• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-3 vs Irvin

Peter Graham

OK, there's been a lot of bad karma on this forum recently culminating in the sad death of our own deeb7. Postings have practically stopped since then but if we don't keep going then this forum will die and that's the last thing Dave would want so here's an innocuous question. Which do you prefer, B-3 or Irvin ? Both created for the same purpose but very different. I've owned originals of both and I've got to say that the B-3 wins hands down. Why ? The extra inch or so in length plus the one pocket make it a practical jacket. In the Irvin's defence, it's a nicer looking jacket with better quality skins but the sleeve zippers make the lower arms nearly rigid. There's loads of other issues involving both jackets but I'm just trying to start the ball rolling. Thoughts ?

I'd say it depends on function. The Irvin is a great jacket while driving, (or of course, piloting a plane!)
And might be on a bike as well, because of the snug fit, short at the waist, and snug cuffs. The B-3 is great for walking and if you're inclined, shopping, due to the added length and the pocket. good to get both!

Dan

Chris217

I like the B-3 the best, the horsehide panels on the sleeves make it a little more durable, and the single front pocket is also a plus. But on the same token, the Irvin has a much "classier" look to it.

Jason

Being a colonial, my vote goes to the Irvin. Its a case of 'less is more' in the style department to my way of thinking. Don't get me wrong, the B-3 is a lovely jacket design too... just prefer the Irvin. Comfort is about on par with each other, and if I need pockets - jeans or cargo pants have plenty.

John Lever

Someone said to me recently that the Irvin is not a jacket, it's a short overcoat and that modern repros have too short arms. Photos of Irvin's being worn often show them with the cuffs rolled up.
So comparisons of repros may not be all that meaningful.
I like both jackets. At the moment I am going with the Irvin. It's less showy than the B-3 because of the wool colour and more comfortable to wear due to the very relaxed 'bag with arms' pattern. The down side for me is the collar fastening ring which I always struggle to fasten, the buckles on B-3's are easier to fasten and to adjust, the side belts are not as good as the belt on the Irvin though.
On the street people look at my Irvin but never at any of my B-3's. Navy shearlings are a different matter though.

Roughwear

I like both the Irvin and the B-3, but prefer the Irvin. I'm not sure all Irvins are shorter than B-3s, many certainly are, but Wareings for example made long Irvins, although many IAC jackets are shorter in the body. The length of original B-3s varied quite a bit from maker to maker. I do like the side belts of the B-3 as they make adjusting the jacket very easy. The boxy shape is stylish, but it is less practical for driving a than an Irvin and the large collar can get in the way of the seat belt! The classic look of the Irvin with the half belt and zipped sleeves makes it a practical jacket. The lack of a pocket is really not a problem and the map pocket on the B-3 is not particularly useful as things easily fall out! The other advantage of the Irvin is that most originals can still be worn whilst wearing an original B-3 is a risky business.

MikeyB-17

I've had repros of both, and for me it's the B-3 hands down. I found the pocket on the B-3 very handy indeed, in fact there was one mentioned back along which had a rigger mod of an extra front pocket, which I think was a damn good idea. I just prefer the generally sharper look of the B-3. Incidentally the Irvin never had pockets, but I believe the trousers that went with it did?

Roughwear

Yes, the pockets were on the trousers and there were others on the cloth service jacket. The jacket was originally designed to be part of a two piece suit.

dujardin

well said Peter,

as Freddie mercury said : show must go onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...
and that 's for sure the wish of our regretted David

being an USAAF collector, i wish to say the B-3; a nice redskins
but have to recognise the irvin is stronger & nicer
and more, the coastal command version of these jacket got my vote, simply as usual wearer to walk with dogs
i dream to get one (when money will be there maybe...)

is there a repro of this CC irvin ???????????????

Roughwear

Marcel, Aero made a repro of the CC jacket for a customer some time back. I have never seen anyone else make a repro of them perhaps because they may be less popular than the conventional Irvin.

TankBuster

My vote goes to the B-3 as well. Both are nice and I have owned originals of both, but the B-3 is just a better looking and fitting jacket. When it comes to originals, I will say that Irvins tend to be the better made jacket though.

ButteMT61

B-3 for me (USAF family members and all) but I have grown to love (want) an Irvin. I love the color of the sheerling, and the simpler (fewer panels) designs are what I think I will get. Sadly, I can't wear one very often, but given my father's locations in WI and CO, I will be able to use them when visiting and when traveling. Either one would have been nice last November in UK/France. And there isn't much I don't lust after that's WWII inspired.

John Lever

I forgot to add that the under arm gussets make arm movements much easier with the Irvin. The elastic strap is also another very useful feature for keeping the collar up. There was only one variant for the whole of the war, so the RAF must have been pleased with the them, whereas the USAAF tried several other jackets. The B-3 is a great jacket but the Irvin just edges it for me.

Andrew

I suspect where you come from has a pretty big influence on the decision!

DSC_0466-Copy.jpg

Hawkeye

Irvin. simply a classic, versatile design. Currently Irvin-less but when I can drum up the cash I'll be going for one of Jons fantastic looking late-war jackets, loving that multi-panel look.

rich

I think the B-3 is a much better fitting jacket....... well for my body shape anyway. But I like the way the Irvin collar stays up by itself, never managed to make this happen with the B-3 (don't want to buckle the straps up)

Peter Graham

Andrew said:
I suspect where you come from has a pretty big influence on the decision!

DSC_0466-Copy.jpg

That Irvin looks the business Andrew. I'm trying to figure out what the tank is. It looks like a Czech light tank in German markings but the running gear looks American post WW2.

johnwayne

I've never really been 'into' shearling jackets although Andrew's does look the business I must admit, as does Johnnyboy's creations that we've recently seen. Personally I think I just prefer the B3 but ultimately that what it's about - it's subjective. However, the practical matter is that even here in the UK, where we've had a couple of cold winters recently, I just think I'd not get much use out of one! Great if you do a lot of walking perhaps although I have an old MGB roadster (1972) but I'd feel a plonker bombing around in that with the top down, in the cold!

Cheers
Wayne