• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A-2 Donation idea

Andrew

Last year I was speaking to WWII vet Ed Crabtree and he told me that when he was a RAAF B-24 Skipper and flew with his US crew in 1944 they felt sorry for him as he was so poorly equipped and they arranged for him to get new AAF gear which included a .45 and an A-2. When he left the Squadron he kept the .45 but the A-2 had to go back.

http://www.imagecontrol.com.au/oldcmp/lib1.html

At the moment he's a volunteer helping rebuild the only Lib left in Australia. For a while now I've had this idea that It would be great to donate a jacket to him which would most likey go straight to their Museum as did the leather patches Jeff(DubowA-2) donated to him.

I was wondering if any other members might be interested in chipping in to help cover the cost of possibly a second hand GW when the right one comes up. Ties has generously already offered to make a 530thBS patch for it if it ever happened.

It'd be great to be able to credit each doner member of the international fraternity of the VLJ with this if it could happen. I'd like to acess the feasability of the idea so If you would like to contribute anything toward the idea pls let me know

Andrew

Thanks for the quick and generous replies Ben (Jack a randa), Jason, Steve and Carlo. With a start like that this might well get legs!

capt71

Andrew,
Great idea! My Dad was a B-24 pilot with the 528th BS (380th BG) at Fenton, so you can most definitely count on me for a donation :!:
Bill
P.S. at the link you included, if you click on the "Father's Photographs" link there, it takes you to 2 photos I sent a few years back.

Andrew

Excellent Peter and Peter, with Clark also volunteering ;) and with Ties doing the patch when he gets back from his travels in Sept that'll make 10 incl me.

Clark, I'm assuming anything from a 42-46 will do, but I don't expect that'll be too important as I'm sure it'll wind up on display.

On the strength of the response I threw a bid at one of CBI's eBay jackets and won it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2574wt_948
I think it's perfect for this project as I didn't expect we'd give away a top shelf jacket but this one is still a very nice example of Johns work.

I'll take a look at the $damage and get back to you all. In the meantime if you'd still like to contribute pls let me know. I want to make up a montage card with a mugshot and name of all involved to go with it. I'm also hoping to get to Melbourne in the near future to visit the hangar and Ed so it'd be great to have it ready- but with work this may not happen so it may have to be delivered.

Keep you posted.

Andrew

CBI said:
sure, count me in, sent you details via eBay email.

Ok, CBI got it thanks very much, with you an now Rich as well that makes 12 and the load even lighter for all involved.

You're right Ben, great fun. Anyone know what the best method to stencil/ stamp the lining with a name and number?

Andrew

Ok, after one more to make up 14 intotal. Cost should be around $22 each to be confirmed.

shiloh

Andrew said:
Last year I was speaking to WWII vet Ed Crabtree and he told me that when he was a RAAF B-24 Skipper and flew with his US crew in 1944 they felt sorry for him as he was so poorly equipped and they arranged for him to get new AAF gear which included a .45 and an A-2. When he left the Squadron he kept the .45 but the A-2 had to go back.

http://www.imagecontrol.com.au/oldcmp/lib1.html

At the moment he's a volunteer helping rebuild the only Lib left in Australia. For a while now I've had this idea that It would be great to donate a jacket to him which would most likey go straight to their Museum as did the leather patches Jeff(DubowA-2) donated to him.

I was wondering if any other members might be interested in chipping in to help cover the cost of possibly a second hand GW when the right one comes up. Ties has generously already offered to make a 530thBS patch for it if it ever happened.

It'd be great to be able to credit each doner member of the international fraternity of the VLJ with this if it could happen. I'd like to acess the feasability of the idea so If you would like to contribute anything toward the idea pls let me know

You can count me in as well.

Let me hear the details.

Regards,

Shiloh

Andrew

Thanks for that Shiloh, that's the 14. Still taking offers if anyone else is interested, it's makes the cost go down per member!

ausreenactor

Andrew...

I have my patched Flightsuits 40 Horsehide with the 530th BS patch good to go..

Do you a deal, I donate the jacket, pay you the winning price plus shipping for the Dubow??

Couchy..

Andrew

Today out of the blue I received a snail mail letter of appreciation from Ed Crabtree. Last month I helped put Ed and Jeff Wyatt (Dubow) in contact and Jeff sent him some Group and Squadron patches as he, like a lot of us just wanted to give back something. This is part of what Ed said;

"…the patches are now on display in our glass cases and receive lot of comments from visiting ex aircrew boys who knew our squadron. It is of great interest to me to find that the current generation are so interested.
As the younger people visit Gallipoli so we have a young group visiting our hanger and wondering how the damn thing got off the ground. We used to consider that it was only the curvature of the earth that assisted us into the air as we were often overloaded by about 10 000lbs… "

On the strength of this I’m sure that our group donation will be very much appreciated and will be of intense interest at the museum.

Ben (Jack A), Rich, Peter G, Peter (BDuck), Jason, Carlo, Steve (Cobblers), Steve (27752), Bill (Capt), Jeff K, John (CBI), Shiloh, Couchy and Ties, when you get a chance could you pls send a mugshot to my email address to add to a presentation card.

thanks guys, i'll keep you posted.

Andrew

siddhartha said:
Thanks Chris, with Marcel and now yourself I'll close it out now, as well have all the costs covered.

Just a reminder to all those already in and haven't done so, I'll need a headshot and your location to add to a montage page to go with it. The jackets on it's way from CBI and when Ties gets back from OS next month he'll make the patch. If I can get time tto get to Melbourne late Sept (Jason will also try) we might get to deliver it in person, otherwise well send it.

Thanks to all who responded.

Andrew

Received the jacket today from CBI (thanks for that John), and it's a beauty, perfect for this job and it has the look of an original. It's tagged 46 but is probably more like a 42 with shortish arms but room around the middle. I spoke to a rep at the Museum about Ed's size and this sounds like it'll be a perfect fit.

Anyhow, here's a few shots, the patch is one Ties made for me recently to give an idea of what it's going to look like;

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg