• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 vs M-422

FlyingYankee

Have both and I have settled on the A2, G1 is heaviar and a little warmer. Check out the photos of john Chapman on Goodwear website as he can be seen wearing both.

galvestonokie

i agree on the ANJ3. i have taken my favorite early model G1 and replaced the mouton (bad shape) with goatskin. makes a very nice, very wearable and comfortable jacket. i have tried to like the A-2 for wearing, but am spoiled by the fit and wearability of the Navy jackets. bob

galvestonokie

sorry, but i can't agree with a previous post about G-1 series being heavier than A-2. there is lots of variation in leather thickness in both G-1 and A-2. it depends on the jacket, maker, etc., etc. bob

les_garten

M-422/G-1 without a doubt, not even close...

The A-2's have uncomfortable high tight armholes and the cut is like a box. Arms are tight.

My experience, a lot of A-2's are heavier(from the Leather itself), not by much though. The Mouton sometimes throws that off.

The Bi swing back, and all those panels, just makes a comfortable jacket, except Aero M-422a's. Something very wrong with them.

Goat is more comfortable than Horse or Cow IMO. Especially Good Goat. You can get an A-2 in Goat of course, but you still have that cut to deal with. This is a generalization of course.

Most Comfortable Jacket I have is Airphrog's hand me down LW G-1, followed by a G&B M-422a.

I have a stable of A-2's, I like the look, hate the feel of wearing them. Getting rid of a lot of them because they're just not comfortable to wear, for me at least. I've only had one ill-tempered NAVY pattern, and I divested myself of it.

I occasionally Trash LW jackets from time to time, but the Goat on my G-1 from them is superb to wear. I don't see myself letting it go anytime soon.

Stony

sorry, but i can't agree with a previous post about G-1 series being heavier than A-2. there is lots of variation in leather thickness in both G-1 and A-2. it depends on the jacket, maker, etc., etc. bob

WWII era Navy jackets and A-2s are about the same weight. G-1s from the 50s and later are definately heavier than an A-2.

CBI

My earlier comment about sizing is that I have owned about 20 original A-2's most all marked size 44. They all fit extremely well even with various different contracts. With the original M422's I have owned (about 10) the marked 44 or 46 were all over the map from oversized to just right to WAY too small.

Roughwear

les_garten said:
The A-2's have uncomfortable high tight armholes and the cut is like a box. Arms are tight.

I'm sorry to hear this. Which A2 contracts have high tight arm holes?

Cobblers161

I've tried both and am most definitely in the A-2 camp.

The navy jackets have a comfortable fit but the cut I find somewhat strange,a tight-ish midriff, long torso and wide shoulders, just not a fan of the look of the G-1 family at all. I am also no fan of mouton unless on a B-10.

As far as the comfort goes on the A-2 I have had one that was tight in the armholes but guess what? It was too small a size. Otherwise the fit is just right.

If it were to be based purely on aesthetics the A-2 would win hands down. Without wishing to sound like a teenager the A-2 is just so damn cool. Sharp!!!

les_garten

Roughwear said:
les_garten said:

I'm sorry to hear this. Which A2 contracts have high tight arm holes?

They all do.

Get out a Tape and measure across the armhole of your A-2s then pick any other jacket. G-1 about 10-11", A-2 8".

This is the Fit of the Jacket. That's how they are made. The fit is why a lot of folks never find an A-2 that "Fits" them. I'm not talkin' JacketHeads here, they'll wear a StraighJacket if it's from 1942 and smile while they're doing it! Especially if it has period Buckles and labels! I'm referring to the guy who puts on an A-2 that fits and says it doesn't. You run into this when you sell them. A guy wants a Jacket he saw on Steve McQueen but has no idea what it is going to "feel" like.

I have a lot of A-2's. Used to have about 40. Still have a bunch. Talk about crazy. But I have no illusions about them being Uber comfortable.

Now an A-2 that is REALLY worn in and shaped to you? It then becomes acceptable(not Uber comfortable, just acceptable) IMO. It's so limp it has lost the strength to fight you anymore.

JMHO, YMMV

Roughwear

It's not my experience with original A2s. Providing they are not too small I have had no issues with the arm holes or the fit.

les_garten

Roughwear said:
It's not my experience with original A2s. Providing they are not too small I have had no issues with the arm holes or the fit.

I got this nice 1942 StraightJacket I'm selling.

It is the Prestigious NutWear 42-27772-5150 Pattern as seen in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, the original never released underground Cult Cut with Steve McQueen playing Randle McMurphy and Marilyn Monroe playing Nurse Ratched.

Original Crown Buckles and Intact size label

From a Non smoking Asylum

Barely worn, not even broken in yet, with Provenance showing the first 10 Lunatics' medical records who ever wore it(some were famous and signed it)

Only vomited in twice!

PM for pricing and Livery charges(I'll mark it as Jacket parts for customs)

... J/K, a little Jacket Humor for the New Year!

Happy New Year BTW!

Straight_Jacket.jpg

omarco

^^^ haha!

I'm in the A2 camp as well, i much prefer the simplicity of the A2 especially in the back.. the navy jackets just don't look as good. End of. ;)