• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AMAZING DEADSTOCK 1971 BRILL BROS. G-1 7823D

Flightengineer

My opinion has not changed.
It does not look like the fur was removed, it was probably not sewn there initially, although I could be wrong.
I think this is a surplus from DSA100-71-C-1343 contract, which for some reason was intended for the civilian market.
This is what I see as the reason for the contract number closed with a marker, the addition of a “civilian” white service tag and the possible it's the reason of lack of fur on the collar.
It seems to me that the USN would not accept G-1 jackets without fur, as this would contradict the accepted specification.
Civilian users could wear a jacket without fur.

MikeyB-17

I’ve never come across anything like that either. Seen various jackets (used to own one, an Irvin B. Foster) made for the PX, essentially the same as the issued jacket, with subtle differences (mine had a two panel back), same label and made on the same production line, but with no USN on the windflap. I suspect this may be another like that, but I’ve never seen one with no fur collar. Does that one have the USN on the windflap? If not, I bet it’s a PX jacket. Unusual to see a paperclip Talon too, they’re usually Conmars or Scovills.

Royalcrown32

My G-1 came without the mouton collar too. Someone propably replaced it with a leather collar along the way.
61BDBC7E-CCA5-40A5-A89A-D3FAE0292FCD.jpeg

MikeyB-17

Which is essentially what they are, of course, although considerably later. That one of Royalcrown’s is a California Sportswear, with the USN windflap, so issued and not a PX jacket. I would say he’s right and somebody replaced the collar, although they did a damn good job.