• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newcomer Here. Question on Five Star A-2 Jacket styles.

Chandler

So I really don't have a specific thing that draws me in which would point me in a particular direction that I can identify. I just love the jackets and would love to find one that works for me.
Sounds like you're on the ground floor of getting interested in learning about WW2 kit (as we all were at one point). I'll bet you zero in on something that will become your favorite before long (Masters of the Air will be released soon -- should spark some interest in what you see).

But @mulceber is right, start with a Five Star to get your feet wet and then drink in all you can learn.

B-Man2

Hi Chuck
Welcome to the forum .
The good news is that when you ask for advice or recommendations from this forum, you will get a great deal of knowledge and accurate information on the subject . The bad news is that it will come at you in volumes , sort of like trying to take a drink from a fire hose. Everything you’ve been told so far is good spot on info . So consider this one additional piece of advice . Regardless of what jacket contract you determine might be best for you , DuBow, Bronco , Roughwear , etc. keep in mind one thing. If you order a custom made jacket from 5 Star or GW or Aero , that jacket is going to be made to your body type and dimensions that you provide .
So all the contracts will fit you if you decide to go that route . The second thing is that if you have a jacket that fits you perfectly, just the way you’d like an A2 to fit , you can send that jacket to 5 Star or wherever and they will use that jacket as a “go by” to make your new jacket so that it will fit you nicely .
So don’t fret over which contract is best for you because 5 Star will tweak a contract to fit you . The key is knowing your measurements or providing them a jacket that you feel fits you perfectly .
Good Luck with your search .

I haven’t bought a Five Star A-2 myself. My wife has a Dubow which works well for her. If I were ordering one now, I’d either get a Poughkeepsie in Shawn’s cowhide or horse hide, or get a Rough Wear in goatskin and ask him to give it an 18091 label (Rough Wear’s sole goatskin contract). My reasons: I love Rough Wears and I’ve heard great things about the fit of the Poughkeepsie contract.

As for HH vs. goat - I’ve handled both. His HH is fine. The goatskin he developed for the Dubow is the nicest goatskin you’re likely to find without going to Good Wear.
Can you tell me what you like so much about Rough Wear? I'm still in the phase where they all look pretty much the same to me other than maybe slight differences in Collar shape.

Hi Chuck
Welcome to the forum .
The good news is that when you ask for advice or recommendations from this forum, you will get a great deal of knowledge and accurate information on the subject . The bad news is that it will come at you in volumes , sort of like trying to take a drink from a fire hose. Everything you’ve been told so far is good spot on info . So consider this one additional piece of advice . Regardless of what jacket contract you determine might be best for you , DuBow, Bronco , Roughwear , etc. keep in mind one thing. If you order a custom made jacket from 5 Star or GW or Aero , that jacket is going to be made to your body type and dimensions that you provide .
So all the contracts will fit you if you decide to go that route . The second thing is that if you have a jacket that fits you perfectly, just the way you’d like an A2 to fit , you can send that jacket to 5 Star or wherever and they will use that jacket as a “go by” to make your new jacket so that it will fit you nicely .
So don’t fret over which contract is best for you because 5 Star will tweak a contract to fit you . The key is knowing your measurements or providing them a jacket that you feel fits you perfectly .
Good Luck with your search .
That is a really good point. I need to nail down my sizing for sure. Thanks!

mulceber

Can you tell me what you like so much about Rough Wear? I'm still in the phase where they all look pretty much the same to me other than maybe slight differences in Collar shape.
Oof, how to answer that?

As far as I’m concerned it’s really the quintessential A-2 jacket. Love the assertive collar, the pocket flaps are stylish without being over the top, it’s got a cut that lends itself to blousing (the waist knits gripping your waist and the leather part overhanging them). And they were a great company: had more A-2 contracts than any other, but also won contracts for D-1s, B-3s, and then, after the A-2 was discontinued, the B-10, B-15 and B-15A.

Here’s an original Rough Wear posted on here by @Wz1999 a while back:
IMG_5857.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeff1966

Hi guys. Been reading for quite a while, but first time posting. Forgive my ignorance. I have searched the site and found some good information but looking for some specifics.
e
I am looking at getting into the Military history jackets phase of my life and I am going to start with the A2. Because I am not sure that this will stick with me (or my wife I am not ready to spend $$$ on a GW, Eastman, etc. So I am looking at getting a five star A-2. I emailed Shawn to ask about different fits of these different contracts and he referred me to ask on this forum. So here we are.

I am looking at getting a horsehide A-2. I am 42, 5'10, 175 lbs. I would say that I am a generally athletic build with a hint of a dad gut that I have become skilled at sucking in to continue wearing 32" pants and when taking photographs.

Questions.

1. I have scoured the internet (Goodwear, Eastman, Bill Kelso, forums, etc) to see how different contracts fit. Still murky waters in my brain for sure. For those who have had five star repros would you say that the fit of those mirrors fairly consistently those of the descriptions from GW, BK etc? I guess I am asking if a Star or Bronco or RW description on GW will be consistent with what shows up from five star. I know there is variation, but generally.

2. What seems to be the most popular contract for guys with a similar build to me who are looking for a good jacket that is not baggy and weird. That good balance of looking trim, but still comfortable. I have been leaning on the Bronco and Star due to descriptions on those sites mentioned, but I am open to other ideas. Five star looks like they offer Bronco, Werber, Star, Rough Wear, Doninger, Dubow, maybe others I am missing.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!
What are you going to where it for. I ask because of you get the correctly fit A2 you're not going to be doing much moving around in some styles.

Kermit3D

The good news is that when you ask for advice or recommendations from this forum, you will get a great deal of knowledge and accurate information on the subject . The bad news is that it will come at you in volumes , sort of like trying to take a drink from a fire hose.
Ahah ! I had this experience a few years ago. I haven't finished mopping up the excess water yet. :D

Welcome @chucktaylor90 , this is a great forum with great members.
The science of the A-2 jacket is more complicated than it seems...

Here's my humble opinion:

Fivestar is an excellent approach. The jackets are of good quality, the fit is pretty good and the possibility of getting a custom jacket is a real advantage. Plus Shawn (the man behind the Fivestar company) communicates very well and I think he'll go out of his way to help you.

There's also AVI Leather. The A-2 looks good (although I prefer their USN jackets). I don't think they do custom work, but they can meet specific requests. Communication also seems very good, and delivery times acceptable.

IMHO I think the best value for money is JA Dubow. It's clearly a step up from Fivestar and AVI, but the downside is that you don't get any customization: it's bound to be a Dubow and you don't get custom sizing.
Another very important point is that communication can be complicated... and delivery time very uncertain.

Now, if you decide to stay with us on this forum (which of course we hope you will), be warned of one thing : it's a slippery slope. Here's what's going to happen :
1. I'd like an A-2 jacket at a reasonable price (here you are).
2. I got this A-2 at a reasonable price, I don't need any other jacket.
3. I know and understand more and more the subtleties of A-2 jackets. I'd like a more precise, higher-end A-2... let's see what's on the second-hand market.
4. I've got my new top-of-the-range used A-2, it's gorgeous, but... the collar shape? ummm I'm not sure about the sleeve fit, ... isn't the leather too shiny? ... gnagnagna
5. I need an A-2 custom made Goodwear... what ? 2 years waiting ? I should have ordered sooner.
6. 2 years and 3 jackets later: I've got the ultimate A-2 Goodwear! I don't need anything else...
7. ... Oh wait, I love the look of this G-1 !

That's why the best advice I can give you is to go straight to step 5. In the end, it's the least expensive way... believe me.

Last edited:

Brettafett

Getting a budget option at the outset is a good idea.
AVI Leather, 5* and Headwind's new budget range are all based/ copied off originals, so have relative degrees of authenticity.

Get to know how well (or not) an A-2 works for you (you may prefer the USN G-1s with bi-swing backs for example).
Get to know your fit, your size. If its not comfortable, you wont wear it.
You may want to try different contracts, a Dubow's pattern is quite different to a Roughwear. Collar stands vs no collar stands, for example.

Once you know what works for you, then you will likely want a higher end jacket.
$200 down on a GW, then let that ship sail. Put some cash aside each month. A lot can be gleaned in 1.5 to 2 years.

Oh, and enjoy the process.

Last edited:

Lorenzo_l

Welcome aboard @chucktaylor90. I've got nothing to add that has not been said except that, in this forum, if you ask for help, you get it in spades (or, as a forum member likes to say, "Ask and ye shall receive"). This is an extremely friendly and helpful bunch you see.
Good luck in your quest for a jacket. You've just taken your first step down a (very) slippery slope. You've been warned.

Last edited:

Micawber

A lot of time and potential disappointment can be avoided if you get yourself measured up by someone who knows what they are doing or who has common sense and can follow instructions on how to measure correctly. Once you have the data pass them to Shawn at 5* or whoever you choose and let them advise. Buying a jacket online based on size labels can be somewhat hit and miss.

foster

Foster, I was actually agreeing with you, Dubow without the contract # is vague... 5* or GW may have more than one contract # of the same manufacturer.

D
I apologize for replying poorly yesterday. I came to VLJ to escape some work related stress, and my mind was not in the right attitude. Please forgive my rushed and not thought-out reply.

You are absolutely correct, as the different contracts from the same contractor do have their differences in some cases.

Back on subject, I have to agree that the Rough Wear is a quintessential A-2 and an excellent starting point. I think the primary reason some dislike it is the collar, but personal preference is the key with that. I for one am impressed with the Rough Wear collar shape when worn.

Ahah ! I had this experience a few years ago. I haven't finished mopping up the excess water yet. :D

Welcome @chucktaylor90 , this is a great forum with great members.
The science of the A-2 jacket is more complicated than it seems...

Here's my humble opinion:

Fivestar is an excellent approach. The jackets are of good quality, the fit is pretty good and the possibility of getting a custom jacket is a real advantage. Plus Shawn (the man behind the Fivestar company) communicates very well and I think he'll go out of his way to help you.

There's also AVI Leather. The A-2 looks good (although I prefer their USN jackets). I don't think they do custom work, but they can meet specific requests. Communication also seems very good, and delivery times acceptable.

IMHO I think the best value for money is JA Dubow. It's clearly a step up from Fivestar and AVI, but the downside is that you don't get any customization: it's bound to be a Dubow and you don't get custom sizing.
Another very important point is that communication can be complicated... and delivery time very uncertain.

Now, if you decide to stay with us on this forum (which of course we hope you will), be warned of one thing : it's a slippery slope. Here's what's going to happen :
1. I'd like an A-2 jacket at a reasonable price (here you are).
2. I got this A-2 at a reasonable price, I don't need any other jacket.
3. I know and understand more and more the subtleties of A-2 jackets. I'd like a more precise, higher-end A-2... let's see what's on the second-hand market.
4. I've got my new top-of-the-range used A-2, it's gorgeous, but... the collar shape? ummm I'm not sure about the sleeve fit, ... isn't the leather too shiny? ... gnagnagna
5. I need an A-2 custom made Goodwear... what ? 2 years waiting ? I should have ordered sooner.
6. 2 years and 3 jackets later: I've got the ultimate A-2 Goodwear! I don't need anything else...
7. ... Oh wait, I love the look of this G-1 !

That's why the best advice I can give you is to go straight to step 5. In the end, it's the least expensive way... believe me.
HA! I can definitely see it going this way. You mentioned JA Dubow. On his site it says that they arent taking any new orders as of Feb 2022. Any insight on that?