• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aero 21996 - Not G.I.?

DG567

Just received an original 21996 in a roomy 42 - can't believe it fits! I was surprised to see it stamped on the liner with "Not G.I." 3 times. An extra that was sold as surplus? Jacket is in very good condition. The lining and knits are almost perfect, very minor nips on the knits. Zipper and labels are also excellent.

Now on to the photos:

photo2-8_zps6cadf0b3.jpg

photo3-7_zps5f082540.jpg

photo1-10_zpse2b28146.jpg

photo4-5_zps3dc37f52.jpg

photo5-3_zps43a93d24.jpg

foster

I can only speculate the stamp was done when it was no longer considered "Government Issue" presumably when the A2 was stricken from the QM catalog / stores.

chamboid

Very very nice, what good condition, especially for the knits. Looks like it might be Steer hide front the grainingnon the front, what's weight and feel of the leather like?

DG567

Here is a close up of the knits and grain:

photo1-7_zps4ba2a9a6.jpg

photo2-7_zpsdf41676f.jpg

Only issue is a few loose threads on the pocket body, an easy fix though. Its in such great shape and along with the not GI stamps has me wondering if it were never issued.

Roughwear

This is a great example of what is my favourite Aero contract. It is in remarkable condition for a 1941 A2, with a significant amount of the seal top coat present. It is known that steer was used in this contract and this jacket may well be one of these. The Not G-1 stamp was done after 1947 when the G-1 designation was in common usage and perhaps in a US naval depot early in the Korean War where jackets were being selected for refurbishment/re-issue.

Roughwear

Really? This was a contract Aero jacket and the civi ones had a different label. I have owned one with an Aero civi label. Why would they stamp a new mail order jacket with "Not G-1"? As an issued jacket this one, like many others, most likely found its way to a government depot where it was re-issued post War. It is possible that the depot was re-issuing naval jackets and this one was discovered not to be a G-1 and hence the stamp.

unclegrumpy

foster said:
I can only speculate the stamp was done when it was no longer considered "Government Issue" presumably when the A2 was stricken from the QM catalog / stores.
You are on the right track.

This marking was used to clearly identify items in a mans kit that were purchased and owned by him rather than issued to him. I have only seen it used in the years directly after WW II through Korea.

My suspicion is that it probably emanated from the Clothing Sales Stores that were on base that had Government issue items available for sale, but it also might have simply been a marking stamped on things to help identify the ownership of nonissue uniform items for inspection purposes.

SuinBruin

Roughwear said:
Really? This was a contract Aero jacket and the civi ones had a different label. I have owned one with an Aero civi label. Why would they stamp a new mail order jacket with "Not G-1"? As an issued jacket this one, like many others, most likely found its way to a government depot where it was re-issued post War. It is possible that the depot was re-issuing naval jackets and this one was discovered not to be a G-1 and hence the stamp.
It doesn't say "Not G-1," it says "Not G.I." Plus there is no need to stamp it "Not G-1" since the jackets look nothing like G-1s and have labels indicating that they are A-2s and were made for the Army Air Forces, not the Navy. I seriously doubt any naval supply personnel would need a stamp of any sort to tell them that an A-2 was not a piece of U.S. Navy equipment.

We know Aero sold jackets in the civilian market. No doubt some of them had civilian labels. But if Aero had surplus A-2s with government labels that it wanted to sell to civilians, stamping them "Not G.I." would be one way they might do it.

Roughwear

SuinBruin said:
Roughwear said:
It doesn't say "Not G-1," it says "Not G.I." Plus there is no need to stamp it "Not G-1" since the jackets look nothing like G-1s and have labels indicating that they are A-2s and were made for the Army Air Forces, not the Navy. I seriously doubt any naval supply personnel would need a stamp of any sort to tell them that an A-2 was not a piece of U.S. Navy equipment.

We know Aero sold jackets in the civilian market. No doubt some of them had civilian labels. But if Aero had surplus A-2s with government labels that it wanted to sell to civilians, stamping them "Not G.I." would be one way they might do it.

Your views on the reason for the stamp are pure speculation as are mine. We are unlikely to know the truth. "Not G.I" may or may not refer to naval G-1 jackets. It could stand for "Not Government Issue".There is no evidence that this jacket was sold on the civilian market. In fact they would almost certainly have removed the issued contract label first.

Silver Surfer

never the less, one kickass original aero, in top of the line condition. i would guess that as mentioned, it was stamped "not g.i" soon after wwll by a qm.

jack31916

Just a thought / long shot: could it be Not General Issue stamped by the quartermaster to make sure these jackets were reserved for aircrews....

In the 1943 (Army) Quartermaster Supply Catalog you will find frequently "issue reserved for..." mentioned in the description of a particular item.

Stunning jacket anyway !

a2jacketpatches

Reading through this, didn't unclegrumpy already solve the mystery? This jacket was purchased by the individual and not issued, when issued it's supposed to be returned even though that's not always the case. Makes sense to me as we were able to purchase our own equipment if desired right from supply.

ausreenactor

a2jacketpatches said:
Reading through this, didn't unclegrumpy already solve the mystery? This jacket was purchased by the individual and not issued, when issued it's supposed to be returned even though that's not always the case. Makes sense to me as we were able to purchase our own equipment if desired right from supply.

And possibly why it was kept in such condition. I know I look after the boots I pay for more than the issued items. Belleville and Miendls get the star treatment. And the 'liberated' Aussie flight jacket I have has never been out of the packaging.

Couchy

DiamondDave

Roughwear said:
This is a great example of what is my favourite Aero contract. It is in remarkable condition for a 1941 A2, with a significant amount of the seal top coat present. It is known that steer was used in this contract and this jacket may well be one of these. The Not G-1 stamp was done after 1947 when the G-1 designation was in common usage and perhaps in a US naval depot early in the Korean War where jackets were being selected for refurbishment/re-issue.

LMFAO! "NOT G-1".... Our government has been known to do some stupid things, but to say what something is NOT, has never been one of them.

G.I. has only ever had one meaning in our military. Sorry to disappoint, and NO this is not speculation. My Grandfather was a Quartermaster Corps, and I know this for a fact.