• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice about stretching an eastman 42 patt (now inc pix pg2)

FtrPlt

Re: Advice about stretching an eastman 42 patt (now inc pix

Gents,
The body length of the Irvins had nothing to do with high-waisted trousers. The back length was such to allow the wearer to sit in the cockpit and not have the jacket pushed upwards by the jackets waist. A longer body would, when sitting, create the effect of lowering the wearers head down into the body of jacket; pushing the armpits upwards impeding arm movement, etc.

Those with longish jackets will recognize the above effects when trying to wear one while driving your car.

While battledress was designed for wear with high-waisted trousers, the Irvin jacket was not.

rich

FtrPlt said:
Gents,
The body length of the Irvins had nothing to do with high-waisted trousers. The back length was such to allow the wearer to sit in the cockpit and not have the jacket pushed upwards by the jackets waist. A longer body would, when sitting, create the effect of lowering the wearers head down into the body of jacket; pushing the armpits upwards impeding arm movement, etc.

Those with longish jackets will recognize the above effects when trying to wear one while driving your car.

While battledress was designed for wear with high-waisted trousers, the Irvin jacket was not.

i1.jpg

i2.jpg

i3.jpg

Roughwear

FtrPlt said:
Gents,

I do have a problem with this as the Irvin was designed for high waisted flying trousers. The jacket was of course part of a sheepskin suit and the flying trousers were high waisted so the jacket covered them providing a thermal seal, with the belt done up. This is clear from the advertising pictures posted by Rich. It is worth remembering that the majority of Irvins were worn by aircrew in bombers, (not simply pilots and co pilots) so the point made about back length would not necessarily have been relevant. It is an interesting point though but we don't know whether it was a factor when Leslie Irvin invented the flying suit.

Grant

I've always thought ELC cut their Irvin's a little on the short side. All of my original Irvin's that fit like a standard sz. 42 measure 25" from the base of the collar seam to the bottom of the shearling. Just MHO.

rich

Grant said:
I've always thought ELC cut their Irvin's a little on the short side. All of my original Irvin's that fit like a standard sz. 42 measure 25" from the base of the collar seam to the bottom of the shearling. Just MHO.

Yes, have to agree, for me I'd like them to add about an inch to the body and take the same off the sleeves.

FtrPlt

I think what folks forget is that the Irvin jacket/trousers were designed in the 1930s -- a point at which nearly all RAF aircraft were unheated and featured open cockpits. The design considerations were therefore aimed at protecting the aviator of the day -- one or two guys sitting in open cockpit biplanes. The multi-crew bombers were still well into the future.

So, your sitting aircrew required protection from the cold. Short length jackets to afford movement. The short jacket length required an accompanying higher-waisted trousers to protect the lower back area when sitting -- hence the design of the trousers.

The longish arm lengths are also the result of the basic flying position -- sitting with arms bent approx 90-degrees to manipulate the stick and throttle. With arms bent, the length is generally very close to where it needs to be on the average person. To have 'normal length' sleeves would result in sleeves that were too short when the arms were bent.

I have notes of the design specs of the woolen aircrew frock introduced around the same time. It was made long in the body to allow it to ride under the buttocks while sitting in an aircraft -- again, specifically to keep the lower back warm and to not bunch up around the waist, thereby restricting movement.

rich

John Lever said:
Simon Cowell is a big Irvin fan

I recently saw a bit of a docu about P. McCartney, they showed an old home movie and in that he appeared to be wearing an Irvin. (Uncertain as to the height of his trouser waistband though ;) )

Cliff

rich said:
John Lever said:
Simon Cowell is a big Irvin fan

I recently saw a bit of a docu about P. McCartney, they showed an old home movie and in that he appeared to be wearing an Irvin. (Uncertain as to the height of his trouser waistband though ;) )

Yes I saw the programme too.
He was wearing it on his first solo album cover in 1970ish

Paul_and_Mary_McCartney_album_cover.jpg

rich

Thanks Cliff - glad I wasn't seeing things! Looks like it might be an original?

tater

Course a seated pilot would have the actual seat several inches below his butt since he'd be sitting on a parachute. This would allow a longer jacket to still not ever touch the actual seat.