• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice about stretching an eastman 42 patt (now inc pix pg2)

xt40

Hi, I have an Eastman 42 pattern standard size 44 which i have owned from new since about 1998. I absolutely love it and wear it all the time but have always felt it was about 1-2 inches too short in the body, especially at the back.
For comparison , ive an aero b3 size 42 which is at least 3 inches longer (now).
I rarely wore the aero since i bought it about 10 years ago as it was too big. The sleeves were ok but the chest/waist was too big and it was a little long.
A while back in a fit of boredom, i threw the b3 (and seperately, a g-1 which was also too big)into the shower and then blasted it for an hour in the tumble dryer on hot(trying it on every 10 minutes along the way) .
Hey presto, it (and the g-1) now fits perfectly and the hide also looks more crinkled, ie better.
Im now thinking of trying something similar with the eastman.
I was thinking that i could soak the body (the very long sleeves are perfect) and then let it dry slowly (no dryer), pulling and stretching it as it dried. I think there should be some stretch available in the sheepskin but am not so sure about the cowhide tapes or if the riri zip might cause a problem. any opinions would be appreciated.
thanks

John Lever

Re: Advice about stretching an eastman 42 pattern irvin

I would not do it. The skin can tear very easily.
Sell it and buy a custom fit.

xt40

thanks,
im not sure what ill do but i definitely could not sell it.
I was just looking on ebay and saw a size 40 advertised with a measurement of 27 inches from neck to hem. i checked mine and it is only 24. Do you think mine sounds standard or did they send me out an extra short one.

rich

John Lever said:
I would not do it. The skin can tear very easily.
Sell it and buy a custom fit.

John has given me very good advice with this kind of thing, personally I'd follow his suggestion.
Irvins were short in the body as originally they were meant to be worn with the high waisted trousers. Unfortunately, to be authentic,
the high-end repro makers follow this pattern, ie long in the sleeve and short bodied. Do you know who made the jacket with the
27" back?
On a new jacket, Eastman will add an inch or two for you, but will not accept it's return if you're unhappy. Aero will make it any way you like, but then you might have a bit of a wait because it's a unique custom order.
I have two ELC Irvins, size 44" and they're both 24" down the back, I'd say it's their standard cut.
Good luck sorting it out - post some pics of your jackets!

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.

xt40 said:
i saw the the 27inch length on this eastman.

Perhaps the seller has included the collar.

27" back of neck to hem.

havocpaul

When I read the ebay listing I assumed it was measured including the collar as 24" seems the 'norm'. On no account try and stretch it, it won't work and will potentially ruin the jacket, I agree with John's advice.

John Lever

Or buy a B-3, they are more hip length. I may have a RMNZ for sale.....

rich

John Lever said:
Or buy a B-3, they are more hip length. I may have a RMNZ for sale.....

I saw a 46" RMNZ B-3 on ebay a week or two ago from a UK seller - very nice it was too, but the auction was pulled...... :? The same
guy also sold an ELC Irvin, from his listings he seemed to know all about repros.

John Lever

The back length of ELC RAF jackets seems to be a major issue with many wearers. I actually like the shorter jacket style.

xt40

I think eastman should provide more detailed dimensions and also some pictures of their jackets being worn by humans.
I understand the argument about originals being supposedly short fitting for use with the trousers. however, every original example ive seen was what i would consider regular length, a couple of inches below the waist
like this
http://www.aviationancestry.com/Clothin ... 939-1.html

havocpaul

I have found many originals are short on the waist length, the same issues have been discussed in relation to the A-2 too. Modern jeans are worn alot lower than contemporary clothing, there'd be an outcry the the repro makers started lengthening all their fittings as standard; if you want extra inches then ask, Aero and Eastman and RMNZ are all accommodating in helping customers have the fit they want. I agree (again!) with John, I like the shorter lengths, they look better and dare I say, more authentic to their original design. I note the initial member states he's had this jacket since 1998 so it can't have been that bad!

Roughwear

I agree with Paul and John here. Wear the Irvin with 1940s high waisted trousers or sell it, but do not attempt to stretch it as it will rip.

xt40

here are some pix along with some pix of my b3 for comparison.
The eastman is a size 44 and the b3 is an aero size 42 which was washed and blasted in the dryer which reduced it at least a full size all over.

(edited to include links to flickr - the thing didnt work for me)
[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/55141342@N04/5113705497

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55141342@N04/5113705497
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55141342@N04/5114306798
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55141342@N04/5114306040
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55141342@N04/5113703425

Roughwear

Re: Advice about stretching an eastman 42 patt (now inc pix

The RAF jacket looks fine to me-correct proportions and a good fit.

havocpaul

Looks all good to me, we are often our worse critics and the more one looks the greater the imaginary issues seem! You have nice jackets so enjoy wearing them!

Cliff

I cannot see anything wrong with the fit or look either. If your still concerned about the waist "position" move it up !! ie get a better belt !! Its surprisingly comfortable wearing trousers higher ! ........ I am becoming my father aren't I ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

havocpaul

Cliff said:
Its surprisingly comfortable wearing trousers higher ! ........ I am becoming my father aren't I ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Or Simon Cowell :lol: !