• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are vintage jacket disgusting?

I have several m65 jackets and also jungle shirts from Vietnam era. I always wash them in machine before use, but it is hard to get rid of the «old smell» sometimes.

However, yesterday i heard that the Vietnam era jackets are disgusting to wear. They may have dangerous bacteria,diseases from Asia that still live in the jacket, and the jackets may also have been exposed to Agent Orange. And even with washing this will not go away.

What is your take on the vintage jackets? Especially from the Vietnam era..

I dont buy used clothes in general, but i have always been in to the history and look of the Vietnam era M65 and jungle shirts.

Is it very gros and disgusting to wear?

Pilot

I only wear WW2 or Korea/VN/ Irak war originals…no need of going for repros anymore.. and really honoring, nursing and enjoying them…
Disgusting is only the unfounded opinion of the “ I know it all and all better “ of the sofa potato experts ones.
BTW.. greetings from Seoul.
IMG_0042.jpeg
IMG_0041.jpeg

Dany McDonald

Actually yes sometime they are. It's a fact and it can be a deal breaker, especially when the cleaning becomes a challenge and puts the integrity of the garment at risk. Leather versus cloth have a different approach. Winter kits with their insolation can be tricky to deal with...etc...
Heavy soiling can degrade some parts of, or the entire garment and make conservation complicated too. You have to use your head and evaluate every steps before going forward. Some kits will have to become presentation pieces depending.

I don't have any experience with chemical agents so I have no idea. I have dealt with encrusted body odour and heavy stains of all sorts.

Is it very gros and disgusting to wear? = My answer is some times...

Hope this helps.

D

Erwin

However, yesterday i heard that the Vietnam era jackets are disgusting to wear. They may have dangerous bacteria,diseases from Asia that still live in the jacket, and the jackets may also have been exposed to Agent Orange. And even with washing this will not go away.
Hi, any source for this? Any unwashed or properly cleaned clothing can be disgusting when dirty. Vintage clothing can be contaminated, not only a military one. You can be exposed to "dangerous bacteria, and diseases" in any region. Wash these field jackets properly ;)

B-Man2

If you have genuine concerns about these issues, the easiest way to deal with them is to purchase new reproductions and give up on vintage clothing … but …. Remember to wash them before wearing, because you never know who tried them on before you … and there are a lot of guys who go “commando “ . If you don’t understand what that means, I’m sure anyone here can explain that term to you . ;)

Dumpster D

I never picked up a Staph infection yet, and honestly never washed any vietnam Era Jackets...Agent orange on the other hand...well, my friend is in Turf Management and told me the pesticides they use are still two thirds Agent orange, he's been doused in that stuff a few times.

Pa12

I never picked up a Staph infection yet, and honestly never washed any vietnam Era Jackets...Agent orange on the other hand...well, my friend is in Turf Management and told me the pesticides they use are still two thirds Agent orange, he's been doused in that stuff a few times.
I believe it’s in the industrial “roundup “. Can’t buy it without a license. The stuff we can buy is super watered down.

Dumpster D

I believe it’s in the industrial “roundup “. Can’t buy it without a license. The stuff we can buy is super watered down.

It's awful stuff of nightmares, folks used it on the poison Ivy in the backyard. It also destroyed all the lovely wild blackberries (along with the poison Ivy) and it hasn't grown back in decades, probably never will. Damn shame..Even if the blackberries grew back I'm not trusting they'd be safe to eat.

That, and Teflon.

Pa12

I only use it on the gravel driveway. It’s so watered down now I have to use it several times per season. The old stuff used to be one shot per year. Anywhere the wife wants a new garden I just lay down a tarp or cardboard. Kills everything pretty quickly.

Micawber

As to ‘disgusting’ garments - hmmm a lot boils down to personal tolerance levels. If concerned - and depending upon the item condition and material- then a period in a deep freeze, dry cleaning, washing, disinfecting, subjecting items to UV-C light are all potential options along with others. If you are really concerned you might be better served with wearing new, modern reproduction items.

Pilot

As to ‘disgusting’ garments - hmmm a lot boils down to personal tolerance levels. If concerned - and depending upon the item condition and material- then a period in a deep freeze, dry cleaning, washing, disinfecting, subjecting items to UV-C light are all potential options along with others. If you are really concerned you might be better served with wearing new, modern reproduction items.
Spot on… as usual!

Thomas Koehle

Actually yes sometime they are. It's a fact and it can be a deal breaker, especially when the cleaning becomes a challenge and puts the integrity of the garment at risk. Leather versus cloth have a different approach. Winter kits with their insolation can be tricky to deal with...etc...
Heavy soiling can degrade some parts of, or the entire garment and make conservation complicated too. You have to use your head and evaluate every steps before going forward. Some kits will have to become presentation pieces depending.

I don't have any experience with chemical agents so I have no idea. I have dealt with encrusted body odour and heavy stains of all sorts.

Is it very gros and disgusting to wear? = My answer is some times...

Hope this helps.

D
Absolutely my opinion

B-Man2

As I posted earlier in this thread, vintage clothing and jackets are not for everyone. Basically, in the case of WWII items , they are almost 80 years old. They’ve been hidden away in attics and storage bins with mildew and among rodents, vermin and insects ( let’s be honest here) in some cases since 1945. Even if properly cleaned and de infested , some people can’t handle the thought of all that. But I can assure you that if you’ve ever been in the military crawling thru some of the infiltration or combat simulation courses or just a kid playing army and crawling around in the cow pastures or chicken coups or if you’ve ever been dumpster diving …. You’ve been thru just as bad crap and you’ll be ok with it all :);)

Last edited:

Pa12

Few years back I bought a CAF cloth flight jacket off eBay. When it arrived it looked brand new and no stains. It came with the added bonus of the gut wrenching schtank of puke. Washed it twice and it was odour free.