• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another BK Dubow 1755 gets to VLJ

Hobbstc

Guess its my turn. My BK Dubow 1755 just came in the mail. Took a few quick shots for you. Don't have any of me in it yet though. I took some in controlled lighting and some in natural direct sunlight so you can see the difference in color. Also, I put a white balance card in the first few so you can adjust your monitors if you want to get the correct colors.

My quick review...Fantastically soft hide. Already has great wrinkling and grain. I'm glad I got the 44, the 42 would have been too small. I'm working on taking some pics and ill put up an initial review. The knits are definitely purplish, not reddish as they look in the other review. Its difficult to capture the correct colors, even with a WB card. I guess the only complaint if I had one would be I might have wished for a 46, but that all on me not them. No way to layer much under it at all and the sleeves pull up a bit when raising my arms forward. Like I said, absolutely nothing wrong with the jacket at all, its my preference.

Here's the link to the fullsize pics. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tchphotography/sets/72157630976727918/

8183074390_7e7a089458.jpg

8183074044_5d8b5ae825.jpg

8183035385_e8cf10ae3f.jpg

8183034961_269fedaf7f.jpg

8183072884_8b20276dc2.jpg

8183034175_5a25ca0344.jpg

8183033759_c1515db0ab.jpg

8183071740_9b8f9425ac.jpg

8183032999_8583354ba9.jpg

8183071054_868ca19b9e.jpg

8183032193_ee48e91114.jpg

CryptoDave

Congrats!

It's a beautiful jacket. I love mine, wore it today to a meeting in fact.

When you get a chance, I'm sure we would all like to see pics of you in it.

You must be a photographer (the white balance card). It's hard to capture the color of the knits.

Enjoy,

Dave

Hobbstc

Yeah, the fifth picture down in the background you can see the knits and that is the closest to the true color. And yes, I am a photographer. I shoot sports for Florida State, ALMS racing, and sometimes weddings and such.

CryptoDave

Someday we have to trade photo stories. I spend most of my shooting time on Street Scenes, which if I'm not careful can get me into trouble.

Don't want to take this thread off topic, but I suspect there is a large cross over here between jackets and photography. If you notice all of the shots of my jackets, I try to do them outside in natural light against the back of my house which happens to be close to an 18% Grey.

Maybe I'll start another thread on this topic.

In the meantime, enjoy the jacket. It has become my go to jacket so far I suspect until the temps here in the NJ/NY area start to really drop, and then I'm going to need to move to something more substantial (warmer); I have a few ideas and will keep everyone posted as the other jackets arrive shortly.

Dave

derleicaman

Yup, the white balance card is certainly a tip-off. I am a photographer too; product photography, weddings, etc. and used to have my own lab business and camera sales. Closed my shop about 10 years ago when digital killed off the small labs. The money was in the lab; not so much in event photography and equipment sales.

Be interested in a thread to hear about your technique. I spoke to John Chapman at length a while back to see what he was doing with his product photography and he does quite well with a simple P&S camera and no elaborate lighting set up. I think the key is consistency in his lighting and simple back grounds. Jacket color can vary considerably with flash, open shade, overcast weather and bright sunlight. Really hard to portray the hides correctly.

chamboid

Great jacket i'm just about to place my A-2 order with BK, the dark seal is dark though isn't it, wow, liquorice colour. I was torn between, and went with the seal on a Roughwear 23380, which I think I'll be happier with.

Is this the more expensive hide for the Dubow, the 640?

Really have been hit buy the bug at the moment and probably being a bit silly, but hey I work hard and pay the bills, everything else you see me post on here at some point.

Post some pictures wearing it, and dont work about the size, as you said it's soft leather and will loosen up and stretch a little, it's such a smart looking jacket though just a shirt and thin jumper (sweater) under it will be the ticket come spring.

Hooray for BK and being in Europe.

B-Man2

Would you post some measurements of the 44 for those of us that are thinking about one but are unsure of a 44 vs. 46 size?

Regards

Hobbstc

Sure. The 44 measures as follows:

Pit to pit 23.5
Top of shoulders across back is 18
Top of sleeve to end of knit is 25.5
Bottom of collar down back to bottom of knit is 25
Front is 22

Hobbstc

When I was deciding the size of 1755 to order from BK the measurements sent to me were:

Dubow size 44
-----------------
pit to pit 23 1/2
shoulders 18 1/2
back 24 3/4
sleeve 25 3/4

Dubow size 46
----------------
pit to pit 24 1/2
shoulders 19
back 25
sleeve 26

ausreenactor

G'day!

I have to add my praise for the jacket and in particular the hide. Impressive indeed. I like the tag.
Nice touch. As my wife says. 'Little things mean a lot'. Super jacket! Enjoy it... Great pics too!

Surely you have a tripod and a timer? Some 'action' pics would be awesome...

Couchy

A

Anonymous

All I can say is, the new dark seal hides that BK is using are guaranteed to please.

colekwok

Eagerly awaiting mine to turn up.

The leather does look impressive. I hope it also ages well. We should start doing some long term reviews.

Ok, beside from the jackets, what sort of cameras and lenses are you lads using?

Hobbstc

I'll work on getting wearing shots tonight. And after wearing it today it's the perfect size. I haven't worn an a2 in 10 month so I forgot how it was supposed to fit.

In answer to the other question I'm just using an old Nikon D300 with Tamron 2.8 17-50 lens for those shots. It's all about light to control the mood.

WOW...that's a great looking jacket and a hellova hide. Just killer. Curious, did you say the front is 22? Is that collar down to bottom of knit?

Beautiful jacket - congrats on a great get.