• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1/Lt. William M. Dauchy 307th FS P-80 Ashtray from 1946

oose

Hi all,
Hope you all had a fine Christmas! I finally got around to getting a few things, I picked this unusual ashtray up, it seems to come from that post war occupation period and one of the earliest US P-80 jet units. This is all the information I have on 1/Lt. William M. Dauchy, if anyone can add to it I would be grateful.

1/Lt. William M. Dauchy
338th FS - 15 April 1945 - Unknown

Army Serial Number - O-683978
Trained in 'A' Flight in Florida on P-40's and set sail for England in March 1945.
15 April 1945 - Joined the 338th Fighter Squadron
26 May 1945 - Promoted from 2nd Lieutenant to 1st Lieutenant
21 October 1945 - Went on 7 days leave
24 October 1945 - Appointed Flight Leader
01 February 1946 - Appointed Squadron Instrument Check Pilot
25 February 1946 - Temporary Duty to Munich to take Regular Army examinations

338th FS
After the German capitulation, the unit became part of the United States Air Forces in Europe Army of Occupation, at AAF Station Kaufbeuren, then moved to AAF Station Giebelstadt in early 1946 where it received its first jet aircraft, the P-80A Shooting Star. Ii was inactivated in August 1946, when personnel were demobilized and its aircraft were transferred to the 31st Fighter Group.

307th FS, 31st FG
Reactivated from elements of several inactivating organizations in Germany in August 1946, Performed occupation duty and operating early-model P-80A Shooting Star jets from former Luftwaffe jet-capable airfields at Giebelstadt and Kitzingen. Returned to the United States in June 1947 without personnel or equipment which remained in Germany.

Later on he seems to have been promoted up to Major and in charge of air force recruiting in the 1960's.

All the best
Stu

oose

Hi all thanks for the positive response, you never know the aluminium could be made from melted down P-51's! which they were breaking up at Kitzingen in 1946! ;)

Little bit more on 1/Lt. William M. Dauchy

Born on February 04, 1920 in New York, United States
Died on June 29, 1997 at the age of 77.
Married Marian Burnham Curtis in 1944

Troy Country Day School
Deerfield Academy
Rensselaer Polytechnic (Delta Kappa Epsilon Fraternity)

1942 17th June Enlisted Air Corps
1944 Harlington Texas AAF Training
Army Serial No. 12095992
Height 67 inch
Weight 118Ibs

1949 temporarily stationed Asbury NJ
1956 now a Captain stationed at Waco Texas

All the best
Stu

oose

Hi all,
ashtray arrived today, given it a sympathetic clean and its just what I hoped it would be. I'm always on the look out for this early post war jet age items and this one sit great in my collection. I'm still after a better photograph of Lt Dauchy, if anyone comes across one please let me know any info on his Korean war exploits.

As I can't edit previous entries here is all the info I have on him.

Born on February 04, 1920 in New York, United States
Died on June 29, 1997 at the age of 77  Nueces, Texas, United States
Engaged to Marian Burnham Curtis in 1944
Married Mary Simmons of Blackpool England married in Lancashire 1947
Had two sons.
William Simmons Dauchy
DAUCHY — Bom at Southslde District Hosp, Mesa, Ariz, 17 Feb 1951, to Capt & Mrs William M Dauchy, a son, William Simmons.
&
Richard Moor Dauchy

Education
Troy Country Day School
Deerfield Academy
Rensselaer Polytechnic (Delta Kappa Epsilon Fraternity) Studying Business administration

USAAF/USAF
1940 Began flying at Troy airport under civilian pilot training program
1942 17th June Enlisted Air Corps
1943 Harlington Texas at Blackland AFB Waco Texas AAF Training

1/Lt. William M. Dauchy
338th FS - 15 April 1945 - Unknown (August 1946)?

Army Serial Number - O-683978
Trained in 'A' Flight in Florida on P-40's and set sail for England in March 1945.
15 April 1945 - Joined the 338th Fighter Squadron
26 May 1945 - Promoted from 2nd Lieutenant to 1st Lieutenant
21 October 1945 - Went on 7 days leave
24 October 1945 - Appointed Flight Leader
01 February 1946 - Appointed Squadron Instrument Check Pilot
25 February 1946 - Temporary Duty to Munich to take Regular Army examinations

338th FS, 55th FG
After the German capitulation, the unit became part of the United States Air Forces in Europe Army of Occupation, at AAF Station Kaufbeuren, then moved to AAF Station Giebelstadt in early 1946 where it received its first jet aircraft, the P-80A Shooting Star. It was inactivated in August 1946, when personnel were demobilized and its aircraft were transferred to the 31st Fighter Group.

307th FS, 31st FG
Reactivated from elements of several inactivating organizations in Germany in August 1946, Performed occupation duty and operating early-model P-80A Shooting Star jets from former Luftwaffe jet-capable airfields at Giebelstadt and Kitzingen. Returned to the United States in June 1947 without personnel or equipment which remained in Germany.

Flying instructor post war in US.
1949 temporarily stationed Asbury NJ
"13th Feb 1952 Officer’ Wife, Son Sail On Queen Mary to England BRITAN, Feb. 12, Mrs. W. M. Dauchy and son of 401 Oak Street, Bryan, have departed for a visit to her girlhood home, Blackpool, England. They sailed Thursday night from New York on the Queen Mary. Captain Dauchy. of Bryan Air Force Base, and his wife and son came to Bryan last August from Williams Air Force Base. Arizona. He was married to his English sweetheart, the former Miss Mary Simmons, in her home in England in 1947. Captain Dauchy plans to join his wife and son for a month’s visit in May."

In Korea flew night bomber Intruder missions (B-26 squadron?)

1956 now a Captain stationed at Waco Texas
"26th May 1956 Capt. and Mrs. William M. Dauchy and sons Billy and Ricky of Enid, Okla., are visiting Capt. Dauchy's mother, Mrs. William P. Dauchy. They will go from here to Waco, Tex., where Capt Dauchy will be stationed."  
Later on he seems to have been promoted up to Major and in charge of air force recruiting in the 1960's.

He Retired 1/11/1963

All the best
Stu