• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 jackets in RAF

herk115

TOMG1401 said:
Let's not forget that quite a few UK Commonwealth pilots along with Chinese pilots and Poles, Czechs', Norwegian, etc... although experinced fliers in their native Air Forces were forced to go thru flight training in the US at that base in Arizona, whose name escapes me right now.

Williams?

rich

TOMG1401 said:
Let's not forget that quite a few UK Commonwealth pilots along with Chinese pilots and Poles, Czechs', Norwegian, etc... although experinced fliers in their native Air Forces were forced to go thru flight training in the US at that base in Arizona, whose name escapes me right now.

I don't think experienced fliers were sent overseas .......... but certainly many aircrew went abroad to learn their trade, including to Canada and South Africa. The US bases used were at
Sweetwater Texas, Terrell Texas, Ponca City Oklahoma, Miami Oklahoma, Lancaster California, Mesa Arizona and Clewiston Florida.

It must have been a miserable experience returning to a blacked-out, food-rationed, short-of-everything Britain after six or seven months in the States.

Smithy

Just some more info in relation to Unclegrumpy's last post.

Only 332 painted the "unofficial" version of the unit insignia on the shoulder of their A-2s (it is the same as that carried on many 332 Spits and is not the same as the official unit crest). 331 did not do this.

Spinners carrying the norwegian stripe colours in vimpel form were adopted in the latter stages of '43 and were exceedingly widespread by '45. This carried over into immediate postwar service in the Luftforsvaret. In fact Norwegian stripes were also seen during wartime on cannon barrels (eg Svein Heglund's Spit IXc MA568 FN-L), in place of the Sky Type S fuselage stripe and on the rudder.

Cheers,

Tim