• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aviation Leathercraft Irvin Opinions?

Dodgy

Hi There

I have spotted one for sale, used for US$250, which seems like a good price.

What is the opinion of these? I don't like the pockets, which straight away make it non authentic, and I doubt that it is in the realm of ELCs efforts. They claim to be the only genuine Irvin - perhaps they have purchased the name as opposed to make an authentic copy?

What I am looking at it for is to be a spare jacket for passengers in my Tiger Moth. I myself use just a flight suit in summer, RM A2 in spring, and the RM B3 in winter (when it is damn cold and necessary!)

I was looking at saving up for the ELC Irvin, but maybe this one is a good deal?

cheers

Simon

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Dodgy said:
They claim to be the only genuine Irvin - perhaps they have purchased the name as opposed to make an authentic copy?

That about sums it up, Simon.

For not much more, you should be able to buy an ELC Irvin, see the thread here, for example ...

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3880

Good to see you posting again ... time for some more pictures of the Tiger Moth. :cool:

Roughwear

Unless you want a teddy-bear jacket avoid buying an ALC "Irvin". They are well made but not at all authentic! They happen to own the rights to the Irvin name. Their best repros were made in the 1970s when they were more closely based on originals. You should be able to pick up an ELC RAF Sheepskin jacket at a reasonable price these days on Ebay. Good luck.

Milu

For cheap I would suggest a "What price glory" Irvin. For really cheap why not a short, nylon parka like an Alpha N2B.

John Lever

Avoid them, they are pants.
Here's my 30 year old one I bought when I was a student-
IMGP1641.jpg

I had to sand off all the horrible outer coating that was something from an oil spill. At least it doesn't have pockets. My wife wears it now as it's only a size 40.

Dodgy

Sweet, I will avoid it then :cool:

It didn't really look like a real one, I was just unsure if I was being fussy!

I will keep an eye on the ELC ones, and I am also planning on going back to Shuttleworth and Duxford in 2010

Slightly different topic then - has anyone seem the Irvin efforts from RM/The Few? I saw a sample one a couple of years ago when I dropped in there and although it looked nice enough, it had this really weird orange tinge that looked unlike any other Irvin that I have ever seen... Apart from that, it looked like a good one. Question is, how could they get it so 'wrong'? Usually they set a very high standard and I am very happy with the two purchases that I have made so far

PS: More Tiger Photos are coming - anyone interested in the Mk IX TR Spitfire that I flew before xmas? :cool:

cheers

Simon

Andrew

Surely if you own a Tiger and fly Spits you can afford a real Irvin or an ELC? :? I have an old MG that keeps me poor so I guess it's the same but worse for you! Still lucky you and you would have to have one of the funnest jobs on offer (I take it you're not flying them on pc).

I've worn one of mine in a Tiger and it was great fun to pair the two together, especially as the one I wore belonged to an RNZAF Flying Instructor who's office was a TM. It did occur to me at the time that it was a little sad the owner of such a beautifully restored A/C proudly wore a terrible distressed looking Irvin facsimile with pockets. Still, he owned the plane and I didn't :oops:

If you have pics pls post away.

Copy-of-IMG_0310-s.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Dodgy said:
Slightly different topic then - has anyone seem the Irvin efforts from RM/The Few? I saw a sample one a couple of years ago when I dropped in there and although it looked nice enough, it had this really weird orange tinge that looked unlike any other Irvin that I have ever seen... Apart from that, it looked like a good one. Question is, how could they get it so 'wrong'? Usually they set a very high standard and I am very happy with the two purchases that I have made so far ...

Yes, the sample was some odd colours ... I haven't seen one in person, but here's how it looks now ...

08fewsp8-016.jpg

PS: More Tiger Photos are coming - anyone interested in the Mk IX TR Spitfire that I flew before xmas? :cool:

Yes, yes. :D

As you will know, the Tiger Moth pictures were lost on the old forum.

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
Dodgy said:
Slightly different topic then - has anyone seem the Irvin efforts from RM/The Few? I saw a sample one a couple of years ago when I dropped in there and although it looked nice enough, it had this really weird orange tinge that looked unlike any other Irvin that I have ever seen... Apart from that, it looked like a good one. Question is, how could they get it so 'wrong'? Usually they set a very high standard and I am very happy with the two purchases that I have made so far ...

Yes, the sample was some odd colours ... I haven't seen one in person, but here's how it looks now ...

08fewsp8-016.jpg

Yes, yes. :D

As you will know, the Tiger Moth pictures were lost on the old forum.

This one has the same appearance as a redskin shearling, and I have never seen an original Irvin quite this colour or texture. Talon zips!! Perhaps they could get zips which are more in keeping with an Irvin. Shame no one makes repro Dot zips.

A

Anonymous

I agree with everyone regarding Aviation leather craft!. All of the products are just their own design and nothing to do with the models that they copy .The A-2 they make is a joke and the Irvin is at best made for people who have an interest in open top cars but know nothing about aviation history.How they can have the original Irvin on their label ,when the product is so missleading ,how many people bought this jacket and then realize there are just so many makers that do it better .I know they own the rights to the name but they are so off target ,the WPG jacket is a much better jacket if cost is an issue and you will not have to request leave the pockets off it .My brother has an ALC Irvin in England and he is a 38 inch chest when he wears it he looks like the Michelin man ( the pile is way to thick) ,you do not get that look with John Lever wears one of his !.Do yourself a favour stay clear of it would be my advice.

All the best Jeff

Dodgy

Here is the Tiger Moth that I have been flying up till now:

tiger2.jpg

The jacket in these photos is a The Few B3

tiger1.jpg

This jacket is quite necessary during winter... Even then, about 30 mins is all one can endure at 3,000ft (for aeros for example) before one's face is frozen!

Here is a DH Chipmunk that I fly (I am in the front doing an engine run up). This example is notable in being ex. HM Royal Flight (ref. front cowling) and Prince Andrew did a lot of flying in this particular aircraft.

DHChipmunk1WP.jpg

This is another Tiger that I fly. This was a summer trip and my younger brother was in the front (he loves old stuff but a bit scared of aircraft!)

742.jpg

Finally, here is the TR Mk IX Spitfire that I flew. I logged 1.2hr in this doing a transport flight. I had just met the owner and day before, and I boldly asked if I could fly back with him! He did the takeoff and landing, I did all the other flying, including in the circuit.

This was a real childhood dream realised... :) As BBMF state, it does feel very much the Chipmunk in the circuit, and BBMF use the Chipmunk as a transition aircraft. Coupled with the T6 Harvard, both aircraft (and the Tiger) are perfect aircraft to gain the skills. Understandably, it was damn noisy on takeoff, and was an absolute joy to fly. Beautifully harmonised and a real plane to connect with...

Outside the hangar:

IMG_3184.jpg

Tally ho!

IMG_3222.jpg

This is such a lovely view (and one that I was quite surprised and grateful to indulge in):

IMG_3249.jpg

Someone pondered if my flying was Flight Sim? Sorry, no :shock: If anyone on the list comes over to NZ, PM me and I can set you up with a flight in one (or more) of these....

cheers

PS: Hope these photos are of interest

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Dodgy said:
PS: Hope these photos are of interest

Thanks for the photo's, Simon ... I remembered to save them this time.

It's rare to see any local aviation on the forum, and as well as the Spitfire, the chocolate TM looks great.

Andrew

Thanks for the pics Simon, you do indeed have a dream job.

I take it your flight was well before this happened? What a shame but lucky the damage wasn't worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG3wAe35 ... re=related

Next time I get over to NZ I might take up your offer! Do you take part in Airshows?

If the ELC price is a bit high why not take a look at the WPG Irvin. It looks the part, would make a good knockaround jacket and is much cheaper.

Dodgy

Yes, I flew FLP (the Spit) in December last year. I was one of the organisers of the Warbirds over Wairapara Airshow in which FLP had its mishap. Was very sad to see such an elegant aircraft in such a state...

I only fly as a hobby, my week job is IT & T sales. If I flew as a career, I would not likely to be able to afford to fly such vintage aircraft on such a regular basis!

I will have a look at WPG Irvins as well then. Us pilots can be an odd lot with jackets - I use what I consider to be good reproductions (The Few and RM). some others wear genuine A2s and the like (that are falling apart) and some have shocking DIY replicas of Irvins. The general public can't seem to be able to tell the difference - to them a sheepskin jacket is a Battle of Britain RAF jacket - until they see a more genuine reproduction at which point the difference is obvious

I remember talking to a pilot at an airshow who was oh so glowing about his genuine A2 - it was black and had slit pockets and inside pockets and was make of really soft goatskin... whoops! I sat all wrong as well, all soft shoulders that fell forwards

Dodgy

The B3 in question was posted earlier...

It is a The Few RoughWear 535 -17756 Contract 'Red Skin'

The Few and Real McCoy of course all come out the same factory, the difference is the target audience. When I purchased the RM A2 it was quoted in NZ$ and when I purchased the B3, it has to be converted back from Yen to NZ$.

The Few also make repros that are uncommon - I think that the RM B3 is just a normal duo tone, not redskin

IMG_0467.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Dodgy said:
The B3 in question was posted earlier...

It is a The Few RoughWear 535 -17756 Contract 'Red Skin'.

Well thanks for posting again, Simon ... I can't remember everything. :lol:

Perhaps it was on the old forum, I remember the picture, but not the contract.

The Few are great jackets, super B-3, and that conversion from JPY to NZD, try doing it again now. :cry: