• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero's apparent fall from grace

Tim P

when I first came on this forum (in its predecessor form a few years ago) Aero leather enjoyed an almost unbridled enthusiasm. especially I have to say, in the U.S.
Now I like the look of Aeros on other people, or laying flat on the floor for scrutiny and some of their custom options seem phenominal but whenever I have worn one I am annoyed by keep seeing the eppaulettes 'bridging' from the corner of my eye. That is my personal take and I am aware from original phots that it was a feature on some jackets.
they have however never been my personal favourites which is what made the enthusaiasm for them here notable to me.

Now, I was just wondering what it was that marked Aero's apparent fall from grace.. some people are actually derogatory about them.
Now I dont want to turn this into a GW pissing party because here, as everywhere, everyone brings something to the party but I would be interested to hear why the shift.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Tim P said:
Now, I was just wondering what it was that marked Aero's apparent fall from grace.. some people are actually derogatory about them.
Now I dont want to turn this into a GW pissing party because here, as everywhere, everyone brings something to the party but I would be interested to hear why the shift.

And yet, they remain so popular on the Fedora Lounge.

Perhaps Aero are not focussing so much on the military reproductions. USA no longer takes A-2 orders, and the lists of modifications were getting longer, and longer.

The other makers continue to evolve, with improvements, and new product. Maybe Aero are being left behind, and maybe they are happy with that, and prefer to concentrate more on the civilian, and moto jackets.

And it's okay to have a different Aero opinion now. Whenever a maker is 'flavour of the month' it's safer to remain silent, rather than criticise, and suffer the wrath of the forum.

tis true they are still the talk at the fedora lounge. as a matter of fact, it is because of them that I just purchased a brown lhb in fqhh. so maybe in the A-2 world they are trailing but not with their other styles.

Curahee

And it's okay to have a different Aero opinion now. Whenever a maker is 'flavour of the month' it's safer to remain silent, rather than criticise, and suffer the wrath of the forum.

Maybe true for some but you have to be completely spineless (somewhat like a politician) to
maintain that :roll:

John Lever

Aero do very well from their civi jackets and have huge markets in non English speaking Europe.
Check out their range, it's huge. They even do a B7 parka and a sheepskin Kanal jacket.
They are always very, very busy.
I think any drop in popularity here is a function of the dollar value at the moment.

havocpaul

There may have been a shift away from the military range when Ken retired and Mark in the USA stopped handling A-2's etc. They are certainly popular in other fields (including the football one sponsoring Queen of the South who reached the Scottish FA Cup final this year!) and have new product frequently. Of course in the current climate of knocking everything but GW in the repro market by some on this forum it would be hard to find anyone shouting their praises too loudly here!

Tim P

I must say that their civi range is breathtaking and their willingness to customise is a credit to them. Bespoke gear at reasonable prices. their a-2s were raved over here though and I am not wrong in thinking that it has gone quiet here on that front am i ?

CBI

Aero makes great jackets - even the A-2. Don't worry about the few "experts" highjacking the site with their anti-Aero opinions.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Curahee said:

Maybe true for some but you have to be completely spineless (somewhat like a politician) to
maintain that :roll:

But just yesterday, Curahee, you were suggesting that we only point out the positives. :)

And maybe it's just me .... but I find that Rolling Eyes smiley to be really offensive.

Curahee said:
Why not leave it at that ? I think all this bickering about whose jackets are better is getting old and isn't much help to John either.
Instead of pointing out only the negatives of a jacket, why not
point out the positves ? yeah yeah...but it still looks like crap..that kind of mentality kills all the fun of this forum.

The forum seems to be devided into "camps" these days one pro GW and the other with different preferences. Come on !
I know everybody has the right to have his opinion and all but butsometimes :roll:

A

Anonymous

CBI said:
Aero makes great jackets - even the A-2. Don't worry about the few "experts" highjacking the site with their anti-Aero opinions.

I never claimed to be an expert but I do know my A-2 details and I can tell you Aero gets many of them wrong! Why is my criticism "hijacking"- are you guys a bunch of weenies who get all soft and dribbly when there's an honest argument against your opinion? Aero makes their epps too long on a stock jacket; body too short; their cuffs aren't right and they miss many other detaiils which original Aero A-2s possessed. I can back all this up- why should I say "Aeros are great" if I don't think it's true?

Vcruiser

rotenhahn said:
CBI said:

I never claimed to be an expert but I do know my A-2 details and I can tell you Aero gets many of them wrong! Why is my criticism "hijacking"- are you guys a bunch of weenies who get all soft and dribbly when there's an honest argument against your opinion? Aero makes their epps too long on a stock jacket; body too short; their cuffs aren't right and they miss many other detaiils which original Aero A-2s possessed. I can back all this up- why should I say "Aeros are great" if I don't think it's true?

Who asked you to make an "Aeros are great" comment?
Why not just add an insisting auto sig that states.."You are simply all fools unless you only purchase Goodwear...the most realistic WW2 replica A2". Would save explaining and re-explaining but have the same meaning. You could hit the "Reply" and quickly leave your message in every Repro thread or even right after all other silly repro brand consideration posts!!!!! ;)
VB

A

Anonymous

I like Aero, have a seal brown jerky. The fit is good, I do agree however the epps are to narrow, and the cross stitching box pattern at the shoulder seam is to small.

Robman

I enjoy my Aeros and they fit me well. Maybe the way I'm shaped I don't know. I don't have the epaulet issues and the lengths are good on me.

jacketimp

we are many but there is only one close to jacket perfection ALPHA REPLICATE......call me by my true name...........