• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed on flight jackets.

Drzdave58

My son came to me and told me he wants to get a flight jacket but needs advice. He has admired my HH A2 or sometime. He told me he wants a leather A2 but I have concerns. Now he has been a pilot for sometime and is currently a CFI at a big flight school. I think a leather A2 would be fine for his main job but just recently he acquired a contract job with a local police department flying for them on an occasional basis. Now they issued him a one piece flight suit that he has to wear but he needs a flight jacket to go with it. I'm not sure if a leather A2 is the best choice or not for that. I'm wondering what u guys think and if maybe a textile would be better suited. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

Chandler

Man -- this is all a matter of preference (particularly to the wearer). Personally, I think an A-2 looks great over a flight suit, but you may have to fit it right to not be too snug.

Also, does the PD have any uniform regulations? Your son might have to abide by them.

Drzdave58

Man -- this is all a matter of preference (particularly to the wearer). Personally, I think an A-2 looks great over a flight suit, but you may have to fit it right to not be too snug.

Also, does the PD have any uniform regulations? Your son might have to abide by them.
Good point on the regs. I will ask him. I know the fit can be tricky for sure. I have 2 A2’s so I think I may lend him one and let him try it out for awhile and see if he likes it. Thx

Drzdave58

G-1, for the extra movement in the shoulder!
He already has a G1 that I gave him a year ago, he hasn’t worn it cause he doesn’t like the fur collar. He says he wants a regular collar but I’m hoping someday he will change his mind about the G 1.

Drzdave58

I love my B-15 Eastman, warm and toasty, but the price now! You need another mortgage!
I like the ELC B15 too. Hes not fussy on fur collars but maybe I can convince him.
he can afford to buy a couple of jackets.

Last edited:

Chandler

And the collar is nice and warm on cooler days
You know, I've never really found the G-1 any warmer than an A-2 -- even with the mouton.

I used to drive my roadster to work on early fall mornings and would switch off between my 2 jackets and never had a preference.

Smithy

If it was me, I'd get him to check regulations. Might be different in the States but here and where I'm from there's very specific regulations regarding uniform and kit for the military, police and security services.

No point in buying something if he gets a dressing down for using it.

mulceber

If it was me, I'd get him to check regulations. Might be different in the States but here and where I'm from there's very specific regulations regarding uniform and kit for the military, police and security services.

No point in buying something if he gets a dressing down for using it.
Certainly worth looking into. From the OP's description of the situation though it sounds like he's only loosely affiliated with the police, so I tend to think he can wear what he wants, so long as he looks professional.

Drzdave58

Certainly worth looking into. From the OP's description of the situation though it sounds like he's only loosely affiliated with the police, so I tend to think he can wear what he wants, so long as he looks professional.
Yes...im pretty sure he can wear what he wants.

Smithy

We have super strict regs here for what you can and can't wear (I've gotten in trouble before) so that was why I thought it worth mentioning checking with the head honchos before doing anything ;)

mulceber

Yeah, it's definitely worth double-checking before you/he go(es) out and spends several hundred dollars on an A-2.

B-Man2

Agreed …when flying for a Police Dept many pilots are required to wear Nomex Fire Retardant Flight suits and jackets. Has to do with pilot safety and legal liability requirements enforced by the municipality of the department he’s working for .

Drzdave58

Yeah, it's definitely worth double-checking before you/he go(es) out and spends several hundred dollars on an A-2.
I definately want to see him get a nice quality A2 for casual use or for his regular job. He’s been wearing mall jackets too long and needs to make the jump to higher quality clothing. I want to help him thru that process.