• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avirex A-2 horsehide 90’s

Classicman88

Hi everyone,

this will be my very first post and I’ve recently purchased an Avirex A-2 horsehide jacket that the prior owner claims he purchased in 1993 from Avirex HQ in Manhattan. I’m not familiar with horsehide nor specifically Avirex horsehide jackets of that generation, the jacket is fairly light and not sure how the horse hide shoukd feel, it does feel more sturdy but still very soft doesn’t have too much wear on it besides the arms and some edges of the leather seams. Just making sure jacket is legit, it’s far lighter than my cockpit USA jacket which is actually lambskin.

I’m new to this jacket collecting and curious, it is the real deal or not?? Also….paid $150 for this vintage jacket.

Classicman88

Hope these pictures help, main thing I noticed is how light the jacket feels, not very heavy at all, put it in my arms on scale and added about 3.5 lbs to myself

Attachments

• 79931CF8-8F75-4F43-AC6B-AEBDBA48684A.jpeg
    79931CF8-8F75-4F43-AC6B-AEBDBA48684A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 91
  • 3E95876F-E5FF-44B2-A7D5-021852D061AC.jpeg
    3E95876F-E5FF-44B2-A7D5-021852D061AC.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 88
  • AA13D3E0-6467-43EC-9188-1C9D4CAF225C.jpeg
    AA13D3E0-6467-43EC-9188-1C9D4CAF225C.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 76
  • 792530F1-1B03-436D-A1E7-C9FFEA9F0841.jpeg
    792530F1-1B03-436D-A1E7-C9FFEA9F0841.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 70
  • D7C5F629-7224-4D3F-8439-AB6DFAF5C2A2.jpeg
    D7C5F629-7224-4D3F-8439-AB6DFAF5C2A2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 82

Chandler

I have an Avirex HH from this same era (1990 or so) and it has identical tags.

The difference between yours and mine is that my hide is lighter in color and far more grainy.

And FWIW, mine weighs about the same as an ELC horsehide jacket I own.

I'll post some images when I get the time.

BTW -- I don't hold the opinion that a 1993 jacket is truly "vintage," since most of the jackets we discuss around here are from the '30s thru the '50s.

Classicman88

I have an Avirex HH from this same era (1990 or so) and it has identical tags.

The difference between yours and mine is that my hide is lighter in color and far more grainy.

And FWIW, mine weighs about the same as an ELC horsehide jacket I own.

I'll post some images when I get the time.

BTW -- I don't hold the opinion that a 1993 jacket is truly "vintage," since most of the jackets we discuss around here are from the '30s thru the '50s.
Yea I guess 90’s isn’t exactly vintage in this case….and you mention ELC jacket? I’d that Eastman? And you would says it’s heavy, mid, light? Thank you for schoolin me and the helpful info too

Classicman88

I've had two Avirex of that era - one for me and one for my son. The hide was way different - like a less finished horsehide and was really really nice. I got them both for less than $100.
I assumed they were 70's vintage due to the tag, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And @Chandler - to youngin's, this IS vintage :D
Nice!!! I really like the patina of this leather…honestly seems like I could wear it in spring and even summer on a cool night.

Chandler

Yea I guess 90’s isn’t exactly vintage in this case….and you mention ELC jacket? I’d that Eastman? And you would says it’s heavy, mid, light? Thank you for schoolin me and the helpful info too
Yes, ELC = Eastman Leather Clothing.

And I definitely wouldn't call them light, but I also have a couple older steerhide jackets I'd definitely call heavy -- so the Avirex and ELC are probably middle of the pack.

To be honest, about the only leather jacket I own that I'd call light is a crap A-2 steerhide from the mid 80s -- paper thin.

Last edited:

MikeyB-17

This dates from the time when Avirex were producing a creditable attempt at a WWII A-2. Later they started producing monstrosities with escape map linings, spurious patches and artwork, ridiculously oversized, and became a bit of a joke amongst those who knew about such things. That’s a really nice jacket-I have an early Avirex too, I’ve always assumed it was horse, but it isn’t labelled as such so I’m starting to think it might be lamb, but it’s developed incredible character. Stick around!

Thomas Koehle

Hope these pictures help, main thing I noticed is how light the jacket feels, not very heavy at all, put it in my arms on scale and added about 3.5 lbs to myself

That's one remarkable authentic looking A2 without the handwarmer pockets that some AVIREX had ... - i'm pretty surprised coz it looks more like a reproduction rather than the "phantasy flightjackets" i've already seen from AVIREX

Cool find for 150 bucks

Last edited:

Classicman88

As promised, 1990 Avirex A-2 -- Gen-u-eyen horsehide.
OISX3Ec.jpg

NRqk6Lc.jpg

XKiCaYP.jpg

ebgBCzA.jpg

eniV0ug.jpg

iSQmQud.jpg

FWIW -- tagged 44, fits more like a 42.
That’s a reeeeaaally nice one you got…the leather seems fairly thick from the pics. Yea I’m just realizing the sizing is running pretty small, the 42 feels like 40 or even 38.