• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Awesome MONARCH A2 handcrafted by John Chapman

Stef

Did JC provide the black repro Talon, or did you paint it yourself ? how is the base : Nickel or brass ?
How would you compare the pattern with Star in sleeves and torso : slender ?
do the inset sleeves really help arm motion (never had one with inset sleeves) ?
what is the shoulder width ?

really good looking anyway, fits you so well... definitely one of my fav contracts

thanks

------------------
Stef

Roughwear

So many questions!

The zip is a nickel repro Talon with a NOS puller painted by me. Shoulder width is 18.5". Yes the inset sleeves do make movement easier.

If you want to compare it with the Star the best thing you can do is study the pics on th GW website.

I would highly recommend this excellent jacket.

Stef

Yes so many questions...sorry...i really like this contract a lot, I'm thinking about what contract to order to JC, and this one was on the top of my list. I think I'm convinced now.
the shoulder width is less than what you usally wear i guess...i don't want to miss that because to me shoulder adjustment is key for this pattern to fit well...and you have it perfect !

thanks

------------------
Stef

Roughwear

I'll let you know later in the year as it has not been getting much wear recently with the cold weather.

Roughwear

Here are some pics taken today. The jacket has been worn on and off since late 2011 and is breaking in nicely. The surface is wearing like some originals and the stain on the collar is exactly like some of my originals! The horsehide has a tremendous grain, but not all over as the pictures show. It remains a comfortable jacket and although tagged a 46 fits like many of my Wartime size 44s.

chamboid

Yep that's the one isn't it, a beautiful A-2, cut and Pattern. Going to ask for some watches soon to decide on colour, but I think the light russet is the way I'm gonna go. Hiw did you black then zipper Andrew?

Roughwear

chamboid said:
Yep that's the one isn't it, a beautiful A-2, cut and Pattern. Going to ask for some watches soon to decide on colour, but I think the light russet is the way I'm gonna go. Hiw did you black then zipper Andrew?

Yes I did, but the paint is wearing off now.

bretron

Andrew thx for posting the update photos. Like Chamboid, this is likely the way I'm going to go. I love the cut and details of this pattern (especially the collar). Yours reafirms how nice monarchs are :)

I was all but settled on the 27798 Dubow in the 103 seal, with Cabernet knits. However, after recently receiving another jacket in a very similar shade of seal (not an A2, but made in John's veg seal goat), I'm now thinking I want a classic dull russet A2 rather than another purply shaded jacket!

On the other hand, he's got some seriously killer options out there with the new golden knits- Eg RW 1401, 36 Werber, and Bronco. decisions decisions!!!

omarco

this was my first choice originally as well. in the end I went with a 36 Werber in the brand new russet cow with golden knits and its perfect! the monarch is still on my wanted list though.

Marrk

@ omarco: Apparently, the shoulders in the Monarch are a little small. How are the shoulders in the Weber? I always need ample shoulders and a slender torso (and sleeve length).

Thanks!

omarco

Others would be better placed to tell you if the Werber is wider in the shoulders or not than the monarch.. but I would guess it probably is, I'm not slim around the shoulders and mine has the tiniest bit of droop at the shoulders (which is just how I like em) John will get you a great fit whichever contract you choose.