• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 Inside pockets

A

Anonymous

Well, blood chits and the ELC plain cotton pockets I get - you could hand stitch them to the lining, but the M42 para pockets would need to be stitched through the leather IMHO as you would need them anchored to something more substantial than an A-2 liner. They would be heavier and you might be tempted to overstuff them. Although that might spoil 'THE LOOK' :lol: You'd certainly want an A-2 with a bit of room around the waist.

I still prefer to use the WW2 moneybelt though :)

Dave :ugeek:

Lowflyer

Allright that'll be a long one..... ;)

jack aranda said:
Hi, LF:
I've visited Aero in Galashiels twice and I live in San Francisco, California. The train up from the south will let you off in Berwick with direct bus connection from there. Or the bus station in Edinburgh is only a ten-minute walk from the main train station. The bus ride down country from Edinburgh is scenic, and depending on the driver quite exciting. I love public transit in the UK. I look out the window, drink the awful coffee, and dream of all things UK-ish. And, once you and Will begin talking about jackets, whoa! the adrenalin kicks in. Will is great fun when he's working directly with you. I'd say take a trip up country. Besides, you'll be in Scotland!!! Oh, be still my heart! :D

I'd love to do that mate, I really do, but I had a look at the prices for a train ticket up there (public transport in the UK outside major cities, namely London, is ridiculously expensive if you ask me.....) and the cheapest return I could get would still be around 120gbp (which is about 190$ to put it into perspective....) so all of this would probably cut into my "jacket fund". I love the idea though I'll have a look if there's a cheaper way to get there (Ryanair maybe I'll have a look). But blimey, Frisco to Scotland for a jacket??? :eek: Wow talk about dedication.... :lol:

But, leaving the option of actually going there out, do you know if Aero provide try-on jackets (not sure what they're called, sizing-jackets maybe) which they send to customers for sizing purposes? I know some manufacturers keep some jackets on stock which they solely use to send to customers for sizing? I'll send them a mail and ask them anyway, I was just wondering if somebody here had experience with Aero as far as sizing goes. Because I send them my measurements (height, chest relaxed, chest expanded, stomach and waist) and based on that they recommended a size 42" for me, I just want to avoid having to wait another 6-8 weeks for a replacement to arrive......

Anyway I'm getting off topic here chaps sorry about that it just seemed like a good opportunity to ask this.... :oops:

JACKET_ HEAD said:
Low Flyer,
I'd be VERY wary of putting the airborne pockets inside a jacket. As they are bellows and quite thick, they will change how the jacket fits you quite dramatically IMHO. Especially if they have much stuffed in them. And if you had only one done, you might look lopsided.

For those occasions when you might want security, I'd look to Ebay for a period original money belt. Cost peanuts !!

Dave

I'll have a look on the Bay thanks for the info, but I would't even think about sewing big bulky pockets inside my A-2 as it would, as you rightly said, mess up the whole shape of the jacket, if I want to do that I'll use my Cooper A-2 which is much roomier anyway..... As I said the only items I'd use it for would be small paperwork (Tickets and Passport when travelling for example), a pen and maybe my iPod, that's it, I reckon the liner should be reasonably tough to support that little weight. I like the Eastman version but I'm nevertheless reluctant to punch unnecessary holes into the leather of my jacket....

thanks for your help so far guys!

cheers,

Max

A

Anonymous

It's worth a call to ELC to verify but my understanding was that the pockets were sewn to the lining only.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for clearing that up David. The full montage didn't load on my comp'.

All I can say is "YUK". Definately not for me !!

flightmac

I don't know how much this applies to the thread, but my modern issue (to me, early 1990's) Cooper A-2 was modified with inner pockets. There are 6" long zippers through the polyester lining on each side with 6" deep brown cotton pockets. There is also a 4.4" wide by 5.7" tall open top leather pocket sewn directly to the lining under the left zipper pocket. Sewn onto that patch pocket is a leather pen/pencil pocket 3.4" wide by 4.7" tall, divided in the center. Sounds like a lot, but it really didn't add to the bulk. It did really add to the utility of a travel jacket.

Being sewn directly to the lining hasn't been a problem, except a rip in the upper right shoulder seam. Polyester may be stronger than cotton, though, so that may explain why it's lasted over 10 years. However, after reading a recent thread on linings, I believe silk is the material to use. It's strong, could be considered appropriate to whatever time period, warmer than cotton (or polyester), and classy.