• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVIREX …. The company that started it all…. (In 500 words or less… again.)

Smithy

He was definitely doing them very early. I remember James Pibworth (might have got the fellow's name wrong) posting an exceedingly early ALC back in 2006 or 2007. Terrific looking jacket and miles better than anything they've done in decades.

B-Man2

When did Avirex first start trading ?
John
From everything I’ve read about the company, 1975 is the agreed upon starting date for the Avirex company. So I assume that would be about the same time period that they started making A2 jackets. However, if you look at some of the labels of the A2 jackets many of them reference the year 1978 in the label contents . Not sure what that means .
0E708E1E-98F5-4FD3-9C77-EBF3946836F1.jpeg

Juanito

Ed
Were the MacArthurs labeled or marked differently ?
Not that I know of. As far as I can remember, there just started calling them that at one point and I am certain everything from the photo to the ad copy was the same, except they put "MacArthur" in the bold title. For some reason I can't find all the other Cockpit catalogs I have/had to check.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I think all of Avirex A-2s with the faux WW2 lablen listed the contract number as 1978-01.

It definitely seems that way. Much in the same way that Lost Worlds A2’s all use the same contract number on their labels .

johnwayne

In Cowboys of the Sky there’s no mention of an actual date Avirex started but the book was first published in 1989 and claims later ‘that in 10 years of making jackets they sold 2.14m worldwide’, wow and that was then!
On a separate note in the preface, the author Gilles Lhote, mentions an earlier ref book entitled ‘The Leather of Heroes’ - a French publication that quickly sold out. No idea if it was in French or English but wonder if anyone has a copy? Meanwhile, I might go on a search!!!

Chandler

Here are some (less-than professional) shots of my B-3 and the tags -- interesting to note the same 1978 used on the B-3.

pF94sv5.jpg

PJCtIE1.jpg

Sd9xFXG.jpg

ImJqzkW.jpg

I can't recall just when I got this one, but it wasn't long after the A-2 in the early 90s. Odd that I chose a 42 (which is a large 42) since I bought the A-2 in a 44 (which is a small 44). Probably something to do with a "these run different than modern sizing" blurb in the Cockpit catalog.