• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 flight jacket thread color

Dorek83

Hi all, do you have any knowledge about genuine color of thread using for contracts A2 jackets in mid brown?
Was it only beige, khaki or same as leather color as well?

Silver Surfer

Most were mid-dark brown or khaki. The exception was the one star contract that used a dark reddish brown thread. Often surviving examples will have light brown or khaki thread, and sometimes nearly white thread due to sun bleaching. Of note is the fact that on occasion you will find an original a-2 that has both brown and khaki thread used. Also, sometimes within the same contract, some of the jackets were made with brown thread, and some with khaki thread. The thread oddities are in common with other original a-2 oddities.

blackrat2

My Poughkeepsie has a bright almost appley green thread which according to JC is seen on a number of contracts

blackrat2

I am sure the shades alter particularly on exposed surfaces but I recall seeing couple posts on here where people have looked under pocket flaps etc and seen what is probably closer to the original colour..I am just passing on what has been noted by JC on not just Poughkeepsie but Roughwear, Aero 21996, Cooper and Bronco..I am sure it wouldn’t have been labelled “apple”, that’s probably me misleading but for sure it’s a bright od green

leper-colony

I am sure the shades alter particularly on exposed surfaces but I recall seeing couple posts on here where people have looked under pocket flaps etc and seen what is probably closer to the original colour..I am just passing on what has been noted by JC on not just Poughkeepsie but Roughwear, Aero 21996, Cooper and Bronco..I am sure it wouldn’t have been labelled “apple”, that’s probably me misleading but for sure it’s a bright od green
Yes, I agree with the match to the original state of the color. Sorry if it sounds otherwise.

Nickb123

I'll throw in the RW 27752 as another jacket that had the olive drab stitching. Oh, and Perrys tended to have more reddish thread.
The Perry I own has pretty much medium/golden brown thread throughout. Could be more commonly found in the other contracts. This one also lacks the three-piece wind flap.

811F533E-23CE-495F-9335-7C22070E881F.jpeg

With mention to the Star, I had an ELC star that had what I’d call “strawberry” stitching. It was cool - but apparently not all ELC Stars had it. Definitely red-pink.

Last edited:

Razorback

Hi everyone !
I'm new to this forum and i hope i didn't miss any presentation protocole before that first post ! If so i appologize and will correct this asap.
I just received my 5* J.A Dubow 20960 midbrown HH, size 44.
I wanted a rather early model/pre-war and understand this contract was.
I'm super happy with it, i'm not gonna emphasize here how nice it was to chat with Shawn while the jacket was being made, how fast it got delivered and all, as i get many of you here have had the same delightful experience already.
Back to the jacket, it perfectly fits my 182cm/90kg and i really like the overall shape, details (pertaining to the contract) leather thickness and coloration, the latest, HH midbrown, looking rather accurate from what i could figure out, after quite some reading (but i'm still a learner..)
I have just one question though, related to that topic... Thread color..
- What do you think of that rather bright orange/light brownish color for the thread, in term of historical accuracy i mean ?
Thanks all for your inputs !

Attachments

• IMG_20230410_121946.jpg
    IMG_20230410_121946.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20230410_122017.jpg
    IMG_20230410_122017.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20230410_122054.jpg
    IMG_20230410_122054.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 112

leper-colony

Welcome and nice jacket!

This contract was originally made in a olive green or tan thread.

Shawn seems to like this color that he has available. He did have an original jacket to patter from.

I have this same jacket from him as well- the closest thread, at the time, to me, was a light brown he had (other than a green).

blackrat2

Looks nice enough for sure, thread looks ok but it’s hard to say as thread on collar looks lighter than thread on another part of the jacket in the same pic which looks different, so I think it’s probably hard to picture but I haven’t heard anyone complain about the thread colour which looks ok to me and is correct, I went with Olive green which is also right and I am sure there was a post once possibly Grant? Of a Dubow with both colours present on
the one original jacket
Enjoy it

Razorback

Welcome and nice jacket!

This contract was originally made in a olive green or tan thread.

Shawn seems to like this color that he has available. He did have an original jacket to patter from.

I have this same jacket from him as well- the closest thread, at the time, to me, was a light brown he had (other than a green).

Thanks for your reply and the infos !
"Tan" is certainly the proper color name i was looking for, and then glad to know this color is realistic for this contract !

B-Man2

Hi Welcome to VLJ !
I have a couple of suggestions that may help.
First … It seems that each photo posted shows the jacket under different light and thus the jacket color looks different in each photo. The first photo looks light russet and the photo of the pocket looks like a dark russet. The thread color also looks different in each photo . If you could post photos taken in natural outdoor light that would help.
Secondly … please dispense with using thumbnail photos and post large images. It’s easily done and would help us answer your questions .
Cheers

Grant

Thread color varied depending on the contracts. Repro makers aren't always accurate on the thread color. From what I've seen the Dubow 20960 contract should have dark brown thread. John Chapman nails the thread color on his reproduction. Also, one small cool feature is the brown stitching of the size label.

Dubow.jpg

Good Wear Dubow 20960

dubow2.jpg

Razorback

Looks nice enough for sure, thread looks ok but it’s hard to say as thread on collar looks lighter than thread on another part of the jacket in the same pic which looks different, so I think it’s probably hard to picture but I haven’t heard anyone complain about the thread colour which looks ok to me and is correct, I went with Olive green which is also right and I am sure there was a post once possibly Grant? Of a Dubow with both colours present on
the one original jacket
Enjoy it
Thanks !
I must say on the pics Shawn initialy posted of that real Dubow he aquired, although a bit hard to tell for sure, the thread appeared to be "Tan", then checking elsewhere on the web for genuine pieces, i was also under the impression i was looking at tan/orangish thread.
I guess i just needed some experts validation ; )

mulceber

Thanks !
I must say on the pics Shawn initialy posted of that real Dubow he aquired, although a bit hard to tell for sure, the thread appeared to be "Tan", then checking elsewhere on the web for genuine pieces, i was also under the impression i was looking at tan/orangish thread.
I guess i just needed some experts validation ; )
The cotton thread has faded due to exposure to rain and sunlight over the years. On original A-2 jackets you can verify the original color by looking at concealed areas of the jacket, like the back of the collar.