you can customize the sizing way more than with ELC, but then again, if you know your measurements and preferences for the fit, it will be easy to decide which size you take and I honestly believe that customized sizing is not necessary...

hope this helps a little bit, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask or pm

cheers from Vienna
phil

tjoenn

Finally there is some time to answer to this thread:

first of all - I love my B-6!
but, before heading out and getting one, I asked myself if I really needed it (well, useless question for members of this board anyhow but...) because you dish out some significant dineros to get one, no matter which maker;
if you want a jacket that keeps you warm during the worst the weather can throw at you, including rain, snow or other wet stuff, I would go for a N-1 deck jacket; easily as warm and way better in rain and wet conditions;
if you want a really warm jacket that keeps you warm through the coldest the weather can throw at you, get yourself an Irvin or an N-3B Parka; (I have worn the Irvin in temperatures down to -25°C (the doggies wanted out at night during our stay in the Tyrol last year, and yeah it was that cold there..);
advantage of the Irvin is that you can wear it with a light shirt underneath in below zero conditions and it still keeps you warm and comfy plus the Irvin has the best design of all shearlings in my opinion due to its windflap and collar design;
wear one of those rollneck sweaters underneath and you are set for any temperatures below zero you may encounter in Luxemburg; btw, when I did my Cargolux training there in November three years ago, I was happy to have my B-3 and B-10 with me, it was really cold there, even more so on the cargo terminal apron in the open hold of the 747;
before going for a B-6, you may also consider going the Alpaca way and get yourself a B-15A or B-10 (my preference lies with the B-15A due to its better pockets and I like that angled zipper); cheaper, lighter, just as warm and you can move around in a B-15A freely - in my opinion probably the best of the B-series jackets to come out of the war;

well, till now, I have provided only arguments against the B-6

BUT: if you want a jacket that looks great, feels great and can be worn in anything between -5 and +10 (and maybe even lower if you fit some pullover underneath), go for the B-6;
it has the additional advantage that in "higher" temperatures sheepskin feels way nicer than the alpaca lining in B-10/B-15s while lower down, the alpaca jackets work better IMHO;

again, the B-6 can be easily worn in snowfall or light rain, but I would not choose it in a downpour or heavy rain - did I mention that the N-1 is way better suited for such conditions?

FIT: if you want a very trim fit, go one size down from your usual sizing; if you want to be able to wear a sweater/pullover or even your A-2 underneath, stay with your jacket size;
I wear a 46 and this one fits easily over my A-2 (ELC RW27752) or any thicker pullover, giving me some more options when it gets really cold or windy;

AERO vs ELC: having owned both (the Aero only shortly though) I would opt for the ELC; the hide they use on their RW version is just great and the jacket looks awesome; the Aero was nice too, but the I did not like the hide (plus they sent the wrong size) so the decision to send it back was easy;
do not get me wrong: the Aero looked very nice too and if it had been in the right size, who knows; the ELC costs signicantly more now so an Aero might be a good option; their customer service is top notch and you can customize the sizing way more than with ELC, but then again, if you know your measurements and preferences for the fit, it will be easy to decide which size you take and I honestly believe that customized sizing is not necessary...

hope this helps a little bit, if you have any further questions, feel free to ask or pm

cheers from Vienna
phil
Yup, you can't beat the look of the ELC broken grain hide. I've been tempted to buy non-leather jackets a few times, in this climate they would be more practical, but I know that they would stay in the closet as I'll always wear the leather ones :)

Griffon_301

Having big dogs helps in that regard :D ...the cloth jackets are way more practical for long Doggo walks and the deck jackets are really great if it's raining as well...and funnily both, the B-15 and the blue deck hook jackets are favourites of my parents and the mother of my spouse .. for whatever reasons :D