• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B-17 Jacket (#260632761886)

blackcat

Just spotted this on ebay, possibly only the third one i have seen in last three or four years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/37-WW-II-US-Army-Ai ... 3caeec561e

It is only when I looked at the sellers other items for sale that I felt quite sad, seeing someones personal stuff being sold off which had obviously been cherished over the years by the original owner.
I know this happens al the time but at times like this I wish that VLJ had a museum and a few sympathetic people might all make a contribution to collections like that just to keep it all together.
Hope at least one of our members gets the jacket.

TankBuster

A damn shame indeed. I just have no respect for people that split all this stuff up. At least break it down to 3 groupings of items. As it is, it's just all parts! I for one won't bid to make this guy more money, after all, that's all it's about.......... apparently! :(

dmar836

I have a problem with splitting it into groups as well. I have seen this for years and few have been from collectors. If a grouping would sell for $1000 and breaking it up would bring $1005, these people will break it up. We live in a gluttonous world where a new car payment and a $4 coffee are respected more than history preservation. It seams the more shallow and disposable an item is, the more people prioritize it! Most people live above their means and can't leave such things alone. Nothing is sacred when money can be had.
See, now I'm in a rant!
No wonder so many vets go to the grave in silence without the pride they should have. Can you imagine the space this collection took and what it must have meant for the original owner to keep all of it together? One would have to badger a family a long time OR be in the right place with a motive to take ownership of such a comprehensive history. Obviously this "story", preserved for 70 years, was only as important as the money it could bring. Based on the opening price of the cape and B-15, this is nothing more than a profiteer. The profits have already been spent and he'll be left with a few items that complete the story but hold little monetary value to anyone else. These are the types that stare into my garage as they drive by.
What a perfect collection this would have been for a nursing museum(they do have them).

I had a militaria vendor once tell me, "Every collector is a vendor. If you're a collector, you will eventually buy and sell." I am proud to say I have yet to flip an item for profit. I have come upon things that I sold, some at quite a profit, but it was never my intention. (e.g. The two folded 1943 arm brassards found in a $30 gas mask/bag comes to mind. I didn't even know what they were at first. Of course I kept one!)
My collector's philosophy: I fund my hobby with hobby money - not mortgage money. If I want a new motorcycle part, a new bicycle, TV, or something for whatever hobby I have rotated into, I don't rob another hobby that I'm currently not active in. This keeps it safe a a collection. If we allow our passions to fuel or take from our personal income, what do we expect? I have seen a person do jail time over a high-end collection that got out of hand.

Frankly, when I die, I would rather my meager collection go freely to another with a similar passion than to sell it all to the highest bidder and see it sold off for cigarette money! My wife feels the same way.
JMO and thanks for letting me rant,
Dave
Kansas City, USA

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dmar836 said:
I had a militaria vendor once tell me, "Every collector is a vendor. If you're a collector, you will eventually buy and sell." I am proud to say I have yet to flip an item for profit. I have come upon things that I sold, some at quite a profit, but it was never my intention.

So he was correct. ;)

better duck

A bit late for a post about this topic, but did you guys notice it is a Good Wear jacket? From the original Good Wear company from back then of course, not John C's.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
better duck said:
... did you guys notice it is a Good Wear jacket?

So's the one in Suit Up, they didn't make many, so possibly it was the only contract.

Good Wear also made a B-15.

TankBuster

I have seen a few over the years. I'm pretty sure there was another maker of the B-17 as well, I can't remember who at the moment. I'm trying to find photos of it I had saved.