• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another pain in the *** ending an item early

zoomer

It often seems to be unusual, rare-on-eBay items where this happens, too...the kind of thing someone might offer a fat sum for off-site to keep the snipes away. This also works in the seller's favor, as he doesn't owe a cut to eBay - just the listing fee.

havocpaul

I wonder sometimes if it's worth bidding on items if the sellers are going to keep doing it, a waste of time all round and I hope it wasn't someone offering an off-ebay BIN purchase but won't be the first or last time, underhand IMO.

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
Another seller pulls his item early despite it having bids, really annoying and possibly breaks the 'rules', certainly not fair play
eBay's rules allow it, well not officially, but they don't seem to do anything to stop it unlike some other far less "serious" stuff. Perhaps only allowing a seller to "end an auction early" say twice a year would help solve the problem, or perhaps like Yahoo there should be a "Seller may end auction early" option? Frankly eBay is so stacked against sellers these days, it's hard not to sympathise with them selling items privately, though I can understand the annoyance to potential buyers.

First time I've seen this in a listing: "P.S. I DO NOT HAVE NOT ANY OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS THE "VIRUS" AH1N1" :eek:

havocpaul

he is in Mexico which is why he mentioned the virus, he might not have swine flu but he is a swine, won't be bothering with his future listings as it appears he ended his ELC jacket early too...a time-waster.

Hawkeye

He's relisted the jacket. Coincidentally, this is the guy that bought an irvin collar strap off me for 350 bucks. And I had to laugh at seeing this in the new listing:

"I HAVE THE A ORIGINAL WW2 COLLAR STRAP I WON THIS IN AN AUCTION ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF AGO IN EBAY I PAYED 350.00 USD AT THAT MOMENT ( I KNOW THAT WAS STUPID...BUT I DID) I WILL SEND THE JACKET COMPLETE WITH THE BLACK ELASTIC COLLAR STRAP INCLUDED. AND BEFORE SOMEONE ASK YES I HAD THE INTENTION TO SELL THE COLLAR STRAP IN ANOTHER AUCTION (BECAUSE I BOUGHT IT SEPARATELY FROM THE JACKET)."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roughwear

asiamiles said:
Hawkeye said:
He's relisted the jacket.

Hard to know what the guy's up to; listing, pulling, relisting...

He's played the same game with other jackets before. I don't know why he buys these warm jackets to wear in Mexico? UK members can find an equally good or better Irvin over here if they are patient. His jacket is a Links jacket, not one of the better makers judging from the various Links jackets I have owned in the past.

Roughwear

Why not email him and ask him Paul. I suspect the real reason was the jacket was not increasing in price as he had hoped so he pulled the auction. Perhaps he should consider a BIN next time?

havocpaul

The majority of items only see a real rise in bids at the last day or so what with all the sniping that goes on so he's not giving it a chance; he's wasting his listing fees and not doing much for his reputation.

asiamiles

this is the guy that bought an irvin collar strap off me for 350 bucks.

Proof that the guy doesn't really seem to know what he's doing. Yes, maybe someone should ask him directly why he's continually cancelling his auctions.

wop54

The seller made a huge and interesting typing error (Freudian slip?) in the description (....of course it IS a repro....) that couldn't be deleted and rewritten. Probably he thought (and to me he was right) that the potential sellers' trust was definetely spoiled.....

Roughwear

wop54 said:
The seller made a huge and interesting typing error (Freudian slip?) in the description (....of course it IS a repro....) that couldn't be deleted and rewritten. Probably he thought (and to me he was right) that the potential sellers' trust was definetely spoiled.....

Yes, but any collector who knows a thing or two about Irvins would immediately see its an original jacket not a repro. He does correct himself later on. I suspect the jacket would have sold well, with some high bids at the end. I wonder when the jacket will re-appear on Ebay unless it has been sold outside Ebay?

wop54

Roughwear said:
wop54 said:

Yes, but any collector who knows a thing or two about Irvins would immediately see its an original jacket not a repro. He does correct himself later on. I suspect the jacket would have sold well, with some high bids at the end. I wonder when the jacket will re-appear on Ebay unless it has been sold outside Ebay?
I agree, Andrew. But since someone asked him if the item was an original, not all the potential buyers are expert collectors (and probably newbie collectors are the best clients, as they risk to overpay these jackets :) see what happened to him with the collar strap)

havocpaul

I e-mailed him via eBay to ask for the latest reason....he could have ammended the description and as Andrew said, most collectors would have no difficulty in seeing it as an original, I've yet to see a repro look that 'original'!

wop54

Paul and Andrew, I am no expert and am sure that you guys are right when you say that most of collectors can distinguish a repro from an original almost at first sight.
I was referring to those potential ebuyers that need to ask wether or not the jacket is a repro (if i was interested i had the to ask myself :D ). Also i think that this kind of newbie collectors are potentially the best clients (how many times I read in this forum of surprisingly high bids also for low quality jackets). Franky speaking, I sell on the Ebay once in awhile and always dream of a couple of happy fool starting a bid war on one of my items... :twisted: ...it never happened... :cry:
As for the description's error, i think that once you have the first bid you can only add info but not change the description.
Having said this, im in a learning phase of my new hobby and appreciate very much what all of you teach me every time i read your posts.

havocpaul

This is his reply and reasons...

"Hi Paul i am sorry for the inconvenience but i have seen that in the first 3 or 4 days before the end of the auction is when you can find almost the amount you will receive. This is a 100% wearable jacket no weak areas zips working perfect even the elastic collar strap is included...i wouldn't sale the jacket for less than 450,00 gbp plus shipping otherwise i prefer to keep it. Thanks"

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
... i have seen that in the first 3 or 4 days before the end of the auction is when you can find almost the amount you will receive.

More like half the end price, but with the seller's limited eBay experience he's unlikely to be convinced.

But it could still be a good deal .... just have to persuade Hawkeye to buy back the collar retaining strap. ;)