• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A2 flight jacket thread color

leper-colony

Thanks for your reply and the infos !
"Tan" is certainly the proper color name i was looking for, and then glad to know this color is realistic for this contract !
Ah crap, I thought it was contract 27798, which my comments were directed towards. The thumbnails fooled me. Contract 20960 is brown thread as discussed above. It does appear Shawn used cognac on this contract as well.

Last edited:

2BM2K

Re. J.A Dubow 20960 thread colour.

It is probable that dark brown thread colour was commonly used but that tan colour
was also used. Here are two examples of originals;

d1.jpg

DSC_0082_zps10ca45a8.jpg

ZuZu

Re. J.A Dubow 20960 thread colour.

It is probable that dark brown thread colour was commonly used but that tan colour
was also used. Here are two examples of originals;

View attachment 104493

View attachment 104499
Interesting- I never noticed it before. In looking through my current morgue file of 20960 you're right! Out of 6 examples 4 are dark brown sewn and 2 are a muddy lighter brown. Learn something sometimes here!

The 2 examples of medium brown are the ones you put up- here's the 4 dark brown/almost black examples:

1ql.jpg

Image_06.jpg

IMG_2810.JPG

arm_seams.jpg

Thanks!

blackrat2

Sorry I was also replying to the wrong contract…!!, but yes try get pics in good natural lighting..I will just add it looks a great jacket so don’t stress about it

Razorback

Thanks guys ! Both for the welcome words and your inputs, learnt a lot already !
For those who mistook my jacket for a later 27798 no worries, i guess my photos were confusing.
That one pic showing the entire jacket is totaly off i realize, way too light and russet...
The close-up ones are reflecting the midbrown my jacket really is.
So basicaly i understand the thread color (we'll call it cognac?) on my 20960 is just about right, maybe a bit on the bright/too saturated side (which contrasts with the leather, even looked at from a far) but ok still in range of the Tan/light brown and i'll certainly live with it ; )
I'll post better daylight pics and if you're nice enough i might even display them correctly and not as thumbnails

Razorback

Hello,
to make it up for my poor pictures posted yesterday as thumbnails, here is a new set taken under France west coast gloomy morning daylight. I slightly adjusted the exposure, but they're faithful to what this 5* Dubow 20960 really looks (and tell why i was a bit doubtful at first sight, with that contrasting thread tan/orangeiissh color)
Cheers
IMG_20230411_093023.jpg
IMG20230411092654.jpg
IMG20230411092723.jpg
IMG_20230411_092847.jpg

B-Man2

That’s much better Razor. Now we can see the true color of everything and It looks very nice . The thread looks nice as well, now wear the piss out of your jacket. Wear it in rain and snow and leave it crumpled in the corner of your bedroom at night . In about a year that jacket will look awesome .

2BM2K

Also, I could be wrong, but from this jacket, it looks to me like Shawn has increased his stitch count, which is a tiny detail, but has been a consistent weakness in Five Star jackets.
But for a Dubow a higher stitch count is good.

I suspect that original Dubow's had a high stitch count compared to most other makers.

Razorback

I couldn't agree more, Shawn and the boys have done a super job. If i was to order a second one today, it wouldn't take long before i scroll down 5* leather jackets pages.
I'm glad you like it, i'm enjoying wearing it since i had it, can't wait to see it nicely aging !