• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have any photos of ELC B-6 or D-1?

Cobblers161

I'm considering getting my hands on an ELC B-6 or D-1 for the winter, I was down Seaford this afternoon with my daughter and I was nithered with a B-10, Jumper and t-shirt. I clearly need something heavier.

Is anyone able to show any images of either jacket, being worn if possible. I've never actually seen one in the flesh, just the image of the rather clean cut happy guy on the ELC website. My worry is the collar size, so I'm plumping for the jacket with the smallest.

I love John's (Levers) AN-J-4, very much, but I don't think I'm ready for such beefed up collars.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve

rich

Years ago I had an ELC D-1 which I thought was a beautifully made jacket - but I found it draughty with nothing to pull the waist in and for me the arm movement was quite restrictive. I wished I had gone for a B-6 instead. This could be as much to do with my body shape as the jacket though - I still like the D-1, more than it liked me at any rate :(
Sorry, I have no pics.

John Lever

1/4 sheepskin isn't that good below freezing. I wore my B-2 in Salzburg last winter and I was absolutely frozen solid.

Swing

rich said:
Years ago I had an ELC D-1 which I thought was a beautifully made jacket - but I found it draughty with nothing to pull the waist in and for me the arm movement was quite restrictive. I wished I had gone for a B-6 instead.

Yep, The zips or belts at the sides, and the snaps at the cuffs make the B-6 a much better choice than the D-1. I disagree with John, and think the fleece depth of the B-6 and D-1 perfect for real world use. The heavier jackets are just too bulky, and it has to be well below freezing for them not to be too warm. If you're wearing a thermal shirt and a sweater, a B-6 will keep you warm at temps near zero. There rest of you may be cold, but your torso shouldn't be.

Collar size... I've got some photos of my B-6 somewhere. Without having it at hand right now to measure or compare, I'd say it will be a little wider than a B-10's collar. No where near as big as those on B-3s and AN-J-4s.

~Swing

TankBuster

Here's pics of my B-6. I ordered it from ELC about
a month ago. It's a very nice jacket. I picked the B-6
over the D-1 because of the extra length in the body.
I wear Sz 42 in the ELC Monarch, and a 42 long in their
B-10. Gary suggested that I go with a Sz42 in the B-6.
It fits very well, but there is not a ton of extra room
for a thicker shirt. If that's what you want, you may
want to go a size up. Comparing it to a B-10, I would say
for warmth factor the B-6 has a slight advantage, but
not as much as you would think!

077.jpg

075.jpg

073.jpg

Clark J

Here's a shot of each of my Eastman D-1s.The seal is a new one and the other is a "not produced"Redskin.I love the fit of the D-1 and it does keep you warm without the bulk of a B-3.
004-4.jpg

003-3.jpg

rich

Clark J said:
Here's a shot of each of my Eastman D-1s.The seal is a new one and the other is a "not produced"Redskin.I love the fit of the D-1 and it does keep you warm without the bulk of a B-3.

Gorgeous jackets!

Clark J

One thing on the Eastman D-1 I should mention and I wish they would fix is that there is no way you could ever use the throat strap,the buckle is just to far back on the collar.It needs to be moved closer to the zip about 2 inches.

greyhound52

Great looking D-1s and B-6. I just ordered a redskin Aero D-1. I considered an ELC but the price and free shipping won me over. Plus it is an awesome looking jacket.

Vcruiser

Not an ELC...but here's the only pic I have of my Aero B6. After a couple of swealtering B3s...I sold them on for the lighter weight shearling. I not only prefer the style of the B6...but it also has never left me cold on an Indiana winter day. This pic was taken at Christmas last year. Temp was a windy snowy 18 degrees above 0...and we had been walking outside off and on much of the day.

100_0744.jpg

Van

Cobblers161

Thanks Gents... There's not a lot between the two, my choice was going to be the one with the smaller collar but they're pretty much the same.

The difficulty is they both look great....

How much of a difference is there in the length Jeff? I'm guessing about 1" max.

I love the D-1 Redskin and thus am tempted by Aero's version but the collar again looks larger than the ELC D-1, although that could just be the image. Anyone with a photo of the Aero redskin D-1?

The ELC Roughwear B6 looks a winner but the price is a little out of my league.

More difficult decisions eh?

TankBuster

Cobblers161 said:
Thanks Gents... There's not a lot between the two, my choice was going to be the one with the smaller collar but they're pretty much the same.

The difficulty is they both look great....

How much of a difference is there in the length Jeff? I'm guessing about 1" max.

I love the D-1 Redskin and thus am tempted by Aero's version but the collar again looks larger than the ELC D-1, although that could just be the image. Anyone with a photo of the Aero redskin D-1?

The ELC Roughwear B6 looks a winner but the price is a little out of my league.

More difficult decisions eh?

The length is about a 1 1/2" longer. I also like the configuration of the zipper better.
Either jacket is nice though!

m444uk

Here's my ELC B6. An early one with the matte finish which I prefer to the later harder shiny one.
With room left for layering these are warm jackets. Minus 22 oC at the top of a cable car station is the coldest
I've been with it.

AAA024.jpg

AAA025-1.jpg

AAA026.jpg

AAA028-1.jpg

AAA032.jpg

adam

m444uk

rich said:
Fantastic jacket Adam!

Thanx, I think I've had it 0ver 8 years now. The hand warmer pockets and pleated back design make it a very practical and comfortable bit of kit.The pictures were taken some 4 years ago so it's looking better now with a bit more wear.
The wool depth is only 1/4" , as per original spec, so a 2 season jacket here in the UK.

adam

handworn

That's the kind of picture that should be taken of these jackets, not the boring "stand out back looking as though you're posing" kind. What a classic Americana scene. You could be a veteran and his wife, circa 1960.

I've been thinking of getting a B-6, and I think I'll go with an Aero, like you. The Eastmans are a hundred dollars more, no better-looking, and too glossy-looking for me. Though I admit to wondering what they'd look like with their new broken-grain leather. Did you have to supply the nametag, or did they do it?

Vcruiser said:
Not an ELC...but here's the only pic I have of my Aero B6. After a couple of swealtering B3s...I sold them on for the lighter weight shearling. I not only prefer the style of the B6...but it also has never left me cold on an Indiana winter day. This pic was taken at Christmas last year. Temp was a windy snowy 18 degrees above 0...and we had been walking outside off and on much of the day.

100_0744.jpg

Van

Vcruiser

Hello handworn
Many times members will "pose" in an effort to show certain areas of just how the jackets fit. This happened to be the only photo that I had on hand at the time.
I think that either Aero or ELC would be a great choice. If the Aero is that much cheaper..it would seem a no brainer. I do like mine.
Aero provided and attached the nametag. All I had to do was provide what I wanted stamped on it. They do make one of the better nametags..IMO.
Van