• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero Irvin

flyboy

I've tried to search for threads which talk about the Irvins from Aero - but with no luck so far.
I also know that the Aero Irvin - in some peoples minds - doesn't rank as high as the ELC.
Anyway - here's a picture of my Aero Irvin - taken a year ago - just out of the box.
They have done a lot of nice small changes - the sleeves much closer to originals now.
Looking forward to hear what you think about it.
(I have posted this on FL - and a lot of you guys have seen it before - but maybe some of my "new friends" would like to comment too)

AEROIRVIN014.jpg

And why not a ELC you might ask? Simply because ELC only make'em up to 48" and I need something between 50" and 52".

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
That looks great ... and a picture that loads quickly, we don't get many of those here. :)

There must be some Aero Irvin posts somewhere on VLJ. John Lever tells us about them, he showed Aero how to fix the sleeve.

Falcon_52

It's nice to see you over here on VLJ, Soren. That Aero Irvin looks very nice (and warm too). How is it wearing after a year? Is the fleece still pretty "straight" or has it started to curl at all?

Noel

flyboy

The last picture - with the flying helmet - was made only 3 months ago.
It gives a fairly good picture of the fleece, as it is now.
Not as curly as Johns great jacket - but almost.

By the way - I've just mailed Amanda at Aero and asked her, if they plan to do any more jackets like the one. they made for John.
I think it comes very close to both the originals - and to ELC.

Roughwear

Here are a couple of more recent pics of Soren sporting his Aero at the Duxford Spring Air show.
023-27.jpg

026-25.jpg
[/QUOTE]

philip.ed

It's a nice jacket. The fleece does look quite thick though. Is that historically accurate, or more of a preference?

Roughwear

philip.ed said:
It's a nice jacket. The fleece does look quite thick though. Is that historically accurate, or more of a preference?

The collar is especially thick and thicker than all the wartime and pre-War jackets I have seen.

flyboy

philip.ed said:

Well - I did not ask for it, if that's what you mean. It just came like that.
I think they really want to give you the best, richest and thickest fleece - instead of the cheap stuff they used during WWII - and by doing so, they get futher away from the originals.
But what do I know of quality and prices on sheep skin. ;)

But I do hope it will be "flattened" with use - and age.

philip.ed

It should do. It certainly looks like a beautiful jacket. I'm very envious ;)

Edit-the more I look at it, the nicer it looks. What makes an ELC one better?

Roughwear

philip.ed said:

It depends how you define "better". ;) ELC Irvins are more accurate repros of originals than Aeros on the whole. The devil is in the detail! John Lever had his custom Aero Irvin and that's great.

philip.ed

I see what you mean. Personally, a repro Irvin has yet to make me think it could be an original (well, apart from the latest Eastman 1944 pattern).
The leather used seems too thick when paired with the fleece IMO. The recent Eastman B-6, i think, looks much better IMO as far as leather goes :cool:

John Lever

Roughwear said:
philip.ed said:

It depends how you define "better". ;) ELC Irvins are more accurate repros of originals than Aeros on the whole. The devil is in the detail! John Lever had his custom Aero Irvin and that's great.
I still think that Eastman's have that ' something '.
My jacket, Sorens and I think Cliff's Aero all suffer from a less than satisfactory shoulder construction. The arm/shoulder puffs out to form a kind of box away from the body like shoulder pads. Eastman's don't have that problem. The arms are also somehow rotated so that they do not lie flat when the jacket is on a table. The Eastman panels have curves so that they fit the body better. Having said that, the Aero is a nice jacket, but the Eastman is just too good.
Just my opinions.

flyboy

John Lever said:
Roughwear said:
philip.ed said:

My jacket, Sorens and I think Cliff's Aero all suffer from a less than satisfactory shoulder construction. The arm/shoulder puffs out to form a kind of box away from the body like shoulder pads. Eastman's don't have that problem. The arms are also somehow rotated so that they do not lie flat when the jacket is on a table. The Eastman panels have curves so that they fit the body better. Having said that, the Aero is a nice jacket, but the Eastman is just too good.
Just my opinions.

You are right about "the shoulderbox" - just take a look at the pics with Paddy and Andrew at DX.
I actually thought of ordering the (next) jacket in a size small than I use, and hopefully it would do the trick.
My jacket is deffinately roomy.

Cliff

John Lever said:
Roughwear said:
philip.ed said:

Just my opinions.

Yes John is right there is just a little something not quite right around the shoulder area and sleeve shape/taper on my Aero I have never been completely happy with. I cannot fault the materials or the construction of my Aero, it really is superbly made, its just a slight difference in the "look" to originals and ELCs that just nags away at me. Its academic now as I don't wear it any more due to me favouring my 20yr old ELC I got from John and my "1942" ELC I bought from Gary about 5 years ago. oh and then of course there is the ANJ4, the B3 and .................. so many jackets so little time !!!! :D

HHjackets

I've had a few Eastman jackets and a few Aero ones.
Eastman's definitely look better, fit better and i prefer their fleece and they smell quality as well.
on the issue of shoulder puffing, funnily enough, Aero's utility jackets have a taper in the sleeve but the sleeve on their military jackets, Irvin, A-2 ... are cut like a tube, straight and no shape.