• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-6 ... Aero vs. Eastman

Tim P

I dont think that redskin is nice enough to justify the extra wedge, I prefer seal anyhow in shearling. Redskin is lovely but it costs so damn much. I just don't see it as a deal breaker. I like the finish and fit of Eastmans stuff and it is invariably my first port of call, being in the UK also..
how much is a McCoys one? the other serious contender... In USD and GBP

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:

Since the price increase ....

1,950.00 NZD = 1,275.00 USD = 772.00 GBP

You might want to ask Paddy to look for one on the sale rack. ;)

Tim P

deeb7 said:
Tim P said:

ow!

John Lever

deeb7 said:
Tim P said:

Just thought you might like to know that sheepskin is only £3 per sq. foot. [From the horses mouth]
It takes about £150 of materials to make a jacket.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
Just thought you might like to know that sheepskin is only £3 per sq. foot. [From the horses mouth]

I don't know John ... that's not where we find it here. :?

Tim P

John Lever said:
deeb7 said:
Tim P said:

It takes about £150 of materials to make a jacket.

Not surprising, still a lot to spring for the McCoys one.. best value ELC seal i reckon, even though McCoys Shearling is superb.

donsom

Thanks to all for opinions and insights.

A few more questions, if I may:

- Since they are a thinner jacket, do you find that the wear-in time is naturally a lot less?
- is the leather itself any thinner? or just the pile depth of the sheepskin... (in relation to a B-3)
- what "temperature range" would you say that the jacket is comfortable for?

Also, from what I am hearing, ... stay away from the Aero B-6's ...

RE: McCoy's - Is "Paddy" the contact person/owner ... and is there a "sale rack" at the company (as mentioned)? I'm assuming the website is still http://www.realmccoys.co.nz/cat02.html

I am very pleased with my Eastman B-3 Redskin, but it definitely is a cold weather only jacket ... and as mentioned in the other thread, I'd like one that I can just use at any time during the cooler weather. I'm guessing (from the Eastman info) that their Redskin B-6's haven't yet been included in the "simulated wear" category either.

handworn

Yes-- are people saying to stay away from the Aero B-6s? The chain placement aside-- it still hasn't been resolved whether that's accurate-- what have people found to be wrong with the Aeros?

donsom said:
Thanks to all for opinions and insights.

A few more questions, if I may:

- Since they are a thinner jacket, do you find that the wear-in time is naturally a lot less?
- is the leather itself any thinner? or just the pile depth of the sheepskin... (in relation to a B-3)
- what "temperature range" would you say that the jacket is comfortable for?

Also, from what I am hearing, ... stay away from the Aero B-6's ...

RE: McCoy's - Is "Paddy" the contact person/owner ... and is there a "sale rack" at the company (as mentioned)? I'm assuming the website is still http://www.realmccoys.co.nz/cat02.html

I am very pleased with my Eastman B-3 Redskin, but it definitely is a cold weather only jacket ... and as mentioned in the other thread, I'd like one that I can just use at any time during the cooler weather. I'm guessing (from the Eastman info) that their Redskin B-6's haven't yet been included in the "simulated wear" category either.

Tim P

I dont think the Aero jacket is a piece of crap by any means. I have never seen one but everything else they produce is good. i happen to prefer ELC is all and i have one that i love.
it is only the fleece depth that is different from a b3, the hide itself is the same.

markc

handworn said:
Yes-- are people saying to stay away from the Aero B-6s? The chain placement aside-- it still hasn't been resolved whether that's accurate-- what have people found to be wrong with the Aeros?

As I said (in my reply to the "other thread") my Aero has the chain on the inside:

PICT7439-1.jpg

and

PICT7443.jpg

(Note - chain clearly visible)

The Aero jacket itself is superb (I've not seen an Eastman - so I won't even attempt to compare) and the fit is perfect (however, Will did measure me up before making any jackets for me - I have long arms and body).

More pics:

PICT7440.jpg

PICT7441.jpg

PICT7444.jpg

I reckon the Aeros are a bit of a bargain at the moment.

Cheers,

Vcruiser

I only have a couple of pics of my Aero B6..at the moment. I like mine and wear it often during colder weather. It seems a nice example of cream colored shearling kinda on the yellowish side....
BTW..the hang chain is on the outside behind collar. I quite like that..since it's not cold on the neck.

100_0744.jpg

afb32.jpg

Van

handworn

Thanks! I'm glad for the recommendation. Though they're quite right about the chain being on the outside in their eBay listing photos:

120391674.jpg

donsom

Vcruiser said:
I only have a couple of pics of my Aero B6..at the moment. I like mine and wear it often during colder weather. It seems a nice example of cream colored shearling kinda on the yellowish side....
BTW..the hang chain is on the outside behind collar. I quite like that..since it's not cold on the neck

afb32.jpg

Van

Thanks for the info. You say that you wear it often in the cold weather. Can you be more specific as to temperature range? Being from Canada, I'm just trying to get an idea the months I could wear it and when it would be too cold or hot ... :)

Vcruiser

donsom
Not much of a winter type person...I don't stroll around in the winterwonderland much. Usually just in and out more often than not. I wear it with a flannel shirt in 30s..20s..and teens..perhaps with an added long john top as it gets colder. Much below that...and I opt for something else.
Van