• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMAZING DEADSTOCK 1971 BRILL BROS. G-1 7823D

Curahee

At first I couldn't believe my eyes when looking for my next purchase on ebay, it was submitted under collectibles>militaria>2001-present. But after looking at the label it turned out to be a deadstock 1971 Brill Bros. 7823D series G-1 in 100% original/new condition. The thing that really confused me though was the zipper, not a conmar or scovill but an IDEAL. After doing some research on the web like Yahoo auction Japan and ebay and many other websites, I discovered that there were 2 versions of the '71 contract. One with a chocolate brown leather/burgundy stich thread/scovill zipper/brown linning and version 2 with a greyish seal leather/OD stich thread/ideal zipper and olive green linning. I found 7 other 0141's 5 with an IDEAL zipper and 2 with a scovill zipper. Again I just couldn't believe that I had stumbled upon a deadstock G-1 and albeit a less desirable 1970's D series with an artificial collar, I'm really really pleased with it. Of course I checked "Full Gear" and double checked everything but I think this jacket is 100 % authentic

Anyways................

Here are some pics of the two versions

version 1

6adf0ba7e6.jpg

version 2

BrillBros19711.jpg

And finally the pics of my new-old- jacket

BB-0141005.jpg

BB-0141006.jpg

BB-0141004.jpg

BB-0141014.jpg

BB-0141013.jpg

BB-0141012.jpg

BB-0141010.jpg

The leather still has to be worn-in, the zipper makes that new raspy sound and the ends of the stich treads that were roughly cut off by the factory employee are still intact. If I didn't know better I would say the jacket is indeed not older than 10 years but it isn't it's 39 years old and in absolute new-like condition...... :D JOY

Atticus

I bought one of those jackets a few years ago for a friend. The DSA number on the spec tag was sorta blacked out and a civilain leather care tag had been added at the bottom. I notice the DSA number on yours has also been marked over. I can't remember if the zipper on mine was an Ideal or a Scovill. I think I decided the jacket was a contract overrun.

Dscn0190.jpg

Dscn0198.jpg

AF

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Atticus said:
I think I decided the jacket was a contract overrun.

That makes the most sense, though I did once read that Brill Bros. sold an anniversary reissue of their 1971 G-1 contract in the 1990's.

Kinda like an Alpha Replica, which would explain the Ideal. Google however, can't find the source of that info ... no doubt forever buried, on an early VLJ.

Curahee

AF,

Your jacket looks exactly like mine but without the extra white drycleaning label wich of the 7jackets I encountered is the first. The DSA number isn't blacked out but just a little darker, I would say olive green like the linning. All of the type "version 2" have it.

Deeb,

I hope your're wrong about that anniversary thing, on the other hand "If it looks to goodto be true, it proba......." The seller stated he got it from a USN pilot in 2001 and it had been instorage eversince. Believe me I have looked and checked everywere on the web but I could not find any evidence of an anniversary reissue, only that most of the jackets were in Japan.
And why would they do it anyway ? the current E spec is almost identical to this last 1971 Dwich was followed that same year by the E spec why not make the '68 D version with a real mouton ?....

Curahee

tcwu said:
the size 42 one's lining looks like the $110 Orchard G-1's.
Did any one know they did use Ideal zipper on earlier G-1?
I never see one before!

Interestingly enough IDEAL acquired the CONMAR/SCOVILL factory in the mid nineties (among many other companies) and they were both located in North Carolina.

Also I found out that Star Sportswear used different zippers on some contracts like on the C and D's, Talon and an unknown brand wich has a double Z logo ? Although I believe 98 % of the makers used CONMAR/SCOVILL there were indeed ohter brands used.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Curahee said:
Deeb,

I hope your're wrong about that anniversary thing, on the other hand "If it looks to goodto be true, it proba......." The seller stated he got it from a USN pilot in 2001 and it had been instorage eversince. Believe me I have looked and checked everywere on the web but I could not find any evidence of an anniversary reissue, only that most of the jackets were in Japan.

Yeah, maybe I am ... there's certainly a few of them around though, one even turned up here in NZ recently with a similar story.

Either way it's a great addition to the growing G-1 family.

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
I bought one of those jackets a few years ago for a friend. The DSA number on the spec tag was sorta blacked out and a civilain leather care tag had been added at the bottom. I notice the DSA number on yours has also been marked over. I can't remember if the zipper on mine was an Ideal or a Scovill. I think I decided the jacket was a contract overrun.

Dscn0190.jpg

Dscn0198.jpg

AF

Geoff:

I'm not sure if it was on the old VLJ years ago or some other website, but I recall seeing pics of what appeared to be contract overrun G-1s with civilian labels added. One that sticks out in my mind was a jacket sold by The Marine Shop in Quantico, VA. I don't recall the manufacturer, but in addition to the spec label this example featured a large woven store label with a multicolor EGA. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Curahee said:
AF,

Your jacket looks exactly like mine but without the extra white drycleaning label wich of the 7jackets I encountered is the first. The DSA number isn't blacked out but just a little darker, I would say olive green like the linning. All of the type "version 2" have it.

Deeb,

And why would they do it anyway ? the current E spec is almost identical to this last 1971 Dwich was followed that same year by the E spec why not make the '68 D version with a real mouton ?....

I went to a local militaria show last weekend and a friend was offering a Ralph Edwards 7823C for sale. The knits and zipper were obviously replaced, and the zip was an Ideal of the same type used on this Brill. Although I don't specifically recall seeing an original Ideal zipper on a jacket from the Vietnam era, I know that after 1968 various brands other than Conmar/Scovill are seen on issued garments (General, Serval, Rapid, etc.). Ideal certainly existed in 1971, the company having been formed in 1936. It's entirely possible that the jacket I saw would have needed a new zipper by the early '70s if worn in active service, so there's a plausible scenario under which this zipper would be a period replacement if Ideals were used on issued jackets from this era.

Finally, here's a link from the Vintage Trends website depicting a G-1 of unknown manufacture (missing label) but sporting what appears to be the same type zipper. I wish we could find out if it's an Ideal:

http://www.vintagetrends.com/military/i ... cket+G%2D1

rotagz

I got one of these same jackets about 10 years ago on ebay. And you still see them from time to time. All with the darkened DSA line that has been run over with a magic marker. Mine was unworn also. There was some story about a guy finding a bunch of them in a warehouse up north somewhere, but I forgot how it went. All I remember is the leather is not goat, but cow that has been put through the roller.

Curahee

rotagz said:
I got one of these same jackets about 10 years ago on ebay. And you still see them from time to time. All with the darkened DSA line that has been run over with a magic marker. Mine was unworn also. There was some story about a guy finding a bunch of them in a warehouse up north somewhere, but I forgot how it went. All I remember is the leather is not goat, but cow that has been put through the roller.

Mmmmm....how about these labels from 1968 another one from 1970 also a magic marker ? coincidence ? or maybe a Brill Bros peculiarity ? I found this little error on different D and E (black) labels.

Brill68.jpg

brill132.jpg

here's a close-up of the zip from yet another 0141 ("version 2")

Brill683.jpg

About the leather I think you're right on that point. But the question remains is this a recent repro from an unknown maker ?, an over-run from 1971 ? an anniversary reissue ? or maybe a pre MIL-J-7823E series made of embossed cowhide ? I think this was probably a very late 1971 D production or early E production(DSA-100-71-C-1343) wich followed right after this contract. In fact on 15 january of 1971 the E spec superseded the 19 april 1966 D spec. So my theory is that this is an "in between" spec jacket that somehow did not make it to the customer being the USN, maybe because it was not up to the D standard wich still used goatskin ? again more question marks :roll:

Also look at this 1343 E contract, looks like cowhide ?

43051.jpg

I found this on the MASH Japan website, a white drycleaning label + Talon zipper + what appears to be embossed cowhide + the blackened DSA number, and it also appears to be unused ???

mash01a.jpg
mash01b.jpg
mash01c.jpg

mash01e.jpg

I welcome any and all input on this jacket, it keeps me mystified....but I like that in a jacket

rotagz

I do believe these jackets were made for the Navy, but somewhere along the line they ended up being sold as surplus items to someone who bought the lot of them. Then it was just a question of how they were marketed. I think the marker through the DSA number was a way to demilitarize them. It has probably just faded in the last 20+ years.

Atticus

rotagz said:
I do believe these jackets were made for the Navy, but somewhere along the line they ended up being sold as surplus items to someone who bought the lot of them. Then it was just a question of how they were marketed. I think the marker through the DSA number was a way to demilitarize them. It has probably just faded in the last 20+ years.
This was my conclusion, too. But if they really were D-series jackets made for delivery to the military, they would have to be goat.

AF

Curahee

Atticus said:
rotagz said:
This was my conclusion, too. But if they really were D-series jackets made for delivery to the military, they would have to be goat.

AF

That's what drives me grazy....was it or was it not meant for USN and/or was it made in 1971 ? if it's a surplus jacket from 1971 that didn't make it, OK then I can live with that...at least it's vintage and has a some sort of pedigree.