• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avirex A-2 horsehide 90’s

Pa12

I wish I could find pictures of my first Avirex. Man I loved that jacket. I gave it to my brother, who gave it to his wife. I’ll have to ask if she still has it.

B-Man2

That color's great Burt.

To the Avirex -- the one detail I hated, after studying originals, was how close to center (wind flap) the pockets were. Became a real peeve.
I’m guessing that was because they made the pockets wider than original A2 jacket pockets and they had to move them closer to the wind flap or the pocket would wrap around to the side of the jacket .

Chandler

I’m guessing that was because they made the pockets wider than original A2 jacket pockets and they had to move them closer to the wind flap or the pocket would wrap around to the side of the jacket .
I just checked, the pockets on my Avirex are the same width as my ELC 1401 and my Gibson & Barnes goatskin -- 6.375".

I just think Avirex (even Flight Apparel Industries) didn't follow details closely.

Thomas Koehle

My first A2 was a AVIREX too ...

You see those ugly handwarmers - the lining and other inacuracies but i used it frequently for quiet some time

bVfvYYJ.jpg

cpvk5hw.jpg

pbiKL0x.jpg

3v9Kasw.jpg

It was labelled "L" but fit was more like a XXL - put some kilometers on it in my sidecar hack on chinese roads

MikeyB-17

Sam Shepard’s Avirex in ‘The Right stuff’ was the the epitome of flight jacket cool to me when I was younger-was probably instrumental in getting me into this lark-until I discovered ELC. I’ve never looked as good in an ELC as he did in an Avirex though.

Chandler

Sam Shepard’s Avirex in ‘The Right stuff’...
Do you have reference for that? I always thought that was a Schott he was wearing.

For imagery only, not editorial content. But that doesn't look like the typical Avirex we see.

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Do you have reference for that? I always thought that was a Schott he was wearing.

For imagery only, not editorial content. But that doesn't look like the typical Avirex we see.

Since i learned that earlier AVIREX looked more correct than their "mall-versions" i think it could be possible - but nor sure ...

Did they wear Navy-like namepatches on their A2s????

Chandler

Since i learned that earlier AVIREX looked more correct than their "mall-versions" i think it could be possible - but nor sure ...
Sam's just looks bulky and heavy -- and the pockets look bigger than an authentic A-2 -- to my eye, anyway.

To the nameplates -- dunno, but Col. Hogan had a pretty large one. ;)

MikeyB-17

I always thought that they said in ‘Cowboys of the Sky’ (never the most reliable tome, I grant you), that they made the film jacket, but having just fished it out, although they made a ‘Right Stuff’ commemorative jacket, it doesn’t actually say they made Shepard’s. Looking at it, could well be a Schott. It’s not an original.

Chandler

...although they made a ‘Right Stuff’ commemorative jacket...
Yeah, I definitely remember that.

And no, Sam's jacket isn't original -- Crossfield's* and Ridley's, OTOH, I recall looking pretty authentic.

*Especially odd since Crossfield was a naval aviator. Don't tell the detail fascists! ;)

B-Man2

How does Avirex compare to “US Wings” jackets, are they any good? Their horsehide any good?
Their jackets are well made and will last a life time … however .. they are far from accurate representations of WWII flight jackets . They are more of generic flight jackets . If authenticity and period accuracy are not a concern then they are worth a look.