• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and Everything A-1

airfrogusmc said:
There was also a picture of a pilot with his back turned enough to see in was a one piece. Musta been a private purchase because all the original issued ones were two piece :roll: :roll:

Was his back turned around enough that you could see the spec label?
(insert eyerolling yellow faces here)

John Lever

Just an observation, as things seem to be getting heated. But are there any known contracts for this jacket and is there an original specification somewhere ?

airfrogusmc

From everything I've read there weren't strict specs. Was it Sweeting that said cape? There were some that weren't. Who knows what was official issue and what wasn't. Even the photos from the time period contradict one another.

airfrogusmc said:
From everything I've read there weren't strict specs. Was it Sweeting that said cape? There were some that weren't. Who knows what was official issue and what wasn't. Even the photos from the time period contradict one another.

As I said before the only three original issued A-1s I have seen photos of are of virtually identical specs (three piece sleeves, yoked back, etc). While I'm not ruling out that there were military-issued variant A-1s (one piece backs, high pockets, made of horse, etc), until examples begin to surface (spec tags intact) I don't see how anyone here can consider this anything other than speculation.

bseal

Rumor has it, John Lever has a Goodwear capeskin A-1 on the way. Could he be distracted by his new toy and persuaded to sell his size 44" Buzz?
;)

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
Just an observation, as things seem to be getting heated. But are there any known contracts for this jacket and is there an original specification somewhere ?

Thankyou for getting this thread back on track, John.

The book, Full Gear, lists the usual 31-800 P, DWG. No. AN-6501, and notes: 2 snap buttons on the bottom. That's the label we always see reproduced, manufacturer unknown, year guessed as 1931.

ALSO: Order No. W535 AC 2486, DWG No. 074734, Manufacturer: MIRABELLI BROS. CO. 1928.

Source: Full Gear, by Aota Mituhiro, page 18

John Lever

bseal said:
Rumor has it, John Lever has a Goodwear capeskin A-1 on the way. Could he be distracted by his new toy and persuaded to sell his size 44" Buzz?
;)

What rumour is that Steve ?
Yes, I have a BR A1 and it's definitely staying this side of the pond this time !
Two of my other jackets have flown back to the US, but not this one.
BuzzRicksons030.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/johnlever/BuzzRicksons032.jpg[/IMG

[img]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/johnlever/BuzzRicksons031.jpg

BuzzRicksons032.jpg

BuzzRicksons046.jpg

Simon Debrux

Hi John, That Buzz A-1 is a great looking jacket but in the photograph of you wearing it the leather looks rather stiff and unyielding. I am assuming this was taken when it was brand new. Is this the "bronco" leather version? I am wondering whether it has softened up much with wear and whether you would mind posting a photo post break-in (presuming you've worn it). S
BuzzRicksons046.jpg

John Lever

Simon, it was new when this photo was taken. It is still pretty tough and stiff but not so as to make it uncomfortable to wear.
Here are some shots taken with a timer in very bright sunlight. I had to semi squat to get the height right so I look a bit strained.
IMGP1717.jpg

IMGP1708.jpg

I would concede that the horse is probably too heavy for the design and cut of the jacket, but it's still a stylish jacket. The leather is very creaky. Recently I was in a shop and some customers who were about 10 feet away said, ' what's that creaking?'

Simon Debrux

Ha! My LW used to drive my wife mad with its creaking, particularly when we were in the cinema or the car. Sometimes her whinging got so bad I'd wear it just to annoy her. Not recommended! I definitely think your jacket will look even better when it's had a bit more wear. The LW which was also horsehide looked superb after it had been properly broken in.

bfrench

Administrator
John Lever said:
SNIP Recently I was in a shop and some customers who were about 10 feet away said, ' what's that creaking?'

AHHHH, the creaking of leather and the creaking of a ship at dock as the waves rock it back and forth - some of the greatest sounds in the world - only the initiated can know and appreciate.

Bill French

Andrew

Watching the many discussions on the A-1, i've been wondering does anyone have a recent photo of a military issued A-1 as seen in the period photos- are there any original A-1's in existence in the collections of anyone on this forum? If not , where are they all? On any day you can find pre-War goggles, helmets etc on ebay but i've never seen a recent shot of the illusive military issue A-1. What would one of these things sell for at a guess?

Have the limited number of surviving examples just been locked away in private collections?

Chandler

Leadsky said:
Have the limited number of surviving examples just been locked away in private collections?

Back on page 19 in this thread is the ELC ad for their A-1 with an original in comparison. And I believe there's a decent example in Suit Up! (pictured early in this thread - page 2).

Chandler

zoomer

Leadsky said:
Exactly it. And I would imagine most all are in Japan, where they went when nobody over here gave a damn, because they had nothing to do with WW2.

Members online

Latest posts