• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

34th Bomb Squadron

shedonwanna

Here is the back of the current Friends Journal and an image of one of my reproductions on leather signed by Cole. It's been several years since I've visited the AF Museum.

34thbs_griffin_raider.jpg

34thbs_cole.jpg

zoomer

The 34th is notable for having been a pursuit, attack, light, medium, heavy, and tactical bombing outfit at various times.

The tooled patch is appropriate as they were stationed in Italy during 1943-'44.

shedonwanna

zoomer said:
The 34th is notable for having been a pursuit, attack, light, medium, heavy, and tactical bombing outfit at various times.

The tooled patch is appropriate as they were stationed in Italy during 1943-'44.

I had asked Dick if his patch was cloth or leather and he did not recall - so I made a leather one for him and had him sign mine. He comes to the Wings Over Houston airshow almost every year. Archie Donahue and Tex Hill were also regular attendees. Griffin's jacket has a great example of a pre-war cloth 34th. The 34th still uses a version of the thunderbird and the squadron is now part of the 388th fighter wing. My dad was 388th BG and we have visited the 388th FW for reunions a few times.