• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are vintage jacket disgusting?

Those field jackets made for potential war with Soviet Union. Only jungle fatigues were special made for viet nam war.
At Asian , majority of the field jacket supply stored at Okinawa, Japan. Only relatively small quantity were stored at viet nam, for soldier or marine who fought at cold environment , I. E. central highland.

Thank you for that answer. Learning all the time in here :)

If you have genuine concerns about these issues, the easiest way to deal with them is to purchase new reproductions and give up on vintage clothing … but …. Remember to wash them before wearing, because you never know who tried them on before you … and there are a lot of guys who go “commando “ . If you don’t understand what that means, I’m sure anyone here can explain that term to you . ;)

I dont have genuine concerns about this, as i have been wearing vintage military jackets for years, also leather jackets wich are hard to clean

I have never had any problems. But i think my topic is fear. How dirty are these pieces that we are wearing, even after washing. Iam no way any expert on bacteria or chemicals.

Micawber

If you have been around and wearing this stuff for years then the fact that you are still alive today might, in part, answer your question. No offence intended but I think your use of the term 'disgusting' is not helping, might I suggest using 'unhealthy' or 'potentially hazardous' might be more appropriate :)

I've been wearing 60+ yearly skin for 60+ years and I don't find it at all disgusting... although others may disagree ;)

Pa12

If you have been around and wearing this stuff for years then the fact that you are still alive today might, in part, answer your question. No offence intended but I think your use of the term 'disgusting' is not helping, might I suggest using 'unhealthy' or 'potentially hazardous' might be more appropriate :)

I've been wearing 60+ yearly skin for 60+ years and I don't find it at all disgusting... although others may disagree ;)
Aged to perfection ;) at least that’s what I tell my wife.

None taken :)

Well, it wasn't exactly a matter of life and death. I dont think anyone really living on the edge while wearing vintage jackets :) Rather, a thought about a topic that I personally haven't given much attention to.

I hope no one got offended by the term «disgusting». I collect military myself, and i have no problem admit that some of the jackets i have recieved, has had a disgusting (unhealthy) smell and feel about it. It was really just to get the discussion going. Im sorry if the term did provoke.

P-47 thunderbolt

I only wear WW2 or Korea/VN/ Irak war originals…no need of going for repros anymore.. and really honoring, nursing and enjoying them…
Disgusting is only the unfounded opinion of the “ I know it all and all better “ of the sofa potato experts ones.
BTW.. greetings from Seoul.View attachment 138813View attachment 138811
Hi Pilot, do you wear an original a2 at all? How do you find it? Do you need to be super careful?

Pilot

Hi Pilot, do you wear an original a2 at all? How do you find it? Do you need to be super careful?
Hi
Thanks for asking.
Yes I wear A-2 originals and G-1’s from the 50s… unpatched/ undecorated/ in solid condition.
I only wear them on Military or Air shows.. or at some reunions… sure not for work or travelling ( for travelling I have my Saddlery A-2 or a L-2a also original..).