• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and Everything A-1

bseal

zoomer said:
That's dated 1939, btw...it's entirely possible that whoever compiled that list had never actually seen an A-1. :geek:

It's dated 1939, but they knew precisely (down to the exact day) when the stock would be exhausted in the 40's? :cool:
Psychic? Men who stare at goats?

Good Wear v. ELC

CustomODA-1pocketcomparison.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bseal said:
Capeskin: a firm, washable leather used esp. for gloves, originally made from the skin of goats from the Cape of Good Hope, but now from hairy lambskin or sheepskin.

I can see that this is a dictionary definition, but it's incorrect ... capeskin is from hair sheep, they don't have wool, but they're sheep, and not related to goats.

asiamiles

So this a Good Wear custom special? I was going to say that it wouldn't be as accurate a repro as the ELC A-1 but since the 2 are pictured above side-by-side presumably John could have copied the pattern from the Eastman (which was copied from an original) rather than from an A-2 which the regular GW A-1 is modified from, though the pockets look different. Anyway, I think it looks great in OD, and would happily trade my chocolate brown ELC A-1 for one.

fishmeok

Finished another one last night, essentially the same as the previous, but wit a trimmer pattern and different buttons (real horn)
Cheers
Mark

CompDown801.jpg

CompDown805.jpg

CompDown806.jpg

CompDown807.jpg

CompDown810.jpg

CompDown811.jpg

CompDown812.jpg

CompDown814.jpg

CompDown848.jpg

jack aranda

CSI-NY: One of the detectives, a tall, dark-haired guy, named Flack (Honest!) has worn a black leather blazer for several seasons. He always looked slicker than a bucket of Brylcreem, more like a hood than a cop. Last week, he turned up in a zip-front, medium brown A-1 style jacket. Looked nice. The jacket and the detective, like he was finally getting serious about his career.

Doug C

That A1 looks great, I'd prefer the lower pocket but that's not pattern related so much, I think you got the pattern looking just right. Also the color is awesome and the only improvement in my mind would be a more textured leather, so maybe veg tanned. Though I realise that what you're useing is quite similar to most capeskin and is probably more accurate. Anyway, I love the jacket... make me one, one day ?

dujardin

nice one Mark,

good work and great look.
i wish to say you look like a ''gentleman farmer'' on the photo ;)
byeeeeee marcel

fishmeok

Thanks guys- I'm really happy with it. The pockets can go anywhere really, I like them either high or about A-2 height- not too fond of the tiny pockets right on the bottom topstich line, authentic or not- think it makes the jacket look out of balance.

One of my earlier ones had M-422A size pockets, that was good for actually using the things, but I think it also threw the balance off a little.

I have some samples of a really nice weathered cow that I think would make a nice A-1. Looks a lot like cape, but much tougher than lambskin. BTW Doug I can make you one anytime...
Cheers
Mark

klc

Thanks for this great thread. I am new here.

It is very interesting how there are so many interpretations in A1 repros. There are variations in cut, design details, shell material etc (even goatskin has been suggested to have existed as an A-1)

I am thinking of approaching someone like JC at Good Wear, discuss a cut that suits my body type best from all the various A-2 patterns that he has, use that pattern on a custom A-1 order and use goatskin for the order.

What are your views and suggestions?

navvet

Welcome to the forum,klc. It sounds like you have done your homework on A-1's. If you have a definite customized design in mind, then go for it. Other suggestions may not be very helpful at this stage.

klc

navvet said:
Welcome to the forum,klc. It sounds like you have done your homework on A-1's. If you have a definite customized design in mind, then go for it. Other suggestions may not be very helpful at this stage.

I prefer capeskin over goatskin, but I don't really like the smooth capeskin that Eastman uses and JC has run out of the beautiful grainy capeskin he used to make A-1 out of.

Persimmon

Hi KLC and welcome.
I have the Eastman A1 and whilst I understand in part your doubt over the smoothness of the Capeskin, I have to say in three months of light wear mine it is already developing character and a "patina" that will make it superb.
I await the summer months when its my jacket to wear. They say its like wearing a waistcoat and so far so true.
Either way hope you get one and in the manufacturer of your choice.
What size are you ?
Also remember they are tight fighting so get the next size up from normal.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
klc said:
I am thinking of approaching someone like JC at Good Wear, discuss a cut that suits my body type best from all the various A-2 patterns that he has, use that pattern on a custom A-1 order and use goatskin for the order.

Hi klc .... I think a custom goatskin A-1 is a fine idea, but maybe just made to your measurements from an existing A-1 pattern. The A-1, and A-2 are perhaps less related than they appear, and don't share any common panels.