• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At The Front sale B-10

Silver Dollar

I've got one of the "defective" ATF B10's and as far as I'm concerned, it's perfect for me. It's a cool looking jacket and my wife thinks I look great in it. Besides, the greatest majority of the people that will see me in it wouldn't know a B 10 from a B 24. The extra $$$ I saved went for a few Flying Fortress models, an oil change, and a month's worth of groceries. Such is life.

TankBuster

Yep, it comes down to what your priorities are. No doubt about it. The extra money for authenticity was just worth it to me, but may not be the case for everyone ;)

Jason

I've been talkin' about it for a while, and this morning, I pounced. With the current exchange rate between the Aussie dollar and US dollar being quite favourable, and with ATF's special on their 'defected' B-10s... I couldn't resist. For less than AUD $200 in the local currency, including delivery, thats not too bad.
It was less than 30 minutes after placing my order, that I got an email reply stating that the package had been shipped and even supplied my tracking number. Now thats impressive!

Thanks for the comparison photos too Clark... yeah the Eastman has a nicer shade of OD, and I much prefer the deep rust red shade of the Eastman collar... yet I prefer the collar shape of the ATF. Heck, for what you pay, its a great deal any way you look at it.

Clark J

Hey Jason make sure you take it out and get your sleeves tapered because they are real BIG.It will make a huge difference.

Silver Dollar

Clark J said:
Hey Jason make sure you take it out and get your sleeves tapered because they are real BIG.It will make a huge difference.

I definitely have to agree with that. The arms on mine were big too. Then again, I like to wear something under the jacket in the coldest weather so it worked out o.k. for me. I have trouble with clothes fitting right on me anyhow.

Jason

Clark J said:

Thanks for the tip Clark, I'm not a fan of untapered sleeves either.

Jason

Put my ATF B-10 to good use today. Yes, its one size too big for me, but that affords the luxury of being able to layer underneath the jacket. Supremely comfortable when driving, too.

IMG_2814edit.jpg

IMG_2812edit.jpg

fishmeok

Ha! You could layer that Alpha L-2A under it, see how many flight jackets you can get on at one time. Of course, your family may never speak to you again after going out in public like that, but it's worth it.

BTW, what's all that white stuff floating around you? Somebody spill a box of laundry detergent? :D

Cheers
Mark

Jason said:
Put my ATF B-10 to good use today. Yes, its one size too big for me, but that affords the luxury of being able to layer underneath the jacket. Supremely comfortable when driving, too.

IMG_2814edit.jpg

IMG_2812edit.jpg

CBI

so, does one take this jacket to a tailor to have the sleeves tapered? Clark? My ATF experiences have been very good (note recent tanker thread) so I think this might be an upcomming purchase (like this week!) After years of OCDism with A-2's repros and now back to originals I just can't go to those lenghts with cloth, I am having no urge to go super detailed. The Eastman/BR offerings just seem high priced for me for cloth IMO. This looks like a great option.

Tim P

I am becoming inclined to agree that super detailed is not always the best example of cost over value. especially with price hikes for high end jap and new wonder hides.
I can recall when the B10s from SM hit the scene in about 95/96, I was over the moon. no-one did a b10 and the shortfalls of this reasonably priced jacket did not phase me at all as it was that or a trashed undersized original. Now with all the high enders doing B10s in all forms including red knits, white collars, cream and purple labels and even a sexy black gibson (not currently available I don't think) I think the ATF B10 is a wearable jacket and a superb compromise between wearability and cost over what I am increasingly believing to be snobbery.
I am not a fan of the Pike examples ( as an aside, why they dont crank out deck zips with their blue bedford cloth I don't know) myself but having talked with the owner, a jacket that walks like a B10 and quacks like a B10 but has a deliberately contrived lighter liner for more universal use is a useful thing.

ATF do knock out some serious museum quality stuff and without shooting themselves in the foot they are by and large up front about any warts and all alerts that only really send the likes of us into apoplexy.

CBI

OK, OK - bend my arm - I ordered one today! I was told they run large so I am going with a medium to start with. Good chance it will be too small :?

CBI

they told me they run a little large and that the "large" size is a bit oversized for a large. I noticed this with my rencent ATF Tanker purchase.

dmar836

So if I'm a 42 in jackets, what size is best to fit like they should without layering?
Dave
Kansas City, USA

CBI

a medium probably

If you guys give me till week's end, I should have the jacket and I can give you an update. I am a 44R in retail clothing and I ordered a medium which is supposed to go up through size 40 however I bet it fits fine to a 42 and perhaps for a "military fit" a 44. I am concerned that the B-10 in a large will be too big unless I shrink it which is a little risky with that fur collar.

CBI

I am a 44R in retail clothing. 44 in original A-2's and most all repros. My ATF B-10 arrived today and it fits very well. It ordered a medium :? . Their website shows that Meds go up to size 40?????????????????? If you are a 42 or smaller and are trim(ish) you might want to consider a small. Medium at the most. These jackets run large. I would argue that the sleeves on mine are a hair too long but fine.

As to the jacket itself? excellent, very happy, a great buy. I bought the one w/o the stencil as I think the stencils are a little too low on the sleeve. As a leather guy who wanted a few cloth "supplements" this along with my ATF Tanker are perfect. Tanker also runs large, go down a size.

I hope this helps.