• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avirex A-2 horsehide 90’s

Chandler

3 images of 3 different early Avirex A-2s -- and none are alike. That company was having an identity crisis.

How about more pics of yours @B-Man2 ?

And anyone else.

MikeyB-17

That is a crazy unbelievable hide finish for an Avirex!

Do you still wear it? I wear mine when I feel like going all 50s -- it only fits well over a T-shirt. ;)

To be honest, I haven’t worn it for a long time-especially since I bought my ELC A-2. I’m in a similar boat, it’s marked a 46 but it’s nowhere near it, barely a 42, but I tried it on recently and reminded myself how nice it is. I’ve lost a bit of weight, so it’s not outside the realms that it might reappear soon.

Chandler

... it’s marked a 46 but it’s nowhere near it, barely a 42...
That's a crazy difference. I remember Avirex always advised to size up if you didn't want the "trim military fit" :rolleyes: and I was a 42 at the time, so got the 44 -- but it's never really felt just right.

Funny thing is, I'm probably back to being closer to a 42 these days and it still doesn't feel quite right. :confused:

MikeyB-17

I’ve been inspired to drag it out and take a few more. It’s actually a really nice jacket-has the usual Avirex too-tight waist knit, but on the whole, it deserves to be worn. Cost me £50 from Aero, BTW. Had paint on it which was a sod to get off, but it adds to the character. I’m still convinced it’s horse, despite the lack of a label. Feels too tough for lamb. Lining is nylon.
IMG_3807.jpeg
IMG_3803.jpeg
IMG_3804.jpeg

08D3F7D5-656B-473A-9BD1-A3F09304BDE1.jpeg

CEBA6CDF-14F4-48FA-B75D-CC846B1E2E32.jpeg

Last edited:

Pa12

3 images of 3 different early Avirex A-2s -- and none are alike. That company was having an identity crisis.

How about more pics of yours @B-Man2 ?

And anyone else.
I’ve stated before, my first Avirex cowhide in 84 or 85 was beautiful. I remember wearing it to my first trip to the museum in Dayton. I was blown away by how close it was to the originals. But it was just too small for me. By the time I decided to get one the right size about 4 years had passed. And the replacement just wasn’t the same. Cut and fit were spot on but the hide seemed cheap. Had I exchanged my first one right away I doubt I would ever looked at another a-2. He says years and thousands of dollars later:mad:

Chandler

By the time I decided to get one the right size about 4 years had passed. And the replacement just wasn’t the same. Cut and fit were spot on but the hide seemed cheap.
Did you replace it with another Avirex, or something else? Because 4 years hence from '85 would have been close to when I got mine -- of which the hide was nice, but fit wasn't.

As said, identity crisis.

Pa12

Did you replace it with another Avirex, or something else? Because 4 years hence from '85 would have been close to when I got mine -- of which the hide was nice, but fit wasn't.

As said, identity crisis.
It was another Avirex. But cowhide. I think the horse came out shortly afterwards. I remember getting the catalog when the hh started and thinking, shit i wish they had that when I ordered mine. I’m guessing 89 is when the hh started.

B-Man2

I’ve stated before, my first Avirex cowhide in 84 or 85 was beautiful. I remember wearing it to my first trip to the museum in Dayton. I was blown away by how close it was to the originals. But it was just too small for me. By the time I decided to get one the right size about 4 years had passed. And the replacement just wasn’t the same. Cut and fit were spot on but the hide seemed cheap. Had I exchanged my first one right away I doubt I would ever looked at another a-2. He says years and thousands of dollars later:mad:
Here ya go !
It’s got some nice graining as well.
IMG_2726.jpeg
IMG_2727.jpeg
IMG_2728.jpeg
IMG_2729.jpeg
IMG_2730.jpeg

Classicman88

That's one remarkable authentic looking A2 without the handwarmer pockets that some AVIREX had ... - i'm pretty surprised coz it looks more like a reproduction rather than the "phantasy flightjackets" i've already seen from AVIREX

Cool find for 150 bucks
Thanks! I guess from I’m hearing from everyone is this one is pretty close to what the originals were standard wise. I guess Avirex has the rep for flight jackets that are far out there vs more accurate.

B-Man2

Thanks! I guess from I’m hearing from everyone is this one is pretty close to what the originals were standard wise. I guess Avirex has the rep for flight jackets that are far out there vs more accurate.
Avirex was the only game in town for a look alike A2 for a while . Then others followed with an eye towards accuracy of detail .
The rest of the story is history .

Pa12

Now, but in their day they were pretty much the only game in town and produced some pretty nice jackets.