• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero 21996 - Not G.I.?

Peter Graham

Andrew, I think you've just destroyed the jacket expert status that you've tried so hard to create over the years. Oops ! :lol:

Roughwear

DiamondDave said:
Roughwear said:
This is a great example of what is my favourite Aero contract. It is in remarkable condition for a 1941 A2, with a significant amount of the seal top coat present. It is known that steer was used in this contract and this jacket may well be one of these. The Not G-1 stamp was done after 1947 when the G-1 designation was in common usage and perhaps in a US naval depot early in the Korean War where jackets were being selected for refurbishment/re-issue.

LMFAO! "NOT G-1".... Our government has been known to do some stupid things, but to say what something is NOT, has never been one of them.

G.I. has only ever had one meaning in our military. Sorry to disappoint, and NO this is not speculation. My Grandfather was a Quartermaster Corps, and I know this for a fact.

I'm not disappointed at all Dave, only sorry to have caused unnecessary debate. I initially misread the stamp as "G.1" on my iPhone when browsing the forum. Thanks for the additional information about this QM stamp.

ausreenactor

Roughwear said:
DiamondDave said:
Roughwear said:
This is a great example of what is my favourite Aero contract. It is in remarkable condition for a 1941 A2, with a significant amount of the seal top coat present. It is known that steer was used in this contract and this jacket may well be one of these. The Not G-1 stamp was done after 1947 when the G-1 designation was in common usage and perhaps in a US naval depot early in the Korean War where jackets were being selected for refurbishment/re-issue.

LMFAO! "NOT G-1".... Our government has been known to do some stupid things, but to say what something is NOT, has never been one of them.

G.I. has only ever had one meaning in our military. Sorry to disappoint, and NO this is not speculation. My Grandfather was a Quartermaster Corps, and I know this for a fact.

I initially misread the stamp as "G.1" on my iPhone when browsing the forum.

I want a GiPhone! :cool:

unclegrumpy

Peter Graham said:
Andrew, I think you've just destroyed the jacket expert status that you've tried so hard to create over the years. Oops ! :lol:

Peter, I know you are just giving our Zen master a hard time, but I don't think this diminishes his status one bit....though it might be time for thicker glasses or better computer monitor. :lol:

This stamp is really just a hand applied marking that was used for accounting purposes. I don't think this particular exact stamp was something that was universally used either, otherwise we would see it on more things.

I also think that it would be hard to reason out if one is not familiar with how the different services accounted for things....or didn't. Rules for issuing or wearing items come into play too....especially obsolete clothing items like A-2s....which were allowed to worn long after they stopped issuing them. Being able to pass inspections is another factor, and is another thing that could be different and changing based on the time period and branch of service.

One thing I think is interesting with this jacket, is I did not notice a name in it. Usually, if I guy bought something, he put his name in it....often multiple times.

a2jacketpatches

Try the Nokia Lumina 1520, I just 86'd my Iphone for one. A 6" screen so I can finally see, and a sausage finger friendly keyboard. The camera is outstanding, and it's windows based so more like a home computer.