• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Jacket Prices Finally Rebounding?

Atticus

Because jacket collecting may be a luxury pastime, the last several years of economic turmoil seems to have been particularly hard on vintage jacket prices. Perhaps we could all agree on that generalization. Not that I mind the depressed prices. For a person like me who always buys and almost never sells, the price decline has been great. But is it slowly coming to an end?

Recently, I've seen two OK-but-not-great G-1s break the grand barrier. Also, I've been watching vintage nylon (in context of a thread over on FL) and it appears to be coming back. Black-tag and early white-tag N jackets, which used to be such a specialty item that they often didn't even break their starting bid, are now selling for big bucks. Even CWUs are beginning to go for what appear to be reasonable sale prices.

Am I just whistling through the cemetery? What are y'all's recent observations?

AF

John Lever

There were two used ELC RAF jackets that did well recently, both selling for over £400. Otherwise I would say it's pretty flat.
The Germans seem to be the only people with any money.
As with the depressed prices with used cars, I think potential sellers are just keeping their jackets in the belief that they aren't worth much second hand so ebay has been very quiet for months.

TankBuster

I would say that I agree with you AF. Really nice jackets have never really dropped in value from what I've seen, but the "better than average stuff" has really come back over the last few months. I've had some very good sales recently!

Peter Graham

Atticus said:
Black-tag and early white-tag N jackets, which used to be such a specialty item that they often didn't even break their starting bid, are now selling for big bucks.
You can say that again. When I first started looking at early N-3B's they were pretty cheap. Now even average condition ones are selling for over $300. Wish I'd made more of an effort to buy one when they were affordable.

Stony

I tend to see a lot of junk on the bay these days with nice jackets not being sold as much.

Even CWUs are beginning to go for what appear to be reasonable sale prices.

I just picked one up on the bay for $35 in good condition. I have never had one and just wanted one for colder weather that wasn't leather.

Atticus

Stony said:
Even CWUs are beginning to go for what appear to be reasonable sale prices.
I just picked one up on the bay for $35 in good condition. I have never had one and just wanted one for colder weather that wasn't leather.

Yeah, there's still some good prices out there. Two of my CWU 45/Ps were purchased for their 99 cents opening bids. But that was several years ago and I haven't seen any deals quite that good in a while.

BTW, in the process of following the FL thread on N jackets, I got interested in nylon again and ended up buying this stained, Reed N-3A. I have no idea why. Hell, it hasn't been cold enough around here this winter to even wear an A-2.

KGrHqZpsE63ZjTVC4BPE3NsWWiw60_3-1.jpg

AF

Clark J

What the H*ll do you need that for G?????I have 2 green ones and have only worn them a couple of times up here!Let me know if you want to move it though.

Jason

Love a bit of blue nylon, great looking Reed AF.

Could the increased jacket prices also be due to more seasonal / short term factors? With winter in the northern hemisphere and the release of Red Tails in the US... perhaps thats helping to kick jacket prices northward too?

Atticus

Clark J said:
What the H*ll do you need that for G?????I have 2 green ones and have only worn them a couple of times up here!Let me know if you want to move it though.
Kinda funny you say that, Clark. I'm actually thinking of leaving it at Jackie's parents' house for me to wear when I'm up there.

AF

Dr H

Atticus said:
BTW, in the process of following the FL thread on N jackets, I got interested in nylon again and ended up buying this stained, Reed N-3A. I have no idea why. Hell, it hasn't been cold enough around here this winter to even wear an A-2.

KGrHqZpsE63ZjTVC4BPE3NsWWiw60_3-1.jpg

An N-3A, that's what it is... :roll:

When I was at school in the '70s we all had navy blue versions of these at school, with orange quilted lining and reinforced pockets just like that. I never realised that it was actually based on a real jacket... :)

Does it zip up to form a funnel hood (like Kenny wears on South Park)?

Atticus

Jason said:
Love a bit of blue nylon, great looking Reed AF.

Could the increased jacket prices also be due to more seasonal / short term factors? With winter in the northern hemisphere and the release of Red Tails in the US... perhaps thats helping to kick jacket prices northward too?
Hi Jason...that and a bit of an N-jacket fashion trend seems to be afoot here in the States, of late. I see more and more N-2A and B repros showing up here and there. Some of them are actually close to the real deal.

BTW...I sold our old Star G-1 to HackerF-16E...and he took it with him on a tour overseas. He recently wrote to me and said the old girl has now definitely flown combat missions. I can’t help but wonder if this recent one isn’t but one of the wars under that jacket’s wind flap.

AF

Atticus

Dr H said:
Does it zip up to form a funnel hood (like Kenny wears on South Park)?

No.

carolinagame011.jpg

AF

* OK..this is actually an N-2A I'm wearing...but yes, the N-3A is the original schnorkel jacket.

Dr H

Arrrgghhh! They killed Geoff!! :eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist... ;)

My cheapo school version zipped up into a tube - could barely see anything :lol:

Stony

BTW...I sold our old Star G-1 to HackerF-16E...and he took it with him on a tour overseas. He recently wrote to me and said the old girl has now definitely flown combat missions. I can’t help but wonder if this recent one isn’t but one of the wars under that jacket’s wind flap.

I thought they weren't allowed to wear anything but issue flight gear. If not, then that's pretty cool.

Atticus

Stony said:

I thought they weren't allowed to wear anything but issue flight gear. If not, then that's pretty cool.
Stony, I can only guess that they get away with things in a war zone that might raise eyebrows here. He and I had talked about the possibility before he left. I was very happy when he thought to let me know that he'd flown with the jacket. In fact, I got his message only shortly after he landed...afer midnight here in the states. I was tempted to ask the details, but figured I shouldn't.

AF

galvestonokie

i have noticed that prices for standard jackets have been soft for some time, but it seems that primo jackets still are pricey. i recently purchased a "named" even though i never got the name from the seller, M422a on the bay and paid quite a bit (for me). the jacket will be wearable after cuff, waistband alteration.

i was also fascinated by the (hopefully accurate)jacket provenance. supposedly worn on combat missions during WWII by a Navy Lt who won the DFC. he flew the Navy version of B-24 out of a field in UK, chasing (and sinking) subs in Bay of Biscay. i also received a pair of what appear to be WWII issue flight gloves plus some documentation... but no name confirmation.

Name of owner was less important to me than the jacket itself. i am hard to fit (48" chest, 36" waist) but i can wear the jacket comforably. it is a bit long in the body as these jackets are. i have not seen many size 48 G&F jackets in this condition over the past 6 or 8 years. after receiving and checking out, cuff and waist are only real problems other than a bit of mouton wear. it is still cheap compared to a new jacket from JC.

Price over $800 took a bit of... soul-searching but, in the end, i am very happy with the jacket. and, as many of us would agree, that's what's important.

ausreenactor

I sold my ELC RAF for $725 which surprised, and depressed me. The buyer loved the zipper.
And my BR B-10 went too. I am watching to see if anyone gets in on the BR A-2 to see if it moves.

Couchy

watchmanjimg

That one didn't go cheap but I recall some cases in 2005-2006 where sage nylon sold for north of $800 on Ebay. In fairness it's an excellent example and A-spec MA-1s are relatively uncommon. I'm not sure I'd consider this auction a bellwether of a strengthening market, but rather an instance of a particularly nice item with a price tag to match its condition and rarity.

RCSignals

That is a very nice looking MA-1. I'm always amased to see a used cloth jacket sell that high but obviously it is a good price to some people and it seems to be fairly common.