• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are we ever satisfied

1911A1US

Over the years I have had a few leather flight jackets,ELC`s A2 Roughwear,B3 repo,B3 originals,Avirex A2 (1982),a green leather A1 from I don`t know who,W&G A2 goat,Foster 55J14,and always looking for the Holy Grail so to speak,one that really is a keeper.Now that spring is in the air I am already thinking about next seasons purchase.With the currant economic problem and being taxed beyond belief,I find that my expendable income is getting less.Granted I have been gainfully employed for 39 years with the same company.But the fact of the matter is the cash flow in the household for the non essentials is slowly going by the wayside.I would enjoy putting that order in for a Goodwear A2,but the other living expenses take a precident over that notion.I have aquired a collection of many things,guns,knives,pens watches,cameras,guitars,on and on.But there is always something that I have got to have,is it a compulsion?I don`t know.I have more than enough jackets and clothing,to last the rest of my days.Damn the internet!!Anyone else in the position.Brian B Tompkins Lodge #471 SINY.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
1911A1US said:
... have more than enough jackets and clothing,to last the rest of my days.Damn the internet!!Anyone else in the position.

Anyone else ??

We're all in that position. :lol:

Cobblers161

That's the truth! I'm just pleased I found this joint. My wife thought I was freak and frankly so did, finding VLJ confirmed my suspicions but at least I no longer feel the solitude. ;)

Hawkeye

Never. I thought I would be satisfied after I got my Irvin from ELC. Now that springs come along I convinced myself that I absolutely MUST have a light spring jacket and I just went and ordered a black Hartmann...enough is never enough....and it certainly doesnt help things with the exchange rate being as good as it is right now either!

John Lever

My trouble is that I am never satisfied but worse still I sell a jacket to fund a new purchase only to regret it later...
BTW there is no such thing as a keeper.

greyhound52

John Lever said:
My trouble is that I am never satisfied but worse still I sell a jacket to fund a new purchase only to regret it later...
BTW there is no such thing as a keeper.

Ain't it the truth. It is human nature never to be satisfied and it is the same with flight jackets.
:x

Milu

I'm also in a bad way, I'm waiting on a new aero and I'm already planning the next one :eek:

jack aranda

Ah, John Lever, respectfully and in the most friendly way, I must disagree with you, a little. Fifteen years ago, newly married, my wife and I saw a black lambskin duffle coat in a consignment store. It fit beautifully and was priced accordingly. We were broke, but somehow she found the money to buy that coat for me. That one is a keeper.

So is my Aero Hercules, the four-hour wonder, and my Aero A-1. And, Mark's #4, and my Good Wear A-2. Those jackets are not negotiable.

And, 1911A1US, I agree with your thoughts completely. I've had times when I barely had any jacket to wear at all, and now I curse the closet for not being big enough to hold my leather jackets. I think it's time I practiced contentment and enjoy what I have. Save a bit for the rainy days ahead.

1911A1US

True Jack Aranda,I believe it was Confucius who said " all we need is a roof over our heads,food and some kind of direction".The first two most of the populus here has,the last I don`t think I ever had.But my journey on earth is not over yet.

Dr H

It puts me in mind of Maslow's heirarch of needs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_h ... y_of_needs), although for some VLJF members the uppermost tier might be supplanted by one involving a rare contract (Security Aviation Togs, anyone? :) ), patched/painted and published A2, with provenance, with supporting documentation and a distinguished former owner, etc., etc. ;)

jacketimp

Dr H said:
It puts me in mind of Maslow's heirarch of needs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_h ... y_of_needs), although for some VLJF members the uppermost tier might be supplanted by one involving a rare contract (Security Aviation Togs, anyone? :) ), patched/painted and published A2, with provenance, with supporting documentation and a distinguished former owner, etc., etc. ;)

pavlov's salivating dog comes to mind..........for bell substitute A2s

grooooooowl....

Jason

I must be the odd one out here... I've strangely reached a state of satisfaction with my collection, although it would be nice to get a little more nylon in the form of an N-2A, and a nice repro B-10. Oh, a nice GW Doniger too.
Hmm, if that isn't a contradictory sentence, then I don't know what is!

John Lever

Jason said:
I must be the odd one out here... I've strangely reached a state of satisfaction with my collection, although it would be nice to get a little more nylon in the form of an N-2A, and a nice repro B-10. Oh, a nice GW Doniger too.
Hmm, if that isn't a contradictory sentence, then I don't know what is!
Hmm.. sounds though you have some issues there.

Andrew

Jason said:
I must be the odd one out here... I've strangely reached a state of satisfaction with my collection...
Jason that's just a sign that some other obsession is brewing away just below the surface... :)

Seriously I know the feeling, don't need any more Irvins, original A-2's or repro A-2's unless something amazing and very particular to my interests passes my way.

A

Anonymous

What is an obsession is it a void in our life that fills the spot or is the thrill of the chase .Because with A-2s 98% of the population just think its a brown jacket so its not a show off thing look what Ive got .With thousands of words being written on the subject of A-2s we know so little for example who is responsable for the design ,why was it never insulated .How was it that Aero made most of them and cooper made the least of them ,why not all the companys out get an equal share of the manufacture .Where did the goatskin come from was it from the USA or overseas ,and if a sample of what the Army wanted or a drawing sent to the different makers how is it they are all different cuts.This would of not happened with the different of equipment manufacturers for example bombers guns bullets bombs jeeps they would of all been interchangable in the field .Just some of the things I have always wondered about my obsession ?

All the best Jeff .

Andrew

Good questions- I wonder the same things.

WRT the Irvin trousers, I am aware of the existence of an example of a sealed pattern that was part of a collection of a Friend of mine years ago. It consisted of a length of braided wire that was looped through them and sealed with a lead seal. I believe there was also an identification tag. I presume that there were probably something similar for the jackets, however it's more than likely that being more useful these would have been cut away so they could be used. Now what would they be worth now?

Peter Graham

I've a confession to make. I'm losing the bug. It's like a mist has lifted from my eyes and all I see in my wardrobe is a load of tatty old jackets instead of the wonderful artifacts I used to see. Hopefully it's a temporary condition. Help !