• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are We Losing the “Vintage “ in Vintage Leather Jackets ? .. An Opinion Piece.

tda003

I truly appreciate vintage military jackets. They fill a niche not filled by repros. That said, as I posted elsewhere, for wearing day-to-day and possibly/probably taking a beating without worry, I like reproduction jackets. I have one or two English best side by side shotguns, but in the field I almost exclusively use my Spanish shotguns. I don't shed tears when my Spaniards or reproductions suffer from briars, weather or other tribulations. I think both have a place, but originals have a bigger place for me.

Enigma1938

I totally agree with B-man2.
As I joined the forum 2012 it was full of 'real' vintage and 'big player' users with lots of knowledge and awesome collections. I'm still bound to the forum but it has definitely lost some qualities and yes... I really miss that old days...
As nice as some of the reproduction jackets are, but it's stupidly boring to read about the same manufacturer and the same type of his repro jackets over and over again.
I wonder where the oldsters from this forum and their awesome collections are now. As far as I know there is no second big vintage jacket forum, I wouldn't even call TFL so.
Well, strange times in which we're living.

Chris 55

I think the Vintage should stay as if you think about it the forum has been here a long time.
People moved away from forums to Facebook etc .
This what I have released is that the forum is the best place to be.
You can search vintage topics information etc you try that on Facebook.
I'm here to stay although I can only add a few pictures of old Irvin jackets.

Greg Gale

I agree with Burt, I see the forum move from vintage originals through expensive repros to affordable repros.

let me offer a different point of view though:

our passion and interest is the same regardless what we own. I’m sure many of us would love to own originals but they just can’t afford one. There aren’t too many to go around either. Expensive repros are somewhat more accessible but still unreasonably overpriced for some of us, who then choose to purchase a more affordable option. But no matter what one is willing to spend money on, the focus of our interest remains the same: vintage leather jackets, jackets or types of jackets that were worn a long time ago by daring aviators.

imagine it would all be restricted to originals. The same few people would be posting photos of the same few jackets. You don’t get a new original every month. Unless your name is Jorge and you own a time machine of course :D

if anything I’d remove the L for Leather because we love all kinds of flying jackes.

how about VFJ? Vintage Flying Jackets?

B-Man2

I think the Vintage should stay as if you think about it the forum has been here a long time.
People moved away from forums to Facebook etc .
This what I have released is that the forum is the best place to be.
You can search vintage topics information etc you try that on Facebook.
I'm here to stay although I can only add a few pictures of old Irvin jackets.
Thanks for your post Chris .
I think the important thing isn’t whether you own or can afford to purchase an original, as much as just keeping the focus of them alive and passing on info about them to the new guys getting into the hobby . There’s room here on VLJ for everyone’s tastes, but my point was that I think we have lost a lot of the focus on originals and vintage jackets. I agree with all of you .. this is an expensive hobby to start dropping bucks into . But you don’t need to own an original to chat about them or share some stories about them , or post some photos from a book or the web about them . Just my thoughts . And again thanks for your thoughts .

London Cabbie

I agree with Burt, I see the forum move from vintage originals through expensive repros to affordable repros.

let me offer a different point of view though:

our passion and interest is the same regardless what we own. I’m sure many of us would love to own originals but they just can’t afford one. There aren’t too many to go around either. Expensive repros are somewhat more accessible but still unreasonably overpriced for some of us, who then choose to purchase a more affordable option. But no matter what one is willing to spend money on, the focus of our interest remains the same: vintage leather jackets, jackets or types of jackets that were worn a long time ago by daring aviators.

imagine it would all be restricted to originals. The same few people would be posting photos of the same few jackets. You don’t get a new original every month. Unless your name is Jorge and you own a time machine of course :D

if anything I’d remove the L for Leather because we love all kinds of flying jackes.

how about VFJ? Vintage Flying Jackets?
Brilliant observation. That’s why im here (and for @ausreenactor & @Micawber humour) I have tier 1,2,3 mostly love the heritage of it all. Well said..

MediumMech

Wow, love the robust discussion in this thread, thanks for kicking this off Burt!

I'm new here, but I'm enjoying a variety of content. I like some of the exchanges with manufacturers like Five Star or Headwinds, as I find the discussions about what might be wrong or right about forthcoming repros very educational in terms of details about specific contract jackets. I also really enjoy seeing originals and hear the bits of lore that come with them. The reviews of higher end repros are also excellent, and really are what I find most practical as a newbie. The price point of originals is prohibitive, and at this time, I really can't justify purchasing jackets that I can't wear on a regular basis. Repros are where my focus is at these days. That said, a repro is just a nice jacket without an understanding of the history behind it! I really appreciate some of the knowledge around here. It's all new to me, so any bit of knowledge is a welcome treasure.

At one time, I collected suits and sport jackets. I frequented thrift stores and picked up some really cool pieces for next to nothing, because I knew enough about construction and materials to tell a great piece even if the label was from a small or unknown maker. I'd love to have some of that kind of knowledge about leather jackets. That kind of knowledge is often best learned from handling the jackets themselves, but unfortunately there isn't much available locally, except basic pattern motorcycle jackets made in the last 20 years. Reading bits around here is the best way for me to make decisions about ordering jackets from further away. It's also the best way for me to experience jackets I will never own or see in person. Every bit of info about hides, construction methods, materials, history, and fit is very welcomed by me, and I hope to also contribute some of that knowledge as I get a little collection of my own going.

Also, I know the main focus around here is military flight jackets, but I'm interested in all kinds of jackets. Here's a +1 for more civilian content!

P-47 thunderbolt

Where I stand on the subject is: I love originals, I own a couple of m422a jackets because they were affordable, however easonable A2s seem out of budget. As time from the end off ww2 progresses and these items get scarcer and more fragile I see them as artifacts, so jackets that were once just surplus utility wear can not be used in the same capacity. This is where the repro fits in and is why I am also enthusiastic about good quality repros, I want a jacket that is as close to the real thing as worn in the 40s.
Also it is through the analysis of repros that I have learned much about originals.
I'm still searching for originals but I will never wear one and so in my life they probably take the back burner so to speak.
Many people may therefore the even think it to be silly to buy jackets that you'll never wear and may be the reason why many enthusiasts on here don't buy originals.
I would hate for the vintage part of this forum to fade away.
It does seem ironic, but the greater part of this forum is vintage style jackets not actual vintage jackets

Thomas Koehle

Burt and most of the dudes already commented on this thread:

i think Burt nailed it with his initial statement but i cannot see there is a tendency towards "cheap" or "inexpensive" repops.

I myself do not own one single original jacket coz "i collect 'em to wear 'em".

Well most of us know there is a kind of "connection" from this forum to some manufacturers but not just to inexpensive ones but also to the "high end" repro-manufacturers. I'm on this forum since 2016 invited by @ties70 and found it always - and still do - interesting to learn about the history of the jackets. Even though the forum isn't specifically named "Vintage MILITARY Jackets" we have 90% discussions about flight jackets - mostlyx of american origin but only a few threads about civilian stuff.

Remarkable for me is a kind of stability in the setup of the members. One fact i apprechiate is many of them are open to even share some details about their private life which enables other members to be a small part of it. This is only 1 reason why i preffer the VLJ before other platforms like "The Fedora".

Maybe i lost the topic a bit so in a nutshell: jackets which are discussed here are still "vintage" like A2, G1 and the shearling ones. A repop is still a recreation of these VINTAGE styles no matter whether you buy/wn a high-price of more affordable example. My reason why the "Vintage" in VLJ still makes sense.

Thomas

blackrat2

Have read some of the replies and all are very valid
Sadly in some instances conflict between forum members has driven some away, opinion is divided on some members past and present and what they did or didn’t bring to the game, I enjoyed Andrews posts and collection both A2 and Irvin but I saw for others this was not the case
Some have shaken and stirred the site up, others have been damn right rude and argumentative
I love to see what original’s are out there and some of the comparison posts early in the pandemic, with two or three owners inputs were superb
I do also like seeing the repro’s, again some of the posts have been really informative and helpful when it comes to buying such things
There is a great wealth of knowledge on here, from watches (Pilot) to denim (Grant etc), yes possibly more originals would be nice but these things aren’t so readily available now
I imagine as we drift into Autumn we will see more posts on G1’s and then as we drift to winter then Irvins, B3’s and cloth will have there time
All In all a great site

917_k

I myself do not own one single original jacket coz "i collect 'em to wear 'em".

Just picking up on this comment: maybe I’m doing a bad thing, but I wear all of the originals I own and aren’t afraid to wear them hard. It’s probably for that reason I don’t own an original A2 or B-3, because the vast majority can’t be worn. But certainly when it comes to collecting originals, I’m only really interested in something I can feasibly wear (I.e. it’s the right size and not a total wreck).

Funnily enough, the only repros I own are an Eastman B-3 and ANJ4, i.e. the only jackets that are usually no good as originals.

One of the things, that I’ve always enjoyed about VLJ besides the jackets is, that it’s always been a platform for the sharing of ideas , experiences and opinions . If you have a thought, or an opinion that you’d like to share with everyone , VLJ is a great place to do just that . There are however some ground rules, which you need to be aware of and accept before you put yourself out here for all to read and digest . One of which is, your opinions may not always be shared by others on this forum , and those who don’t have an absolute right to disagree with you, and to do so in a direct and forthright manner. Ok , so with those perimeters in mind, I’ve decided to post this opinion piece and hopefully some of you will feel free to post your thoughts on it as well . The title pretty much says it all . Are we losing the “V”in VLJ?
When I first started reading VLJ in 2009, it was the first forum that I had ever joined . There were others that I would check in on occasionally , but none held my interest as thoroughly as VLJ. As I look back now, I realize that most of what attracted me to this forum, sadly … has faded away over the years.
For those of you who may be new here , let me say that while you may find your time here interesting and enjoyable , the forum is a small part of what it used to be . The Vintage Leather Jacket Forum was one of the leading forums to learn about just that,….. Vintage Leather Jackets . Predominantly vintage military jackets, but also vintage civilian jackets . It was a great place to learn about them because several who were here at that time, were posting pieces about old jackets on a daily basis, complete with photographs , analyzing and scrutinizing every intricate part of the jacket and talking about the placement of the zippers and detailed photos of methods of attachment of various sections of the old jackets . This forum was truly a place to learn about a variety of topics having to do with older turn of the century civilian and WWII Flight jackets. However, it seems that much of that is gone now, along with some of those who had a wealth of knowledge about these subjects . Occasionally someone will post a vintage jacket that will draws some “oohs and Ahh’s “ but not much more than that . Once again for the newer guys, I realize that most of you probably won’t get this post as you weren’t around back then and really don’t have any experiences from that period to compare with to today’s forum . But it was different . Today the focus seems to be around cheap ….No … let me rephrase that… inexpensive repro jackets . As I read through the threads these days , much of what is posted is less technical , less dedicated to the art of finding and preserving the history of vintage jackets and less focused on the educational side of collecting some of these great historic artifacts . Most will say, that if you’re fortunate enough to be able to afford to collect antique jackets, great for you, but many of us don’t have the financial abilities to do that . Once again I totally get that and agree with you on that topic . The Covid thing has left some families destitute and without the necessities of life . But that’s not what I’m discussing here . Years ago, many weren’t able to afford to purchase vintage jackets and others had no desire to enter into that arena . However , that did not prevent them from wanting to learn and to experience as much about the hobby as possible .Once again I think that these days, the focus is on learning about what creates a good inexpensive repro . Sadly I think the “Vintage” in VLJ is slowly fading away . I think the times and the focus of many have changed . Maybe it’s time to reconsider an alternative name , something like the “Vintage Reproduction Leather Forum” . Like I said at the top of this thread , this is just my opinion. I hope some of you will share your opinions as well . Both positive and negative responses are welcome.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Cheers
I agree with you very much. From the perspective of manufacturers, the price of vintage jackets is increasing every year, and as time goes by, we can find fewer and fewer excellent vintage jackets. This has led to us such manufacturer, but those who are familiar with the history of military clothing will know that the products we can develop are very limited, mainly from WWII to the Vietnam War.
The high price of the vintage jackets will prevent many people from trying this style. It's not necessarily that they don't like it, but the price does not allow people to approach it. This has become a hobby of the rich.