• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newcomer Here. Question on Five Star A-2 Jacket styles.

Hi guys. Been reading for quite a while, but first time posting. Forgive my ignorance. I have searched the site and found some good information but looking for some specifics.
e
I am looking at getting into the Military history jackets phase of my life and I am going to start with the A2. Because I am not sure that this will stick with me (or my wife I am not ready to spend $$$ on a GW, Eastman, etc. So I am looking at getting a five star A-2. I emailed Shawn to ask about different fits of these different contracts and he referred me to ask on this forum. So here we are.

I am looking at getting a horsehide A-2. I am 42, 5'10, 175 lbs. I would say that I am a generally athletic build with a hint of a dad gut that I have become skilled at sucking in to continue wearing 32" pants and when taking photographs.

Questions.

1. I have scoured the internet (Goodwear, Eastman, Bill Kelso, forums, etc) to see how different contracts fit. Still murky waters in my brain for sure. For those who have had five star repros would you say that the fit of those mirrors fairly consistently those of the descriptions from GW, BK etc? I guess I am asking if a Star or Bronco or RW description on GW will be consistent with what shows up from five star. I know there is variation, but generally.

2. What seems to be the most popular contract for guys with a similar build to me who are looking for a good jacket that is not baggy and weird. That good balance of looking trim, but still comfortable. I have been leaning on the Bronco and Star due to descriptions on those sites mentioned, but I am open to other ideas. Five star looks like they offer Bronco, Werber, Star, Rough Wear, Doninger, Dubow, maybe others I am missing.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!

mulceber

Personally, I wouldn't bother looking at anything other than...
  • Dubow
  • Poughkeepsie
  • Rough Wear
  • Star Sportswear
These are the ones where Shawn was able to examine an original in person, so his repros of these are going to be better. Any other repros just involved him looking at some pictures and saying "yeah, I can replicate that."

Dubows are pretty popular, as they're the first original Shawn got to examine, and the goatskin is really nice. Star wouldn't be bad either. A lot of guys around here have had good luck with the Poughkeepsie.

FreddyF9

• Dubow
  • Poughkeepsie
  • Rough Wear
  • Star Sportswear
These are the ones where Shawn was able to examine an original in person, so his repros of these are going to be better. Any other repros just involved him looking at some pictures and saying "yeah, I can replicate that."

Dubows are pretty popular, as they're the first original Shawn got to examine, and the goatskin is really nice. Star wouldn't be bad either. A lot of guys around here have had good luck with the Poughkeepsie.
Totally agree, I deeply recommend the Dubow that is IMO the best A-2 by FiveStar, if you like goatskin.
Anyway, all the 4 contact listed by Jan are solid repros copied directly out of original A-2.
All that said, welcome on board!

foster

Bronco is not a contractor I would recommend if you have any visible aspects of a dad gut.

Rough Wear is a good option, as is DuBow and Poughkeepsie / Aero.

Last edited:

Dany McDonald

Chuck,

I was also gonna say Dubow but from Greece. Just browse this forum and read about Platon offering and how you can't go wrong. And the resale value is way above 5*, in case... ;)

This contract (Dubow) is generally more comfortable to wear than most other A-2's.

Dany

bseal

Bronco is not a contract I would recommend if you have any visible aspects of a dad gut.

Rough Wear is a good option, as is DuBow and Poughkeepsie / Aero.

Bronco!

IMG_2291.jpeg

• Dubow
  • Poughkeepsie
  • Rough Wear
  • Star Sportswear

This is great. It points me in a good direction. Seeing your picture, you like like a similer build to me. Any favorite versions that you prefer?

mulceber

This is great. It points me in a good direction. Seeing your picture, you like like a similer build to me. Any favorite versions that you prefer?
I haven’t bought a Five Star A-2 myself. My wife has a Dubow which works well for her. If I were ordering one now, I’d either get a Poughkeepsie in Shawn’s cowhide or horse hide, or get a Rough Wear in goatskin and ask him to give it an 18091 label (Rough Wear’s sole goatskin contract). My reasons: I love Rough Wears and I’ve heard great things about the fit of the Poughkeepsie contract.

As for HH vs. goat - I’ve handled both. His HH is fine. The goatskin he developed for the Dubow is the nicest goatskin you’re likely to find without going to Good Wear.

Last edited:

Chandler

Here's a query from a different direction; Chuck -- why are you interested in "military history jackets," and the A-2 in particular?

So many of us have been in to WW2 history for a long time and our specific interests tend to drive what we want to own to wear.

I like the era that led up to the U.S. involvement in the war, so I like the pre-war contracts and that drives what I look for.

So how about you, what drew you in to the world of the flight jacket (repro or otherwise)?

Dany McDonald

A couple of pics of me to give you an idea of my build. 5'10 175

According to what you just posted, I think you will be fine with any contract/manufacturer... But...
That good balance of looking trim, but still comfortable.

You are looking for a slimmer fit, rather than a blousy look, and that's where it becomes tricky with the A-2 pattern. That could make a difference between lets-say a size 38 or 40.

You could go for a size 42 but with a trimmer pattern, or a size 40 with a more comfortable pattern to get the look you are looking for.

Can you post an image of someone wearing the A-2 fit that you are looking for?

I keep forgetting you are specifically asking for 5* advise...

Dany

Here's a query from a different direction; Chuck -- why are you interested in "military history jackets," and the A-2 in particular?

So many of us have been in to WW2 history for a long time and our specific interests tend to drive what we want to own to wear.

I like the era that led up to the U.S. involvement in the war, so I like the pre-war contracts and that drives what I look for.

So how about you, what drew you in to the world of the flight jacket (repro or otherwise)?
This is a great question and one that made me pause and ask myself the same question. I guess there are a lot of reasons.

- I have always been fascinated with WW2 history. Probably because of my Grandpa's experiences in the war. He was on a destroyer in the pacific. So a Naval jacket will probably be in my future.
- I spent a couple of years in England and learned a lot about the war from that angle.
-I am restoring an old Willys Jeep (Not WW2 era) and that has sparked a renewed interest war and time period.
- I have been following the Second World War tweets from 1939 on twitter for a few years. (which is awesome and I heartily recommend)
- And I just think that the designs from this time period were so dang timeless and good looking.

So I really don't have a specific thing that draws me in which would point me in a particular direction that I can identify. I just love the jackets and would love to find one that works for me.

mulceber

This is a great question and one that made me pause and ask myself the same question. I guess there are a lot of reasons.

- I have always been fascinated with WW2 history. Probably because of my Grandpa's experiences in the war. He was on a destroyer in the pacific. So a Naval jacket will probably be in my future.
- I spent a couple of years in England and learned a lot about the war from that angle.
-I am restoring an old Willys Jeep (Not WW2 era) and that has sparked a renewed interest war and time period.
- I have been following the Second World War tweets from 1939 on twitter for a few years. (which is awesome and I heartily recommend)
- And I just think that the designs from this time period were so dang timeless and good looking.

So I really don't have a specific thing that draws me in which would point me in a particular direction that I can identify. I just love the jackets and would love to find one that works for me.
You’ve got the bug. Best advice, get that Five Star, and get in line for a Good Wear: you don’t have to pick any one jacket in particular, and the wait will give you plenty of time to decide whether you want another A-2, a Navy jacket, or something else entirely.

Last edited: