• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 Jacket issue

blueleader

Hi,
I'm new to the forum and have had a question that's been bugging me for a while. Someone may be able to help.

I'm lucky enough to own a 1940's Liaison aircraft with a documented PTO combat history.

I've always wanted an A2 and I thought I'd try and get the same style A2 that the pilots that flew the aircraft had issued to them.

Most of the Liaison pilots that would have flown my aircraft, started their flying training/equipment issue in early 1943.

Unfortunately I can't get any clues from photographs as you don't see many pictures of Liaison pilots wearing A2's in the Pacific, due to the obvious heat and low altitudes they flew.

Is it possible to determine what contract jacket they would have been issued? Or is that like asking how long a piece of string is?

Even if I could narrow it down to a few contracts/makers that would be a start.

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum. The simple answer is no. A large number of contracts were placed in 1942 with production running into 1943. No contracts were awarded in 1943, but three were awarded in 1944 for repalcement jackets to Bronco, Dubow and Perry Sportswear. Earlier jackets were often re-issued to pilots which complicates the situation even further. Here is a link to A2 contracts from the Acmedepot site.

http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/a2hist.html

Contracts from the RW W535ac27752 were awarded in 1942 and order numbers from the Cable 42-10008-P date to 1942.

blueleader

Thanks for such a prompt reply.

That makes my decision easy. All I have to do is select the best looking A2

.......any suggestions ;)

Roughwear

The best looking and most stylist A2 is the Dubow 27798. Here are some pictures of one of my originals from this contract which was issued in the late Spring of 1942.

034-1.jpg

035-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

037-1.jpg

038-1.jpg

039.jpg

040-1.jpg

041.jpg

042-1.jpg

043-1.jpg

044-1.jpg

045-1.jpg

046.jpg

047-1.jpg

048-1.jpg

049-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

005-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

010-1.jpg

And here are some pics of my GW repro after 18 months of wearing.

001-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-3.jpg

005-4.jpg

007-4.jpg

008-3.jpg

009-4.jpg

010-3.jpg

011-3.jpg

Rutger

Welcome to the forum.

I feel the absence of a collarstand on the repro Dubow I recently acquired allows for better movement; the collarstand does have the effect of slightly pushing the collar against the neck, I'm more aware of it's presence in an uncomfy way whenever I turn my head or bend my neck forward.

The choice of jackets is endless and so are discussions about style. I like the tapered arms of the Werber (and the Dubow seems to have them tapered to the same extend as well), whereas others prefer the roomier arms of other contracts.
The style of collars seems to evoke the most heated style debates on the forum.

I'd suggest you post a handful of pics of your airplane so the Style Department can match your aircraft with the best of A2's available ;) . We like old airplanes anyway, so please do....

A

Anonymous

Others may say that the Monarch is the best looking, or perhaps the Werber.
My personal fav is the Rough Wear but recently I tried on a Dubow which was 1 size smaller than my size
and the fit was amazingly better than how my size fits. (I must add that I like trim fit)

Russ 27752

Roughwear said:
...but three were awarded in 1944 for repalcement jackets to Bronco, Dubow and Perry Sportswear...

Hello Roughwear - FNG here.

Would you please tell me what the order/contract numbers were for the Bronco, Dubow, and Perry replacement jackets that were let by the USAAF in 1944?

I'm also trying to narrow down contract years for the A-2 and the Acme Depot website, while a superb source of information, does not provide this data.

Regards,
Russ

Roughwear

Russ 27752 said:
Roughwear said:
...but three were awarded in 1944 for repalcement jackets to Bronco, Dubow and Perry Sportswear...

Hello Roughwear - FNG here.

Would you please tell me what the order/contract numbers were for the Bronco, Dubow, and Perry replacement jackets that were let by the USAAF in 1944?

I'm also trying to narrow down contract years for the A-2 and the Acme Depot website, while a superb source of information, does not provide this data.

Regards,
Russ

Russ,

The contract date for the Perry and Dubow A2s comes from a document dated 13 June, 1944, from Maj. Gen B.E. Meyers, Office, Assistant Chief of Air Staff, Materiel, Maintenance and Distribution shows the following which I have excerpted:

Perry Sportswear, Newburgh, New York, Jacket, leather, Type A-2 25,000
J.A. Dubow, Chicago, Ill Jacket, Leather, Type A-2 35,000

The Dubow contract was AC 1755 and the Perry was 1756 and Bronco was 1761. Contract numbers were awarded sequentially so the Bronco contract would have been issued on or shortly after 13th June 1944.

The list on theAcme Depot website does not supply contract dates. There are dates for the contracts in Full Gear, but some of these are wrong. I have researched A2 contracts and can give you the approximate or actual date of all the contracts.

Jason

Take a peek over at Marc's acmedepot website, where some of the subtle differences of A-2s are examined. There's a wealth of pictures here too of course. If you're really keen, you might even feel like ordering John Chapman's CD of flight jacket photos. Not sure if having all that information available will make your choice any easier, but at least you'll know what appeals to you by then.

Welcome to the forum, think that makes six of us Aussies here now? If you're going to Avalon next year, might see you there.

blueleader

Thanks for that information Andrew.

In my short time of researching A2 Jackets I found that the ones that appealed to me was the Dubow 27798 and it was great to see your GW repo. I've an A1 from JC arriving early in the new year, so I think I'll contact him on Monday and order the Dubow 27798, from the look of yours I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Rutger, I'll post a link to some pictures and history of the aircraft under "Plane Pic's" topic.
I'd be interested in the Style Department comments/recommendations :D

Jason, funny you should ask about Avalon. I was contacted only last month and asked if I could bring it down and put it on display. So if it's refurbishment is finished by then, which it should, I'll bring it down.

Cheers.

Andrew

Not quite the PTO, here's a good shot of a CBI Liaison pilot in Burma. No doubt the CSI Dept will have this disssected in no time.

"SGT George H. Goodfellow, a liaison pilot assigned to the 1st Air Commando Group, with L-5B 42-99640 "Angel of Mercy," a War Bond aircraft purchased by students of Greusel Intermediate School in Detroit, MI."

Liaison.jpg

A cheaper alternative for warmer days you could go with an M-41

L4B_Aircraft_circa_WWII.jpg

dmar836

Great shot, Andrew.

One of our esteemed members is working on another book - on the 1st Air Commandos no less. Should be a great read!

Blueleader, This author/member also has an L-2. Great stuff!

Dave

Pope

I have a friend I met through the WWII Glider Pilots Association who flew gliders with the 1st Air Commando. If forum member is interested I will ask my friend if he would be interested in talking to him. Very good guy. He is over 90 now.

Mike Pope