• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 vs M-422

marco77

All is in the title ...
So, what's your opinions guys ?
Leather , pratical daily wearing , historical interest ,etc .... ?

Marco

Dr H

Had you asked me last year I'd have said A-2.

Having worn an AN-J-3 (effectively an M-422A without the fluffy collar), I'd now say solidly M-422 for comfort and practicality, but the A-2 is still more iconic.

Having said that, I still prefer the A-1 to the A-2 (but marginally less practical if you have the 'full fat', small pocket version, rather than the Aero big pocket derivative - although the woollen collar is better in a rain storm/cold climate).

ButteMT61

Daily wearer, A-2. More comfortable and maybe versatile? Could be the G-1/M-422, etc. the fur makes them less usable most of the year (at least here) and they're usually slimmer fit, so unless you got it big, less able to bundle underneath. You need at least one of each. :)

A

Anonymous

the A-2 is easier for daily wear
the m422 has a more classy look to it, (the Navy have always been more classy, I remember the Naval officers saying that "The air force makes the air raid, the army marches in and the Navy hosts the reception" after the enemy place is conquered that is)

I guess it also depends on the rest of what you are wearing on that particular day, or where you need to go.

I like both designs equally, I think they are the greatest and most classic designs the leather jacket industry has to show.

CBI

Well, I do prefer the A-2 but really both are superb jackets, each have pros and cons. The one thing with Navy jackets is the fit is so all over the map that it has been hard for me to find one that fits. So small around the waist, so broad across the shoulders, so long in the arms, geeeeeez! and my build is pretty average.............

Dr H

CBI said:
Well, I do prefer the A-2 but really both are superb jackets, each have pros and cons. The one thing with Navy jackets is the fit is so all over the map that it has been hard for me to find one that fits. So small around the waist, so broad across the shoulders, so long in the arms, geeeeeez! and my build is pretty average.............

I've got an AN-J-3 that might fit the bill if your belly is slightly narrower than mine :roll:

Rutger

A2 is the classic. Minimum amount of panels & seams, yet it has all it needs.
Either add to or remove something from it and it will detract from the character of the A2.

M422 has too many panels/seams. When you see it from the back, well, seams all over the place, armpits ditto.
Though that makes it more comfy to wear, and (I assume) slighly more forgiving in the chest fitting region.
I don't like fur collars either.

Someone mention the A1? I didn't.

Roughwear

This question has been asked before and there is never a concensus on it. Same goes for comparing the Irvin with the B-3. Both jackets have their respective merits.

Dr H

Rutger said:
A2 is the classic. Minimum amount of panels & seams, yet it has all it needs.
Either add to or remove something from it and it will detract from the character of the A2.

M422 has too many panels/seams. When you see it from the back, well, seams all over the place, armpits ditto.
Though that makes it more comfy to wear, and (I assume) slighly more forgiving in the chest fitting region.
I don't like fur collars either.

Someone mention the A1? I didn't.

I did! ;)
The overall design of the back/shoulder gussets is busier, but makes the USN jacket better in use with arms raised in a car today (cockpit then).
I'm less keen on the mouton, which is why I prefer the AN-J-3.

stanier

CBI said:

I recognise this! I'd like to oredr a BK M-422 but the measurements I've received feel very long compared to my other jackets and certainly causing me to hesitate!

Stony

I have worn scores of both types over the years (original and repro) and the Navy jackets are so much more comfortable. IMO, A-2s are for show and not really a practical jacket. Don't get me wrong, they look good, but are not practical.

airfrogusmc

stanier said:
CBI said:

I recognise this! I'd like to oredr a BK M-422 but the measurements I've received feel very long compared to my other jackets and certainly causing me to hesitate!

Those early Navy jackets M 422s were longer in the body when compared to most of the later 7823 G-1s.

I love my BK W&G M 422...

A

Anonymous

FYI BK has made M-422 shorter for some customers and they were very satisfied with the results.