• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another VLJ Member works for "Red Tails" Film

CBI_Historian

Man, I really hope they don't blast the 33rdFG 'Nomads' North Africa part in the Tuskeegee story too badly in the film (I met Ben Davis in the late 80s by the way; he was a 'regular guy' and very nice to me). My Dad was in the 33rd (58th FS) but not until they were in the CBI Theatre, and I do a Newsletter for the remaining vets I've located over the years, around 300. Most of them did not think Momyer (33rdFG CO at the time of their association with the Tuskeegee airmen) was a very 'nice guy,' very 'by the book,' but I hope the film makers don't paint the 33rd in too much of a negative light.

I helped one of Spielberg's associates a few years ago, with the documentary they did for his Dad's outfit, the 490th BS 'Burma Bridge Busters.' It was rewarding too, I can relate! George

wop54

Hiya! Ive found this interesting photo on the internet that i want to share with you (even if i guess that most of you guys may have seen it already...)
Description: Fliers of a P-51 Mustang Group of the 15th Air Force in Italy `shoot the breeze' in the shadow of one of the Mustangs they fly." Left to right: Lt. Dempsey W. Morgan, Jr.; Lt. Car roll S. Woods; Lt. Robert H. Nelson, Jr.; Capt. Andrew D. Turner; and Lt. Clarence P. Lester. August 1944

african-americans-wwii-047.jpg

Isisllc

Slightly off-topic, butthe Tuskeegee Airmen were the guests of honor for this year's Indianapolis 500. Prior to the race, several of the pilots, and/or wives were introduced to the crowd (to a standing ovation), and then before the race, in lieu of the usual flight of jets over the speedway, two B-25's did a fly-over. We were sitting in the North Tower stands, and behind our seats was the hospitality area for the Airmen. Something else! Not often that I get to combine two of my passions!