• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

aero scotland VS GW

Stef

Hi all,

I'm quite new here, and neved posted before, just reading and learning a lot from you...thanks for that.

I Read many very positive opinions about GW jackets here, and realised myself when seeing all the pics here and on GW site that they were probably the best repros... but i like many patterns and contracts and get crazy when trying to pick up just one, so in the first time i thought it was better for me to spend my money in several jackets rather than for one high range GW.
But Cobblers came with a fair price for a GW RW 1401 that i bought and i'm reeeeeally pleased with it, it is amazing !!

Before that, i ordered an Aero (scotland) 15142 in Seal with berry knits, that did not arrive yet, and i now wonder if i'll be pleased with it, or just disapointed when comparing with GW. (have to keep an eye on the big price difference to compare , off course)

Does anyone knows a previous thread dealing with Aero scotland, with pics and review, especially 15142 pattern ?
What's your opinion about their aero 15142 repro, and how would you rate it, compare to GW and ELC ?
I heard the pattern is quite modern, but the hide really rough, grainy , and age well. Also thinks seal is a bit too dark, and russet a bit to reddish...

(ELC : i received a monarch that i returned, i did not like the hide, strange grain, too much grain everywhere, not natural..IMO...among other little details..and big price that leads to GW instead)

thanks guys

Roughwear

Welcome Stef. I think your post summarises the situation well. Aero make some of the best civi jackets around. Their A2s are not as accurate as Good Wears. John Chapman has nailed every contract he reproduces. Aero A2s are cheaper and the hides vary considerably. There are many, many threads about Aero jackets on the Fedora Lounge and good reviews.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com.

ButteMT61

I don't have a GW yet. I have a few Aeros, including one A-2 Bronco in capeskin. It's beautiful, and well made - like all my Aero's are. Also consider a GW is going to run you almost $400 more than the Aero.
I think Andrew might be right about the variations in hides with Aero. But again, I can only comment on GW as far as what I've read and pics online.
If the jacket is meant to be a true-as-possible repro, go GW. If you like the look of an A-2, and want an excellent but less expensive model, try Aero. Good luck.

dadgad

GWs are philological jackets, Aeros are interpretative.
With a £400 GBP in between.

I have been fond of an Eastman RW 27752 lately for ex...

Staying on topic, used GW or new Aero could be a good point if you are not yet a fanatic.

Dr H

dadgad said:
Staying on topic, used GW or new Aero could be a good point if you are not yet a fanatic.

Very well observed...once you get the GW you'll become a fanatic :cool:

wheat1479

I have had Aero's seal goatskin,their russet goatskin and the fqhh in brown.Also I have a smooth russet hh.They make the best utility jackets.But their skins are not as true as John Chapmans,especially when doing an a-2 jacket.Aero's russet goatskin is kind of a reddish orange and the smooth russet hh is not really russet.More like a light brown.John Chapman's goatskin and horsehide is impecible.The colors are true to originals and his attention to detail is remarkable.Some of the guys on here are sticklers for that certain look and feel.Thats why they buy from John.

bseal

Aero did most of the A-2s for the upcoming George Lucas produced period film...

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bseal said:

Correct, and not to be outdone, Eastman Leather supplied the lead character for Steven Spielberg's current epic adventure.

RCSignals

I briefly owned one Aero A-2. It was one of their older ones, can't remember the contract number it was supposed to represent, but to me it didn't look the same. The Horse Hide was very smooth, too smooth, like shoe leather smooth. The russet was more of a medium brown. The lining was very thin and red.

I understand though that they have since made a more accurate pattern based on originals, and use a more accurate grainy leather. Hides are going to vary whoever you buy from as they are a natural product. I haven't personally seen one of these newer jacket versions.

Vcruiser

My A2 Aero Scotland...

100_0428.jpg

ties70

deeb7 said:
bseal said:

Correct, and not to be outdone, Eastman Leather supplied the lead character for Steven Spielberg's current epic adventure.

Tintin?!

Ties

MikeyB-17

That is a nice one. Aero have, IMHO, never really had their heart in military repros. I think they prefer to stick with their bike and work jackets (which are superb) and I reckon the military stuff was more Ken Calder's thing than the rest of the company. I remember when Ken was still in charge they were bringing out new military repros on a regular basis-I don't recall them bringing out any since he retired. Even when he was around they had a bit of a funny atitude to them-'we don't reproduce faults'. Therefore if they considered it a design fault they wouldn't do it, whether the originals had it or not-e.g. the triangle stitching in the waist knit-they said it tore the knit and so they didn't put it on their repros. Likewise the side seams, which faced forwards on originals, but Aero did them facing backwards 'so they wouldn't catch on things'-or the double weave knits, Aero said single weave were better so they didn't use double weave as per originals. It always seemed to me that near enough was good enough as far as Aero were concerned-I clearly remember somebody from Aero using the word 'nitpicking' when somebody criticised their accuracy on one of the forums. Don't get me wrong, they are beautifully made jackets, I've owned several, but stitch for stitch accuracy was never Aero's thing. Depends if such things are of importance to you-to many, they aren't-but if they are, you'll be far happier with a Goodwear.