• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

After all these years I finally bought one.

warguy

Well done, the bug has bitten! These are such iconic pieces for anyone interested in AAF aviation and history. It is kind of like a cammo Marine helmet for those interested ground fighting in the war in Pacific theater. Nice originals can be had for good value if you watch close eneough and have patience. I have several originals in my collection, and picked up two nice original ones this past month (one right here on this forum). Both were purchased for well under the “going rate“. This tan crusher is a Bancroft Patent Pending, early war in near minty condition. The size is too small for most to wear, but the OD crusher, made by Flight Weight (another popular brand that marketed specifically to fliers) is a size 7 1/2, too large for me, but a “normal” size by todays standards. Bought that one off another forum for $150 shipped.

You probably know there was a robust recent discussion on reproduction crushers here on this forum. You can find that here.

Basically, most of the better repro crusher makers are out of the game currently. I think consensus is that the finest repro crusher currently comes from Mike at Aviation Military Headwear in England. He occasionally sells on ebay, and contact information for him I believe is listed on the thread listed above. I bought one of his for wear last year and wrote a review on another thread on this forum and I can tell you the hat is excellent quality and after replacing the cap piece with an original, it sure looks the part. I will say though I paid more for it than both the originals shown here.

Kevin

A735D65A-DE23-49A2-960F-8D1EDA6E7B89.jpeg

A747A05D-FC50-46C2-A44A-BF73DF097FB7.jpeg

Pa12

Well done, the bug has bitten! These are such iconic pieces for anyone interested in AAF aviation and history. It is kind of like a cammo Marine helmet for those interested ground fighting in the war in Pacific theater. Nice originals can be had for good value if you watch close eneough and have patience. I have several originals in my collection, and picked up two nice original ones this past month (one right here on this forum). Both were purchased for well under the “going rate“. This tan crusher is a Bancroft Patent Pending, early war in near minty condition. The size is too small for most to wear, but the OD crusher, made by Flight Weight (another popular brand that marketed specifically to fliers) is a size 7 1/2, too large for me, but a “normal” size by todays standards. Bought that one off another forum for $150 shipped.

You probably know there was a robust recent discussion on reproduction crushers here on this forum. You can find that here.

Basically, most of the better repro crusher makers are out of the game currently. I think consensus is that the finest repro crusher currently comes from Mike at Aviation Military Headwear in England. He occasionally sells on ebay, and contact information for him I believe is listed on the thread listed above. I bought one of his for wear last year and wrote a review on another thread on this forum and I can tell you the hat is excellent quality and after replacing the cap piece with an original, it sure looks the part. I will say though I paid more for it than both the originals shown here.

Kevin

View attachment 84831

View attachment 84832
Do the originals run small like the jackets? Or do they match up to modern hat size. In other words , would a 7 1/4 original be the same as a 7 1/4 in a new hat?

Pa12

For years I resisted buying a crusher hat because I wasn’t going to wear it and I just didn’t need more “stuff” sitting on desks and tables on display. But recently after seeing some of you guys acquiring some pretty nice repros and originals I started looking at them and … well .. I found two of them . The first one arrived today. An original unmarked crusher. Feel free to comment on it pros and cons .
When the second one arrives I’ll post that as well . Thanks for looking . View attachment 84817View attachment 84818View attachment 84819View attachment 84820View attachment 84821
All you need now is a pair of AN6531 sunglasses

warguy

That’s another nice cap B-man. Enjoy while reading “On a wing and a Prayer” for the fourth time! Thanks for sharing. I suspect the prices of these original crushers might go up after the release of Masters of the Air. We shall see….We certainly saw interest in Marine Corps collectibles after the release of the Pacific, and of course Airborne related stuff especially 101st related items are still astronomical due in large part I think to the continued popularity of Band of Brothers.

B-Man2

That’s another nice cap B-man. Enjoy while reading “On a wing and a Prayer” for the fourth time! Thanks for sharing. I suspect the prices of these original crushers might go up after the release of Masters of the Air. We shall see….We certainly saw interest in Marine Corps collectibles after the release of the Pacific, and of course Airborne related stuff especially 101st related items are still astronomical due in large part I think to the continued popularity of Band of Brothers.
I agree with you . The prices of the originals continue to go up. The good repros are getting difficult to find as there are so few repro makers around these days. I don’t mind sharing with all of you that the total price I paid for both originals was less than the cost of the DD repro pictured in this thread .

B-Man2

Congrats !
well done Burt.
Would be interested to know the all in all costs for a repro imported into the US.
Thanks in advance
Bryce
I’m sorry but I don’t know the answer to your question as both of the hats I purchased were from collectors here in the US . I just don’t have any idea what a repro purchased outside of the US would cost to import into the U.S. sorry .
Regards Burt

Pa12

Aviator military headwear is 250 pounds shipped. I suspect it’s worth every penny. My problem is that our dollar is in the toilet so that converts to around 400 Canadian, and I just can’t swing that.

Pilot

Bryce
I’m sorry but I don’t know the answer to your question as both of the hats I purchased were from collectors here in the US . I just don’t have any idea what a repro purchased outside of the US would cost to import into the U.S. sorry .
Regards Burt
OK, perfect and great score! congrats.

JonnyCrow

Nice! There's a original here for sale in one of our Spanish militaria dealers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221023-102533.png
    Screenshot_20221023-102533.png
    406.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20221023-102510.png
    Screenshot_20221023-102510.png
    603.9 KB · Views: 75

ausreenactor

Any idea what a decent repro goes for? EBay seems to be just made in China examples which I suspect would be disappointing.
Most are rubbish. Sit to high. Lancaster did a decent run. Society Brand and American Patrol are great. Availability can be sporadic.

ausreenactor

Aviator military headwear is 250 pounds shipped. I suspect it’s worth every penny. My problem is that our dollar is in the toilet so that converts to around 400 Canadian, and I just can’t swing that.
Originsl garrison cap! Just as awesome!